People Who Do Not Shovel Their Side Walks Make Life Like Hell

A beautiful huge house, newly remodeled with a big addition, nice cars, must be worth over 200K. Young couple. Probably two big enough incomes. Never shovel their side walks. The problem is when the sidewalks AND the streets become shear ice I fall down. Why do people who have enough time and ability to shovel their own walks, or who certainly can afford to pay others to do it leave it go to make life difficult and even dangerous for people who need to walk to work or school?

created by ilovetoledo on Feb 21, 2014 at 08:19:11 am     Comments: 17

Yeah, honestly I make it a priority to make sure our side walk/steps/front porch are always cleared because I appreciate our mail carrier:)

posted by stooks on Feb 21, 2014 at 09:34:28 am     #   1 person liked this

stooks posted at 08:34:28 AM on Feb 21, 2014:

I appreciate not getting sued by people who slip/fall.

posted by dbw8906 on Feb 21, 2014 at 09:52:16 am     #

ILT do you own a dog? Return the courtesy

posted by Mariner on Feb 21, 2014 at 09:56:23 am     #   1 person liked this

Why do they not clear their sidewalks? Because they are self-absorbed shits who could give a rat's rear end about anyone but themselves and don't have any concept of community.

I make sure my "public" walks are clear before I focus on my driveway and non public walks. Regardless of the weather, I know there are people who need or want to use those walks.

posted by Foodie on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:01:12 am     #   1 person liked this

I have no idea what the rules are in other areas, but I know in downtown, you have a set amount of time following a snowfall to have your sidewalk cleared before they can fine you. Really, the only areas you don't see this in downtown is in front of parking lots.

posted by Johio83 on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:26:28 am     #

Since I make deliveries all over the area, I see this all the time.
As recently as yesterday, I mean, it's been a while since it snowed and some people obviously have never shoveled.
I've seen it in crappy neighborhoods, and places like Ottawa Hills.

posted by JeepMaker on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:30:44 am     #

Probably because they've never been in the position you're in, and so don't understand the importance of a shoveled walk. What really pisses me off is when neighbors on both sides have shoveled their walk to a state of pristine cleanliness and one malcontent still doesn't get the message.

posted by madjack on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:37:09 am     #

Can't be my neighborhood. We shovel our lawn for the mailman.

posted by justread on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:55:54 am     #

"ILT do you own a dog? Return the courtesy"

No, I do not own a dog. Why would you think I own a dog?

posted by ilovetoledo on Feb 21, 2014 at 10:56:40 am     #

I fell and got a sorely sprained thumb, bruised thigh and knee.

posted by ilovetoledo on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:12:44 am     #

Sorry to hear of your injury. Am of advanced experience myself and would not roll with a fall as easily as yesteryear. My post was not to imply that you had a dog (I have had several) but to suggest a few deposits as a thank you for their consideration. Most dog owners today pick up after themselves, but clearing walkways is certainly more than a courtesy. Hope you heal quickly.

posted by Mariner on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:25:55 am     #

Last weekend, I was in town and I went running. I ran in the street due to inconsistency of the shoveled sidewalks. Even sidewalks that were shoveled had patches of ice and I had little to no interest in running on patches of ice.

But what really cracked me up was when I reached a city park that runs along side the road I was running on. The sidewalk by the street within park grounds? Untouched. This wasn't the path that went through the park, it was the sidewalk. So the city has vowed to crack down on businesses and citizens with fines, but who are they going to fine when the sidewalk in a city park has clearly been untouched for weeks?

posted by clt212 on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:35:03 am     #   1 person liked this

But that is a two-sided sword. If the workers are doing all they can with the resources they have that is one thing. I do not even begrudge elderly or infirm people who do not shovel or if they cannot afford to have it done. But to be able and wealthy enough and still leave it is not right.

posted by ilovetoledo on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:45:32 am     #   1 person liked this

Mr. Gamegrrl has a bruiser of a snowblower, and he clears the public sidewalks quite a ways down from us, both north and south. Seems like if more people who could do this would do this, it would sure help.

posted by gamegrrl on Feb 21, 2014 at 04:39:54 pm     #   1 person liked this

gamegrrl posted at 03:39:54 PM on Feb 21, 2014:

^^ This. I wage a one-man war against the snow with my snow blower and shovel, clearing walkways, driveways, and the street for as many houses as the gas can (and my back) will support that day. I figure it is good karma, if nothing else.

On the last big snow Tuesday I cleared my house, the street in front of my house, driveways/walks of six neighbors, and dug out the two street corners right by me. Three hours of work, and I felt like I ran a marathon afterward, but the score is now something like Historymike 15, Winter 0 this season.

posted by historymike on Feb 21, 2014 at 05:44:58 pm     #   2 people liked this

gamegrrl posted at 03:39:54 PM on Feb 21, 2014:

We have neighbors that do this every so often. Very nice of them.

posted by endcycle on Feb 21, 2014 at 05:57:36 pm     #   1 person liked this

gamegrrl posted at 03:39:54 PM on Feb 21, 2014:

We have neighbors that do this every so often. Very nice of them.

posted by endcycle on Feb 21, 2014 at 05:57:37 pm     #   1 person liked this