I'm so sick of these darn tree trimmers.....

In the 14 years I've been in this house the city tree trimmers have butchered my trees 6 times! I had a row of evergreen trees along the front of my house that was so thick and lush it was hard to see my home. It was so nice.....

They now look like a tornado has come through and turned them into telephone poles. These trimmers have no clue how to trim a tree. An evergreen should not be trimmed as often or in the same way a deciduous tree would be trimmed. A deciduous sends off shoots and regrows very fast, an evergreen doesn't do this. What they butchered from these evergreens will never return in my lifetime. Clueless idiots.....

I'm just so frustrated at what they did to these once beautiful trees. I'm sure there are neighborhoods that are dying to get them out to trim their trees just once, lucky me I can't seem to get rid of them.

created by 3boyz4m on Mar 05, 2014 at 10:20:31 am     Comments: 19

If they are your trees on your property, why is the city trimming them? Are they obstructing the sidewalk or overhanging the street?

There's something about this I'm not understanding.............

posted by Foodie on Mar 05, 2014 at 11:32:00 am     #

The trees are in my yard behind my fence but the height of the trees reaches out to where the wires run. The thing that bothers me is they need to be a bit more conservative when cutting evergreen trees. They don't reproduce new growth like a tree with leaves. They tend to over- prune in anticipation of future branches coming back and this isn't going to happen in the evergreen. I wish they would have just removed them rather than have left them in the condition there are now in.

I do

posted by 3boyz4m on Mar 05, 2014 at 12:24:38 pm     #

Ok, now I get it. Are you sure it was the city? First Energy is usually the one who hacks the trees that are encroaching on power lines.

While I can appreciate your frustration, I'm actually glad they make an effort to keep growth from interfering with the power lines.

If you are old enough to recall the major blackout back in '02 I believe it was, the genesis of it was a large branch taking out a power line.

posted by Foodie on Mar 05, 2014 at 01:35:17 pm     #

I think that they should just remove trees directly under power lines rather than create those unstable split-trunk monsters from trimming them under the line over and over again.

posted by justread on Mar 05, 2014 at 01:46:15 pm     #

I am, and it was in 2003. The real cause of the blackout was complete incompetence on the part of FirstEnergy. Trying desperately to find a scapegoat somewhere, FirstEnergy blamed a tree branch falling on a wire somewhere. Not one journalist thought to ask why our electrical transmission grid was so fragile that it could be brought down by a single tree branch, but I'm not surprised.

As a result, tree trimmers working on contract started slashing and burning everything in sight. FirstEnergy line inspectors arrogantly patrol neighborhoods deciding just where the tree trimmers should start next. No one has suggested the obvious; bury the wires along with the line inspectors.

Note that the tree trimmers in question must pass a background check (no violent felons need apply) and a drug screen for which they have several weeks to prepare. Other than that, the tree trimmers are an equal opportunity employer so long as you're breathing.

posted by madjack on Mar 05, 2014 at 02:42:15 pm     #

I've worked outdoors for many years and I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen a line of newly-planted trees smack underneath the power lines. My cousin got some one-dollar pine seedlings on clearance and immediately planted them directly underneath his own power line (the one that connects to the house).

I would love to see an educational campaign that lists the many native tree species which will never grow to an inconvenient height, will never need trimming if sited properly, and will benefit wildlife. Both FirstEnergy and the city should be sending press releases to the papers and posting that info all over Facebook. /end rant

posted by viola on Mar 05, 2014 at 04:03:57 pm     #   3 people liked this

You could have been proactive and had someone like Blanchard Tree Service prune your trees away from the power lines. They would take into account health of the tree and aesthetics.

posted by bucknut on Mar 05, 2014 at 05:50:39 pm     #   1 person liked this

This is really very simple - If the city or the power company are pruning your trees/shrubs, they are not doing it for aesthetics, they are doing it for safety and continuation of service. They don't care about what it looks like, they just cut.

If you want it to look nice, than do it yourself.

No one has suggested the obvious; bury the wires

Seriously, do you know how much money that would take to bury lines in established neighborhoods? They bury them in new developments, but it would be astronomical to do it in established neighborhoods. We looked in to doing it at our house to avoid service interruptions, but the cost was $1000 per 100 feet. Can you imagine doing an entire neighborhood?

posted by MrsArcher on Mar 05, 2014 at 07:49:49 pm     #

My mom has had tree branches growing between her powerlines for at least the last 5 years. Not a peep from the city...and she can't afford ransom it would be to pay Davey tree to come out and trim 'em.

