Kudos for Republic Services Customer Service

Everyone always posts here when they're pissed off about something. I thought it would be nice to post about a positive experience I had this morning.

We live within the Toledo city limits, and have one trash bin and one recycling bin. We generate a LOT more recycling than we do trash, but unfortunately recycling is only picked up every other week. The end result is that we either end up with a stack of recycling in the kitchen corner (HATE THIS), or we end up putting it in the nearly empty trash can (hate this too, but not as much).

I called Republic this morning to see if we could get a second recycling container and what it would cost us. Christy/Kristie/Cristie said she was pretty sure that wasn't something we could do, but took my name and number and said she would call me back if it was do-able.

I'll damned. She called me back. And in fewer than five minutes, to boot!

Someone followed through! Someone actually did what they said they were going to do. I am beside myself! Huzzah!

So here's the scoop: We can buy a second recycling bin for $75. Just call Republic, pay for the bin, they will deliver it in about three days. The additional bin doesn't increase my bill at all. I'm going to chat with Mr. Gamegrrl about this today and see what he thinks, but I'm guessing this is pretty much a done deal.

Thank you Republic Customer Service person for actually providing customer service. What a concept!

created by gamegrrl on Feb 19, 2014 at 10:49:14 am     Comments: 13

This is good info -- the proportions are reversed in our neighborhood (everyone has the giantest garbage bin and the tiniest recycling). I always like to hear a good customer service story!

posted by viola on Feb 19, 2014 at 03:53:56 pm     #

Yeah why do some neighborhoods have the small recycle bins?
I'm glad we have the large one!

posted by stooks on Feb 19, 2014 at 04:19:11 pm     #

Good to know this gamegrrl - our recycle bin is almost always near overflowing come pick up time. I often end up running things over to the county bins at the local Kroger.

posted by Foodie on Feb 19, 2014 at 04:21:48 pm     #

Both our trash and recycling bins are the huge ones.

I called them back, paid my $75, and I should have my new recycling bin by next Tuesday. Yay!

Oh. And it was 'Krissy'. I asked her. :-)

posted by gamegrrl on Feb 19, 2014 at 05:29:48 pm     #

No way I'd pay extra to recycle.

Actually, I recycle less than 1% of my trash. I paid enough taxes over the years for Hoffman Rd that I plan to use it.

PS you still get your recycling points when you put an empty blue can out there.

posted by bucknut on Feb 19, 2014 at 06:29:52 pm     #   1 person liked this

where do you find our points?

posted by upso on Feb 19, 2014 at 07:02:13 pm     #

Upso, it's www.recyclebank.com though the tangible rewards are nothing to write home about :-)

And bucknut, to each his own, I guess. We recycle enough around here to make up for people who don't. LOL!

In my experience, it seems as though people have lots of interesting reasons for not recycling: Some folks who are much older just never understood or got used to it, some can't seem to figure it out and others are simply too lazy to bother. But I have to say that you are the first instance I've ever encountered of "not gonna do it, you can't make me and I actually LIKE putting stuff in the landfill".

Fascinating.

posted by gamegrrl on Feb 19, 2014 at 09:45:22 pm     #   3 people liked this

To each their own, absolutely. However, I'd really like to do whatever I can to not leave future generations man made mountains of crap - as we already have in so many places.

God only knows what will leach out of these piles of toxic goo over the next 100 years.

We recycle everything possible right down to the empty paper towel and toilet paper rolls. Not making a "holier than thou" statement, just doing it for the reasons mentioned above.

posted by Foodie on Feb 19, 2014 at 09:57:17 pm     #   1 person liked this

hmm... website is saying I'm not eligible for rewards. I thought the entire city was? We recycle a ton!

posted by upso on Feb 19, 2014 at 10:12:04 pm     #

I get scolded by Mrs Hoops when I "accidentally" forget to recycle correctly. No way I would pay for an extra container.

posted by Hoops on Feb 19, 2014 at 10:24:04 pm     #   1 person liked this

gamegrrl, don't you have a separate container that you can hold the overflow in until the recycling container is emptied? Like a small garbage can or something? That is what we do (though here in the 'burbs we get our recycling picked up weekly). If the can gets full we just put everything in another container and transfer it as soon as the recycling is picked up. I can think of a million other things that $75 can be put towards.

posted by dell_diva on Feb 19, 2014 at 10:30:59 pm     #

PSS I also throw my grass clippings in the trash

I've used my points for $40 in iTunes cards. Nothing earth shattering, but free is free

posted by bucknut on Feb 19, 2014 at 10:50:18 pm     #

Upso, try entering through Republic's site at this link: http://www.republicservices.com/corporate/residential/wasterecycling/recyclingservices/my-republic-rewards.aspx

dell_diva, I will have a separate container for overflow once my new bin arrives. LOL! Two weeks of recycling for us is two bins worth. It's definitely worth $75 to me to have the second bin. Not everyone has the same wants/priorities.

Foodie, we recycle the empty tubes, too. I think it's weird that paper towels aren't recyclable though. We truly try to recycle everything we can.

Mr. Gamegrrl would be able to explain how we deal with yard waste -- It gets taken to some yard waste place out north of Alexis Rd. for a fee. That is going to be trickier this year, as we no longer have a vehicle with massive hauling capability.

posted by gamegrrl on Feb 20, 2014 at 12:44:57 am     #