Crime scene forensics, plus bugs

The Saturday Morning Science program at UT kicks off with a presentation about forensic entomology -- the role of insect evidence in determining a time of death. People who watch CSI and other types of crime shows should be all over this! The speaker is Ryan Kimbirauskas from Michigan State.

A free light breakfast is served -- I would definitely eat BEFORE the talk, not during or after :-)

Univ. of Toledo, Saturday (Feb. 15th) at 930 AM in Wolfe Hall 1205.

Call Joseph Schmidt at 419-530-1512 for more info.

created by viola on Feb 13, 2014 at 05:08:55 pm     Comments: 13

source      versions      1 person liked this

Much as I appreciate the head's up, and I think it has all the earmarks of an interesting lecture, there is no way in the world that I'm going to attend a presentation involving the direct relationship between insects, dead bodies and time of death.

posted by madjack on Feb 13, 2014 at 06:42:29 pm     #

2nd that motion. I have no taste for chocolate covered ants.

posted by Mariner on Feb 13, 2014 at 07:04:33 pm     #

I had a class about this at the FBI National Academy in Quantico during the early 90's.

Its a very interesting topic!

posted by shamrock44 on Feb 13, 2014 at 07:07:12 pm     #

Yes, for a certain type of person this topic is gold. I can't decide whether to go or not ... but so much of prime time TV these days involves slasher deaths, crime scene analysis, corpse decay, etc. Seems like all of America should be at that lecture!

posted by viola on Feb 13, 2014 at 08:55:38 pm     #

My a posteriori observation of personal premature decomposition preclude involvement with this lecture. I do appreciate the notification and intend to call to inquire if there might be another in the series more suitable to my delicate sensibilities. We should all take advantage of the gem that is TU. (it's TU not UT it's the Cherry Bridge not the MLK bridge)

posted by Mariner on Feb 14, 2014 at 07:56:17 am     #

Dinosaur extinction on Feb. 22 and Test Kitchen Chemistry on April 5, among others. Their Facebook link:

posted by viola on Feb 14, 2014 at 10:52:31 am     #

Thks V. :}

posted by Mariner on Feb 14, 2014 at 01:57:22 pm     #

viola posted at 07:55:38 PM on Feb 13, 2014:

My thoughts exactly. Seems like everyone and their Aunt Min loves everything "Zombie".

I'm quite squeamish when it comes to watching something like open heart or plastic surgery on TV but, for some reason, I do find this topic quite fascinating. I was amazed to learn that there are actually "body farms" where decomposition is studied for forensic purposes.

posted by Foodie on Feb 14, 2014 at 04:01:58 pm     #

Hork! I shouldn't have read that comment before breakfast!

Along similar lines, when some wildlife professionals were re-releasing a native "burying beetle" in this area recently, they carefully added a dead dove in each hole in the ground to get the baby beetles started. Aww, how cute :-)

posted by viola on Feb 15, 2014 at 09:18:51 am     #

Yah know, there are some things I really would rather not have knowledge about. For example the ob/gyn tradecraft. It's just none of my darn business. Patooheee.

posted by Mariner on Feb 15, 2014 at 10:52:14 am     #

Mariner, I hope you aren't equating rotting dead bodies with ob/gyn subjects?

LOLOLOL

posted by shamrock44 on Feb 15, 2014 at 12:19:25 pm     #

Ah boyo, faith and begorrah! Don't be puttin' me agin the other side bein' so hopelessly outnumbered and outclassed now. The reference was that some mysteries are best left unsolved and left to better minds than mine own.

posted by Mariner on Feb 15, 2014 at 01:57:41 pm     #   1 person liked this