IMHO, The Driver Of Toledo Fire Truck 24 Can Kiss My Ass!

I was trying to clear a storm drain this morning, while standing on a flooded street, when you came barreling past. I waved at you trying to get you to slow down. I was the only person out, and there was no traffic basically. You threw a wake at least 10 feet high. No siren, no flashing lights. Exactly who the fuck do you think you are, anyway? Can anyone here tell me who to contact downtown about this bullshit? Thanks, folks!

created by Wulf on Feb 20, 2014 at 02:11:10 pm     Comments: 26

Haven't you learned by now that firefighters are untouchable in this city?

posted by odnation on Feb 20, 2014 at 02:40:06 pm     #   9 people liked this

I would call the TFD Bureau of Professional Standards at 419-245-1769.

I was going to add some comments, but I'll just leave it at that.

posted by MrsArcher on Feb 20, 2014 at 04:17:06 pm     #   5 people liked this

Yeah whatever happened to the firefighter that was drunk and took out the candy shop over off Sylvania/Lewis?

posted by stooks on Feb 20, 2014 at 04:43:04 pm     #

I know $10,000 in taxpayers money was allocated by city council to replace the flagpoles he took out. Why his insurance didn't cover it I don't know and why the city didn't sue him for the damages is crazy. If you or I hit it I'm sure we would be held accountable...

posted by Mike21 on Feb 20, 2014 at 04:46:32 pm     #

As if he wasn't held accountable. Whatever.

He pled GUILTY to driving while intoxicated and was sentenced to 17 days in jail, most of which was suspended in lieu of a drunk driving diversion program, the same as would have happened to the rest of us. (Although many are reduced to reckless op, actually.)
The city law director consulted with the victims who were satisfied with the plea and the sentence. The city law director called it a "good resolution."
If you don't like what city council approved, change city council.
Although I am also surprised that his auto insurance didn't cover it. I have to guess that they were city flagpoles, and the damage that was done to the candy shop was repaired at the expense of his insurance company.

Not sure how it is the fire deparment or it's members fault what city council does.

posted by justread on Feb 20, 2014 at 05:36:12 pm     #

I'm not blaming the fire department -It doesn't matter to me that he was a firefighter but I do have a problem with my tax dollars being used to repair the damage he did. The city has salaried attorneys on staff and they should have sued him. His insurance should have covered all the damages and if he didn't have enough coverage, he should be held liable - just like the rest of us would be.

posted by Mike21 on Feb 20, 2014 at 05:42:31 pm     #

Would suggest you contact the mayor's office but if I miss my guess He's already aware of this. Sounds like somebodies' will be on the carpet.

posted by Mariner on Feb 20, 2014 at 05:56:06 pm     #

He got special treatment because he was a fireman.
You win.

posted by justread on Feb 20, 2014 at 06:19:15 pm     #   4 people liked this

justread - why do you have such a bug up your ass? I was only responding to stooks question - I specifically said I'm not blaming the fire department and I don't care what his occupation is. He obviously got special treatment but I never said or implied it was because of his job.

posted by Mike21 on Feb 20, 2014 at 06:28:04 pm     #

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I WISH I COULD HAVE SEEN THAT!!!!!!!!

Loser fail!!!!

posted by a_fan on Feb 20, 2014 at 06:56:42 pm     #

You threw a wake at least 10 feet high.

Gotcha!

posted by madjack on Feb 20, 2014 at 07:45:21 pm     #

Mariner posted at 04:56:06 PM on Feb 20, 2014:

why do you think DMC is aware of this incident? OMG, is he a lurker on TT?

posted by MrsArcher on Feb 20, 2014 at 07:58:19 pm     #

odnation posted at 01:40:06 PM on Feb 20, 2014:

Haven't you learned by now that firefighters are untouchable in this city?

I tried, but I just can't keep my mouth shut. Its just not in Toledo that is untouchable, its rampant all over, including firefighters who threaten local businesses if the business has a candidate sign on the property that the firefighters don't like. Yet when there is an investigation, its all covered up because of fear of retaliation.

