What to do with possum living under deck

Have a possum living under our deck and would like to trap it using a no kill trap and release it in the wild but when I try to find the regulations I found an article that seems to state this is illegal. Anyone had experience with this.

created by marco on Feb 28, 2014 at 07:15:33 pm     Home     Comments: 22

Don't ask, don't tell. Trap it, release it in the country.

posted by Erin on Feb 28, 2014 at 07:46:31 pm     #   2 people liked this

Is it bothering you? I have possums where I live. I let them be and they pretty much do the same to me. They're a part of nature. Enjoy them.

posted by pete on Feb 28, 2014 at 07:58:21 pm     #

I think bake him.

posted by ilovetoledo on Feb 28, 2014 at 07:59:18 pm     #   1 person liked this

Call Granny Clampet!

posted by Foodie on Feb 28, 2014 at 08:37:07 pm     #

If you are asking if red or white wine goes with possum , you can really go either way. I'd probably do red.

posted by justread on Feb 28, 2014 at 08:43:15 pm     #   5 people liked this

posted by MIJeff on Feb 28, 2014 at 08:52:13 pm     #

! posted by pete on Feb 28, 2014 at 06:58:21 pm

Wouldn't bother me except we have two small dogs ,one with a heart condition and if it chases the opossum it is a concern.

posted by marco on Feb 28, 2014 at 09:26:58 pm     #

justread posted at 07:43:15 PM on Feb 28, 2014:

The thing to do is to check the bottle. If it's got a screw-on top, you've got a natural match for possum.

posted by madjack on Feb 28, 2014 at 09:45:25 pm     #   1 person liked this

Erin posted at 06:46:31 PM on Feb 28, 2014:

Don't ask, don't tell. Trap it, release it in the country.

What he said. Drive around in Michigan until you find a wooded area with a ditch or a stream running through it. That way the possum will have water and be able to find food.

Or shoot it and throw it into a dumpster somewhere.

posted by madjack on Feb 28, 2014 at 09:48:13 pm     #   2 people liked this

The rule is:

White wine as a possum marinade, red wine as a possum baste.

posted by JohnnyMac on Feb 28, 2014 at 10:31:25 pm     #

posted by Wydowmaker on Mar 01, 2014 at 12:21:54 am     #

Everyone know a box of wine is the preferred choice

posted by Hoops on Mar 01, 2014 at 08:54:54 am     #

Here in the Trailer Park where we all live we just write out a recipe for Possum Stew and drop it through the crack of the deck...

posted by rch101 on Mar 01, 2014 at 06:42:04 pm     #

I didn't know possums could read. Hey, who says public education doesn't work?

posted by madjack on Mar 02, 2014 at 09:49:23 am     #

Call Nature's Nursery 419-877-0060. Leave a message if they're not there, they'll call you back.

posted by bogeylola on Mar 02, 2014 at 05:01:22 pm     #

Leave it alone, it will move on before long. Besides, the possums' primary defense system will assure your dog doesn't have a heart attack as a result of chasing it.

posted by Wulf on Mar 02, 2014 at 06:53:02 pm     #

I agree with Wulf, leave he/she alone. Opossums don't carry rabies and will run if they see you.

posted by bogeylola on Mar 02, 2014 at 07:18:06 pm     #

Besides, it has a nest built, too. If you have it removed and released in the middle of a snowy field somewhere, in this weather it would be a death sentence.

posted by Wulf on Mar 02, 2014 at 08:08:09 pm     #

Unfortunately, decks are magnets for possums and raccoons. Your possum found a nice shelter from the weather. We've had them on and off over the years. They never stay very long, maybe a season. They usually fall victim to disease or predators. If it's bothering you, I'd wait until warmer weather, trap it, and release it in a wooded area. For the past couple of months, we've had an injured rabbit under our deck. Its leg is in the air, but it can get around fairly quickly when it is startled. It is very tame and comes up to our back door for its daily half slice of apple and lettuce leaves. We have a feral cat or two in our neighborhood, so I don't expect it to be around very long. Such is nature.

posted by bikerdude on Mar 03, 2014 at 07:10:52 pm     #

Be sure to sign him up for O'BamaCare before the deadline.

posted by Mariner on Mar 03, 2014 at 08:05:18 pm     #

bikerdude
Natures Nursery 419-877-0060. Fix the rabbit right up. Everybody needs a little help now and then:)

posted by bogeylola on Mar 03, 2014 at 08:53:35 pm     #

@bogeylola - I thought about taking it to Nature's Nursery, but every time I've done that in the past, I find out they get euthanized because, I'm told, rabbits are "fragile" and supposedly never recover from their injuries. Maybe because there are so many of them, they are not a priority.

posted by bikerdude on Mar 03, 2014 at 10:56:51 pm     #