Can one transfer an old hard drive into a new tower?

The on-board video died on my son's work computer, at least we are hoping that's what it was. The monitor lights up but finds no input. I tested it with my monitor, same thing. He has all his business records from the last 6 years stored on the hard drive. He hasn't had anyone really savvy helping him so his stuff was not backed-up to anywhere. His wife's uncle has more computer knowledge than me and he tried to hook it up to one of his computers in a master-slave setup and he could not access the hard drive. I cannot do any diagnostics, so we really don't know what's wrong.

Q1: If he were to get a tower with no hard drive would he be able to hook this old drive up and run the new computer, providing it's the video hook-up and not the HD? He has W7 on the old hard drive.
Q2: There really isn't any way for someone outside of a shop to tell whether or not it really was the on-board video or the hard drive, right? The hard drive fires up but no post-beep, don't know if that's a tell-tale sign or not.

I understand the HD is 6 years old and may be dead, it really sucks if that's the case. Just trying to get other input before he hits a shop for help.

Thanks!

created by nana on Feb 23, 2014 at 10:46:00 pm     Technology     Comments: 16

Should of been able to connect the old HD to a new computer and read it, if its not recognized than it along with half the original computer got toasted. If he is willing to spend big bucks and the data is that important you can get it back through a recovery service, but its expensive. Could try slapping a cheap video card in it and see if any of the computer lives. In the future get someone like Acronis True Image and make at least monthly images of the hard drive onto a usb external drive, turn it on to run image then turn off after its done good local method for back up, taking it home after you did backup is good for off site storage.

posted by MIJeff on Feb 23, 2014 at 11:38:39 pm     #

Yeah, I thought about the video card, what's cheap these days, any idea of price range? He only has an open PCI slot, not an AGP, do they make PCI video cards? I used to know this stuff 5 years ago, but I'm not up to the challenge anymore. He's going on his second week down and really needs a quick fix, which I doubt is gonna happen. I like your backup method, gonna strongly suggest that. Thanks!

posted by nana on Feb 24, 2014 at 12:30:17 am     #

posted by nana on Feb 24, 2014 at 12:30:06 am     #

bah, sorry!!

posted by nana on Feb 24, 2014 at 12:31:31 am     #

I would not waste money on a video card. I would also not read too much into not seeing the drive slaved in another system--no offense to the uncle, but I've seen plenty of people not be able to do that right.

It sounds to me that it would be system board related, with no POST beeps or light indicators. That's just a guess without actually seeing it.

posted by JoeyGee on Feb 24, 2014 at 08:44:08 am     #

Thanks, appreciate the input. I'm going to recommend he take it to Stone Computer, it's close to him and good from what I hear. :)

posted by nana on Feb 24, 2014 at 08:53:03 am     #

It used to be easy, but when my unit that ran vista died, I put the hard drive into a another chassis and it worked.....but.....switching to a different unit invalidated the license for the operating system and I kept getting nags that it was not genuine and I did not have full use of it either. Microsoft wanted me to buy another key for $200. Bastards. As long as you put it in the same brand unit like Dell to Dell it should be OK. I went from a gateway to a Dell unit.

posted by ilovetoledo on Feb 24, 2014 at 09:06:13 am     #

Did you know if it was IDE or SATA drive and what operating system it was? Another route you can try is an external USB HD housing, they are relatively cheap and you can stuff that drive in it and get his data off it with another computer. If your uncomfortable messing with it yourself then yeah take it to a store, Keith Stone, or Discount Computer on Laskey seems like a good place too.

posted by MIJeff on Feb 24, 2014 at 09:46:32 am     #   1 person liked this

yeah, Computer Discount is awesome, they recovered my stand-alone HD when the plug fried and put it in a new case for $100, I just suggested Stone coz it was so close to him and he's so busy! I believe it's IDE and the OS is W7. ILT, we really would love to be able to put the HD in a new chassis and get that to work for him but getting the info off that HD and on to another one is our immediate goal, just saving that info anywhere we can. Gonna talk to him again in a little bit and see what's up, thanks, guys!

posted by nana on Feb 24, 2014 at 01:33:19 pm     #

well, Stone is out of business, so he went to Virtual PC across the street, they took over Stone's phone number and everything else apparently. Just an FYI!

posted by nana on Feb 24, 2014 at 02:10:00 pm     #

I seen a Advertisement for Keith Stone Computers, just wondered if he drank Keystone beer.

posted by MIJeff on Feb 24, 2014 at 05:33:28 pm     #

posted by MIJeff on Feb 24, 2014 at 05:36:07 pm     #

dang, thanks, man, guess the labor is the biggest part of any of those trasnfer jobs, eh? lol

If they can get the HD going, they're going to transfer the info into one of these for right now. I'll let you know when I hear anything.

posted by nana on Feb 24, 2014 at 06:58:03 pm     #

Nana, any update? Just curious as to how it worked out.

posted by JoeyGee on Feb 26, 2014 at 05:51:16 pm     #

Hi, Joey, actually, they got it going. They said it was a corrupted Windows file, they had no idea how it happened, but he's living on borrowed time, so we're going to get one of those externals from newegg and save all his stuff to it and get a new computer. They said he would have to click and drag anything he wanted to backup, that might be a problem, but we'll have to see once we get that far. He just needs a little more time and hopefully he'll be able to get going again. Lol, they wanted to charge him $80 for a 1TB drive. Thanks again, MIJeff!

posted by nana on Feb 26, 2014 at 08:43:35 pm     #

ah, my bad, got a little excited, that's just an enclosure, lol. OK, off to get the bext deal I can on an external drive. Thanks for pointing me towards Newegg anyway, Jeff, I was able to solve another problem with something I found there! :)

posted by nana on Feb 26, 2014 at 09:17:53 pm     #