Possible debate, but Stainbrook ignores the notion. Delaney however on board.

Hey ToledoTalk

Here is a press release I just sent to the press and wanted to give it to the concerned citizens of TT. I'll try to come back to discuss this further but it might be a day or two thanks to midterms at UT keeping me pretty busy.

Note: Before you read the of this article please view this Facebook interaction with the most honorable chairman at the link below.

Jon Stainbrook, Debate invitation
What is Jon Stainbrook scared of? Why will he not debate Bill Delaney?

A few days ago a Facebook friend of mine to be left unnamed posted a Facebook post denouncing Bill Delaney’s candidacy for State Central Committee and his assumed bid for Lucas County GOP Chairman. My friend put his endorsement behind the current chairman Jon Stainbrook because his candidacy “is viable” and Jon “has been most instrumental in helping candidates”. My friend does not mention what he was helpful in but any outside political pundit could only guess him being instrumental in the destruction of their candidacy and their eventual outcome of not winning if they looked at the overall scenario.

To this raving letter of praise Jon replied in a most political way saying thank you. With this I noticed he was in the forum so I asked him if he would debate Bill Delaney in a one on one “ for who best holds true to conservative values and on each other’s record”. Par expected he did not reply but my friend did once again bashing Bill Delaney’s candidacy and raising Jon Stainbrook’s. On this comment there was and I’d assume still is one like and it is from the most honorable chairman Mr.Stainbrook.

This tells me Jon saw the request and choose not to answer. What it doesn’t tell me is why he is scared to go one on one in a debate with Bill Delaney. Is it that Jon cannot stand behind his record as Chairman? Is it that he is scared his harassment of the Tea Party and other conservative groups will be brought up? Or is he just scared the city and his own party will see that Mr. Delaney really is the best candidate for the job.

-Ron

created by RonJohns on Feb 25, 2014 at 02:58:04 am     Local-Politics     Comments: 28

Are you a republican?

posted by justread on Feb 25, 2014 at 06:51:15 am     #

Or maybe he has more pressing concerns than getting into it with random college students posting on Facebook.

posted by Johio83 on Feb 25, 2014 at 09:21:30 am     #   8 people liked this

I know you are young and don't remember a time before Rush Limbaugh, but which candidate is more conservative should not be your primary focus. Which candidate can bring the party together and elect Republican candidates to office should be the main concern. You can have the most conservative chair in the world, but if they are completely ineffectual, what does it matter?

posted by Ace_Face on Feb 25, 2014 at 09:47:13 am     #   8 people liked this

I'm a sold D, so maybe there's something I'm missing about the Tea Party that is obvious to those actually involved in it:

If the Republican Party is so disappointing to you, why don't you actually just start the Tea Party and do things your own way?

posted by Anniecski on Feb 25, 2014 at 10:14:38 am     #

Johio83 posted at 08:21:30 AM on Feb 25, 2014:

Always enjoy some unintentional comedy to start out the morning.

I understand the point of your comment, but seeing Stainbrook and 'more pressing concerns' in the same sentence...well, let's just say I'm glad that I finished my coffee before reading this thread.

posted by RBancroft on Feb 25, 2014 at 10:26:42 am     #

Political dogmas are not to be confused with "values".

posted by ahmahler on Feb 25, 2014 at 10:29:41 am     #

"If the Republican Party is so disappointing to you"

I keep reading it and I can't find where he made that point. It seems more like he prefers Delaney and has disdain for Stainbrook. He mentions that he and the party both want a debate.
That's why I asked if he was a republican.

posted by justread on Feb 25, 2014 at 11:00:48 am     #

I believe he's Libertarian & Republican.

posted by upso on Feb 25, 2014 at 11:57:27 am     #

RON: You seem like a bright guy, and I admire your zeal. It's nice to see young people getting active in politics. However, if you're going to keep writing things for public consumption, you would greatly benefit from taking a composition course.

posted by Sohio on Feb 25, 2014 at 01:11:54 pm     #   8 people liked this

I wrote that whole press release without using a comma. Incredible.

posted by Molsonator on Feb 25, 2014 at 04:49:16 pm     #   1 person liked this

He. what the.....

posted by Molsonator on Feb 25, 2014 at 05:03:50 pm     #

Now i feel like Paul.