Having firefighters wish ill-will - I'm talking harm and death to your family - if you publicly disagree with them and how much money they are asking the citizens to pony up.

A screwed up workers' comp system that lets firefighters claim permanent partial disability because they have to take narcotics for pain yet they can continue to drive those big rigs around because, well, they don't take the drugs while on the job. Really? So you are only disabled when you are off the clock?

I could go on, and this isn't to reflect on those many, many firefighters and other first responders who do their job proudly and loyally. But the politics in public safety is sickening and abhorrent.

posted by MrsArcher on Feb 20, 2014 at 08:04:07 pm     #   8 people liked this

"just like the rest of us would be"

Ooof. There it is.

posted by justread on Feb 20, 2014 at 09:38:34 pm     #

Take a laxative and maybe that bug will come out of your ass by tomorrow.

posted by Mike21 on Feb 20, 2014 at 11:11:40 pm     #

Or ya have the Rossford Fire Chief that texts pics of his privates to a female firefighter and gets to leave on his own terms once he gets caught.

posted by lfrost2125 on Feb 20, 2014 at 11:23:40 pm     #   3 people liked this

I'm close to six ft. tall, and the top of the water line was a good four ft. over the top of my head.

posted by Wulf on Feb 21, 2014 at 01:45:44 am     #

Guess we'll need council to establish no wake zones on land now sigh Not poking fun Wulf have observed fire equipment with no emergency on rushing to get to Kroger's. It does question how tight the discipline is recently. Mrs. Archer select blog posts on TT are put out on Twitter with a link. Not All. This admin (city) has a strong sense of social media and an ear to the ground was my only reference. They appear to be grossly understaffed and was sure not implying anyone is paid just to sit and monitor blogs. The local paper is using the same method to generate links for their activity. To me there are too many nervous Nellies and buttinskis in the world but then I prefer a more thoughtful approach.

posted by Mariner on Feb 21, 2014 at 07:12:10 am     #

What ever happened to that plumber who had a car accident while drunk, caused property damage and pleaded guilty?

Nobody knows, because there wasn't three Blade articles about him. Nobody knows who paid for what. The guy just sits anonymously next to you in traffic with and off-orange license plate.

It's true, they aren't treated the same as the rest of us.

posted by justread on Feb 21, 2014 at 07:28:37 am     #

it's true, they are not treated the same as us, because they are public employees and the plumber is not.

posted by MattL on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:21:35 am     #

Mike21 posted at 10:11:40 PM on Feb 20, 2014:

Take a laxative and maybe that bug will come out of your ass by tomorrow.

You know, I wouldn't like to be sprayed with several gallons of dirty ice-water from the street and I'll assume you wouldn't either. At best, the driver of that firetruck was being careless or inconsiderate. At worst, he's a jejune clown who should be relieved of duty until he grows up a little and learns something about graceful human behavior.

posted by madjack on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:43:34 am     #

He meant me, madjack. :D

posted by justread on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:55:01 am     #   1 person liked this

Whoah! Sorry I asked. I was just curious. I don't read the blade.

posted by stooks on Feb 21, 2014 at 12:22:10 pm     #

Madjack, I really didn't think it was intentional either, but certainly irresponsible. He didn't swerve to hit the water, but didn't slow down any, either. There were two cars that had just passed, and both of them slowed down a bit, and I waved my hand in appreciation to them. BTW, if this thread is an example of how a thread can develop, with the absence of one of the worst internet turds I've ever encountered, I feel really optimistic! Many thanks to all.

posted by Wulf on Feb 21, 2014 at 02:20:17 pm     #

justread posted at 09:55:01 AM on Feb 21, 2014:

He meant me, madjack. :D

Well, he didn't say that. How am I supposed to know who he was responding to? Besides, I didn't see you write anything inflammatory or overly critical.

posted by madjack on Feb 21, 2014 at 02:38:45 pm     #

the absence of one of the worst internet turds I've ever encountered...

Who, LimeDrops? I haven't seen him on the site in years.

posted by madjack on Feb 21, 2014 at 02:40:05 pm     #   1 person liked this