So, if First Energy wants to come and do a hack job on this tree, come on over. Free coffee.

posted by oldhometown on Mar 05, 2014 at 10:40:22 pm     #   1 person liked this

Here's the only "good" that comes out of these tree butcherings. I live in an area with lots of large trees. The Edison people came by and took down entire trees, as well as sizable limbs. My niece and her husband have a wood-burning stove and they picked-up truck loads of this wood.

posted by Starr15 on Mar 05, 2014 at 11:38:12 pm     #

Starr15 posted at 10:38:12 PM on Mar 05, 2014:

That's really a great story, thanks for sharing.

posted by hunkytownsausage on Mar 06, 2014 at 09:42:25 am     #   3 people liked this

Hunkytownsausage: You're very welcome. I bet that story will go over big at your trailer park's next hobo dinner!

posted by Starr15 on Mar 07, 2014 at 12:34:44 am     #

From Mrs_Archer: This is really very simple - If the city or the power company are pruning your trees/shrubs, they are not doing it for aesthetics, they are doing it for safety and continuation of service.

It isn't the city or FirstEnergy; it's a group of minimum wage rag droppers working as contractors. The parent company, whatever it may be, has a contract with FirstEnergy to cut everything in sight that might interfere with power transmission and distribution. If FirstEnergy or Toledo actually had to use company workers to do this, you'd see your electric rates and/or taxes go right through the ceiling. The difference being labor cost.

They don't care about what it looks like, they just cut.

You got that right. Hack and slash, then load up the brush and leave. The way these boneheads work you can come home and find your front yard butchered.

If you want it to look nice, than do it yourself.

Yeah, if it were only that easy. You, the owner of the property, can trim your trees to your satisfaction and they'll still get chopped up. Why? Because the contractors do not get paid to think. They get paid to cut stuff up. They are hourly.

posted by madjack on Mar 07, 2014 at 12:04:51 pm     #

City truck came to our block on Chapin Street, and cut down a tree today (it has been on a list to be removed for at least four years). It was across the street, When I saw the truck I went out to see if they were going to cut down the tree in front of my property (which has been on the list for three years). The driver had a sheaf of papers, and said mine was on the list but not to be removed today. Does the city cut these trees down according to when they were added to the list (oldest listed cut first).

I watched most of the process (to be a witness in case they damaged the house they were working in front of). The guy in the bucket cut lengths of the larger branches of only around 3-6 feet. A couple he cut almost through, and they pushed on them to drop them to the ground. A fellow showed up in a red pickup truck with a logo (but not the city logo), and took enough of the larger branches (4-6 inches across and 3-6 feet long). He filled up his pickup with them.

Usually I've seen them use a chipper but today they had a large open trailer with a claw. The operator moved smaller branches together into bunches, picked them up with the claw, and put them into the trailer behind him. The only mess left was the wood chips from chain saw.

posted by oldsendbrdy on Mar 14, 2014 at 02:21:40 pm     #

You would think it would save our tax dollars to do a day's worth in clusters.

posted by Trilby on Mar 14, 2014 at 02:50:34 pm     #

But, you see, when you are paid by the hour on the taxpayer's dime, that travel time from Alexis and Bennett to the "next tree on the list" at Heatherdowns and Cass really adds up!

So, one or two trees a day - eh, not bad for gum't work.

My neighbor's tree has been "on the list" for the 25 years we've lived in our home. He's still waiting.

posted by Foodie on Mar 14, 2014 at 03:31:05 pm     #

interesting. most of the trees that come down around here are cut by private companies the city hires / outsources to. i wonder if they are more or less efficient than a city truck

posted by upso on Mar 14, 2014 at 04:40:10 pm     #

Upso, never seen a private contractor doing city trees (between the sidewalk and the street) in this part of town. Always with a city logo on the side of the truck (unless they use city property as contractors). As for the speed of the work they seem the same.

I've had Ruiz (from Holland) to do mine ($650 for a big tree with an 18" dia limb laying on top of my garage, and putting the frame off vertical). Started about 10 AM with a rented bucket (lots of small companies rent their equipment by the day), and finished about 4 PM. Three man crew, and then I decided to cut down the tree that was in the center of my small backyard. Added another $100 to price (I told them I would get rid of wood, and saved $150 on the total price).

My neighbor used John's Tree Service early last summer. Did a large dead tree that was shedding large limbs for $450. I loaned her the money since she didn't have the cash, and my mom lived in dire fear of the tree falling on our kitchen. Was worth the loan (which is being repaid) to remove that worry every time the wind came up.

posted by oldsendbrdy on Mar 14, 2014 at 10:21:45 pm     #

Have seen private contractors trimming city trees several times in the south end.

posted by deere1 on Mar 15, 2014 at 08:01:58 am     #