Mens spa......no not that kind

Is there a walk in place in the Toledo area that offers the old time mens spa type services: steam rooms, rub downs, haircut/shave, exercise equipment, etc. No, Im not talking about the "happy ending" health spas or anything illicit. These types of places used to around years ago. It wasnt a sexual orientation thing or a sex trade thing. I know the Toledo Club offers this kinda stuff but requires memebership, hense big bucks. Do some healthclubs/gyms offer day passes?

created by BulldogBuckeye on Mar 06, 2014 at 03:24:09 pm     Comments: 9

You are talking about a Russian or Turkish bath I think. I can't imagine there are any more in Toledo. I wonder if Toledo Club has a limited time offer to see if you like it. My understanding is that they are willing to deal on the price of memberships.

posted by Ace_Face on Mar 06, 2014 at 04:10:30 pm     #

Why do I think madjack is going to chime in with three or four places in town? :)

posted by Molsonator on Mar 06, 2014 at 04:27:01 pm     #   2 people liked this

Last time I checked, Toledo Club was one proposer, two sponsors, a credit check, a $750 initiation;
then comes out to around $4,700 a year for someone over 36 in combined dues, fees and minimums.
I hadn't heard that they are offering different deals to different people of the same age and membership class.

posted by justread on Mar 06, 2014 at 04:31:39 pm     #

yeah, 5 large for a membership.......to rich for my blood.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Mar 06, 2014 at 04:41:53 pm     #

I heard at one time they had good deals for people under 30 (or some age close to that) that was significantly lower, (closer to 1200 a year) but as soon as you go over that specific age bracket you bump up. Not a cheap place.

posted by glasscityguy on Mar 06, 2014 at 05:54:41 pm     #

Under 30 you are looking at $250 initiation and about $1,650 in combined dues, fees and minimums. $400 is food and drink minimums, so maybe if you were gonna buy it anyway, you'd be down to that $1,200 range.

posted by justread on Mar 06, 2014 at 06:11:15 pm     #

Molsonator posted at 03:27:01 PM on Mar 06, 2014:

Well, there was the old Yoko spa, but that's been closed for years. The Airport spa closed down two years ago and won't be back.

The Toledo Club is the only place that will offer the services you're talking about here, and I'm not sure you can get everything at the Toledo Club anymore. The place is looking a little long in the tooth - I think dry rot is setting in.

I'd suggest checking around in Detroit, but Detroit is in such bad shape that there's nothing left. You might find a club like this in Chicago, but it isn't likely.

Virtually all men's clubs succumbed to the Feminazi movement years ago, and the few left are all gay bath houses. That's kind of sad, but that's the way it is.

posted by madjack on Mar 07, 2014 at 12:12:58 pm     #

There is such a place on the east side of Cleveland called the Schvitz that's been around for about 90 years, where you can get a steam, massage, and a steak dinner. I've never been there, but know others who have and really enjoy it. No happy endings here, just a real old school place.

posted by monty on Mar 07, 2014 at 01:35:53 pm     #   1 person liked this

monty - I've heard a story from an old timer about a place just like that that operated in a house in the Vistula neighborhood about 30-40 years ago. He said they served the best steak he's ever had. It was a one man operation, served about 4 or 5 at a time, and you had to have reservations. Has anyone ever heard of that place?

posted by brainswell on Mar 07, 2014 at 03:45:55 pm     #