posted by Molsonator on Feb 25, 2014 at 05:04:15 pm     #

Sohio posted at 12:11:54 PM on Feb 25, 2014:

I've been really surprised by the lack of editorial clarity considering I know you are a UT student (that does require at least 2 English classes for most majors) and more importantly, that you are a member of the IC student paper. I don't agree with your politics, but I appreciate your effort in getting involved in local issues. I agree that you will get a lot farther in your efforts by taking a bit of time before posting and carefully editing your material. There's a fine line between coming off as manic or intelligent.

posted by MarcMc on Feb 25, 2014 at 10:15:46 pm     #   2 people liked this

Sounds like an invintation.

posted by justread on Feb 25, 2014 at 10:17:53 pm     #   1 person liked this

Sohio posted at 12:11:54 PM on Feb 25, 2014:

Because he may not be well spoken, doesn't mean he isn't communicating his message. Yes education can improve the message we send but your comment stinks of the educated elite the believe the yeoman's voice has no place in our current society.

Don't give me the "I fight for the little guys" and "support unions because they support the little guy" but when the little guy tries to talk you go... "shh little ronnie please only let the smart people talk". You don't want the voice of the little man, you want tax paying, party line voting, useful idiots. If they don't have 3 letters after their name you don't care what they have to say.

It's that liberal elitism that has stolen the political power of the working man by degrading his voice. Jimmy Carter would be laughed out of the democratic party because he isn't "Harvard" enough to be considered "smart" today.

The message can always ring through regardless of the voice.

posted by dbw8906 on Feb 26, 2014 at 09:14:52 am     #   1 person liked this

dbw8906 - your post is one of the most uneducated posts i have read here.

posted by Molsonator on Feb 26, 2014 at 09:21:22 am     #   6 people liked this

dbw8906 posted at 08:14:52 AM on Feb 26, 2014:
Sohio posted at 12:11:54 PM on Feb 25, 2014:

The message can always ring through regardless of the voice.

WOW. You extrapolated an awful lot out of that. I'm not sure how a piece of friendly advice turns into a diatribe about unions and Jimmy Carter...but...OK...

It's very telling that you find the suggestion to better one's grasp of the written English word as some sort "liberal elitism." It sounds like deflection on your part...nothing more than an underhanded attempt to keep adequate communication skills AWAY from the "little man," so you can have them all to yourself and control the message. That's my gut reaction any time I hear that tired old "liberal elitist" BS used in conjunction with education or intelligence. Let's make education "uncool," so nobody is interested in it. Am I right?

Ron seems like a passionate guy who wants to influence people. My opinion is that his writing skills need a little work, so I suggested he might want to make some effort to polish them. That's all. I wasn't trying to be snarky or mean. Not only is proper communication more effective, but POOR communication gives your adversaries an easy ad-hominem attack point. It's not a fair debate tactic, but it's a popular one, and a very effective one, and when you have a lacking command of the English language, you're fair game for it. In fact, you just used it on me, whether you know it or not.

So, you tell me: who is helping this "yeoman" out more; the guy saying "you'll reach more people with better communication", or the guy saying "Don't listen to that liberal elitist union thug , Ronnie! You're fine just the way you are! Self-improvement is for Harvard types! Go ahead and speak your mind, even if you don't do it very effectively!"

Incidentally, I DO fight for the little guy. But my union president filters all of his written communications through the Local secretary (Me), because he can't type, punctuate, or spell worth a damn, and when he sends out his own memos, it embarrasses everyone, and he KNOWS it. Despite the fact that I am a laborer with no post-high school education, I am able to clean those things up for him, using only the skills I obtained in public schools. So...how am I a Harvard elitist again?

posted by Sohio on Feb 26, 2014 at 10:10:37 am     #   7 people liked this

Because Rush says so. Duh. Liberal = Elite = Harvard / Oxford educated = NAZI JACKBOOTED DEATHPANEL THUGS.

Wow, that escalates quickly.

posted by endcycle on Feb 26, 2014 at 11:24:03 am     #

Yeah don't argue on the facts move sideways and attack back, go ahead and pick apart his English 101 skills. It appears so much easier to dismiss an opponents argument when you can point out their flaws in spelling and grammar and punctuation rather than the substance of what he says. Yes you do appear as an elitist liberal snob.

posted by MIJeff on Feb 26, 2014 at 11:57:24 am     #   1 person liked this

MIJeff posted at 10:57:24 AM on Feb 26, 2014:

I didn't enter the debate. I simply made a friendly suggestion.

