Carpentry Help/Ideas Needed Please

I need some idea help. The company that I work for wants to put in a bar for presentation purposes - we would not be serving alcohol, but it will help us display one of our products very nicely.

We think having one custom-built will be too expensive (We think $5,000 to $10,000) so I have been looking for a use one. I found one at an auction in Michigan, but can't figure out how to get it taken apart and moved to Toledo. I went and looked at it today, and unfortunately, the two guys I took with me just seemed to be really closed minded about how this could be done, instead they kept throwing up roadblocks.

My question to TT's - any ideas on how this bar can be taken apart and at least the top of it saved and moved to Toledo? Here is a pic:

It is about 15' × 25'. I am most interested in saving the top and the pointed end that is shown in one of the pics.

I'm thinking the metal front panel can be taken off, the drywall underneath could be ripped out and the frame could then be sawed off, to preserve the top. Any ideas or thoughts on if that would work? Or how better to do it? The top is tongue and groove board glued to particle boards which is probably nailed or screwed to the frame.

Thanks for your ideas!

created by MrsArcher on Feb 18, 2014 at 06:32:25 pm     Business     Comments: 9

Have you checked out Architectural Artifacts downtown? The name might have changed recently. But they have a lot of older stuff, some of it large-scale, and the knowledgeable owners can even tell you which historic building the pieces came from.

Another thing that comes to mind is the "furniture" built inside Spicy Tuna Sushi on Airport Highway. I was there a year ago and they had all kinds of bars and room dividers built out of stone landscaping blocks. It looked really nice. Something like that could be topped with a stainless slab or varnished wood for display purposes.

Too bad your companions were buzzkills. Good luck with your project!

posted by viola on Feb 18, 2014 at 07:59:42 pm     #

MrsArcher, did you happen to notice if the actual top piece is one big piece or can be taken apart. If the top can be taken apart, like a common kitchen "L" type countertop, then your plan could work. It should be able to be taken apart, loaded, transported to your location, then re-assembled.
On the other hand, I'd like to get an idea of the budget for this project. I'm sure a comparable one could be built for a competitive price. That way it could be built specifically to your space and needs.

posted by hockeyfan on Feb 18, 2014 at 09:07:20 pm     #

If you'd like, contact me privately and we'll talk about your needs. You may find that you can get what you want without having to re-engineer a previously built structure. I briefly looked at how to contact you privately but could not find the method.

posted by MI_Builder on Feb 18, 2014 at 10:18:21 pm     #

i have my doubts about dissassembling, moving and reassembling. You would likely have to refinish the top to retain the seamless look. A lot of work went into the finish.

5,000 to 10,000 sounds a bit high. i don't know what you are looking for, but if you were willing to do a granite top, you could probably find a deal for around $1,500 for 20 feet. The base is really just going to be a frame and facade minus any shelfing underneath. That's not a big job for a carpenter depending how fancy you want to get with materials.

posted by nick44 on Feb 18, 2014 at 11:02:27 pm     #

I think you should be able to take it apart and move it, but it will likely need some cosmetic work after it's been reassembled. If you need someone to do the job for you, email me and I'll send you the name of a general contractor that I know. You can find my email on Mad Jack's Shack.

You might consider having a brief conversation with the guys who kept throwing up obstructions. Something on the order of, "If I wanted someone to give me a pain in the ass, I'd find a proctologist."

posted by madjack on Feb 19, 2014 at 10:50:27 am     #

MI-Builder - I sent you a message via your TT microblog - if you click on your user name at the top of the TT page, you will see a link to your micro blog.

I ended up passing on this option; I really liked it but didn't have a concrete plan to get it out of the building.

hockeyfan - I sent you a PM too.

posted by MrsArcher on Feb 19, 2014 at 02:58:23 pm     #

I didn't get a PM? What am I, chopped liver? I don't count or something? I was really trying to be helpful, too.

I guess nobody likes me. sniff

posted by madjack on Feb 19, 2014 at 07:14:57 pm     #

Ooops, Sorry Madjack, I missed your offer.

posted by MrsArcher on Feb 20, 2014 at 04:18:32 pm     #

Well... okay. But you buy the first round next time.

posted by madjack on Feb 20, 2014 at 07:46:52 pm     #