Can you show me where I dismissed his argument?

posted by Sohio on Feb 26, 2014 at 12:24:21 pm     #   2 people liked this

Yes you do appear as an elitist liberal snob

And you know what? You can call me that if you want to. It doesn't bother me. If being able to effectively utilize the English language, even to only the most basic degree, and feeling like others should do the same, makes me a "liberal elitist," then so be it. I don't care what it makes me...whatever it "makes" me is what I'll be, I guess, because I place a high value on possessing and displaying at least the bare minimum of developed intelligence. If that value seems objectionable to you, that says a lot more about YOU than it does about me.

I'd rather be a "liberal elitist" with basic 8th-grade writing skills than a mouth-breathing moron who thinks it's not important to learn how to communicate. But, that's just me. You can go whichever way you choose. It is definitely easier and more fun to be dumb.

posted by Sohio on Feb 26, 2014 at 12:35:08 pm     #   7 people liked this

Why don't you take your elitist grammar skills to the rest of the internet, I think they will also think the same of you as I do.

posted by MIJeff on Feb 26, 2014 at 01:24:58 pm     #

I hope so. Your opinion means so much to me.

posted by Sohio on Feb 26, 2014 at 02:13:56 pm     #   2 people liked this

Let me give this a try:

RonJohns - please understand that this is in NO WAY meant to be a critique of your message or politics:

Please use a proofreader of some sort before putting out "press releases". Your grammar in the original post made it difficult to read. Improving that will help if you want to be taken seriously by the press (you know, people who generally in theory care about grammar).

Further, if you'd like to have a respectful dialogue about your political viewpoints, I'd be thrilled to engage you at any time. Have a great day!

....hm, is that still too liberal elite for MJeff?

posted by endcycle on Feb 26, 2014 at 02:40:13 pm     #   2 people liked this

posted by Ace_Face on Feb 26, 2014 at 02:55:42 pm     #   6 people liked this

I mean, dbw and mljeff-you are projecting politics. This kid, who wrote a press release, sloppily, with a dogmatic approach, is an extremely easy target, politically, and grammatically. sohio, kept his nose above the fray, but gave this kid some actual advice that dozens of TTers would have given if Sohio hadn't beat them to it, myself included. This had nothing to do with politics, if it did, someone would have taken the propoganda to task (did you read through his website?). Educated and a grasp of writing and communication does not make someone liberal elite. Political opinions makes someone liberal, just like going to church doesn't make you a republican.

posted by ahmahler on Feb 26, 2014 at 10:31:26 pm     #   3 people liked this

ronjohn said

"If Jon Stainbrook really believes he is the best candidate then he should be willing to debate Bill Delaney. Either candidate refusing to do so shows they do not even believe in themselves as the best candidate. The public and Jon's own party wants a debate so my question is when will he give us one?"

i dont remember coming across ronjohn before this thread so i dont know the history and i sure as heck am not going to facebook to read posts from strangers... i dont do it for my family; i am not doing it for you.

but the paragraph quoted above is full of either pretzel logic or merely grandstanding...

the stain certainly believes he is the best candidate but that is not the issue. my sense is that even among most republicans in lucas county delaney is seen as a fringe element of the libertarian splinter who is useful for raising a fuss every now and then but not for being the standard bearer... even at that he is most reknown for wanting to subject people to second hand smoke for his own enjoyment and monetary profit... a losing issue anymore.

the stain for all of his faults is politically astute and a survivor... by having a debate with delaney he would be raising delaney's stature and dimishing his own... putting them on equal footing. it is a valid play to try to goad the stain into making that mistake but you knew, i assume, the odds were small at best. jon's refusal to engage actually shows a confidence that he can ignore delaney and not suffer consequences, either with the public or the party.

so the question appears to be ... did ronjohn try to lead a crowd where they didnt really want to go and nobody followed OR did he bait a trap to see if stain would step in it but he did not?!

what a time warp we are in when the proper use of grammar is seen as leftist and unedited somewhat confusing use of language is seen as populist conservatism... woody guthrie is rolling in his grave and frank lutz is rolling on the floor in laughter

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Feb 27, 2014 at 12:32:25 pm     #   3 people liked this

really?