Hamway's on the Main

I have been a consistent diner at Hamway's on the Main (and its predecessor) for many years. The last 4 or 5 times I've eaten there my meals haven't been up to par (cold prime rib, steak not cooked to order, really nasty tasting hamburger).

I've also noticed that they now have live music on the weekends, and I have heard ads on the radio (advertising that they haven't done in the past). These aren't bad things, but probably not something that a long-standing restaurant with steady business would typically spend money on.

Anyone have insight/opinion about what might be happening there? I don't want to ask the servers because it might put them in an uncomfortable position (they are a great group).

created by Starr15 on Mar 07, 2014 at 11:50:21 pm     Comments: 13

B. Gump is involved. He also is in the tree trimming contracting businesses and supports H.B. 153.

posted by TrilbyGuy on Mar 08, 2014 at 01:16:33 am     #

I have not eaten there in about 4 years, last time we were there the waitress was so rude/nasty/mean my wife was in tears when we left.

posted by jhop on Mar 08, 2014 at 01:21:00 am     #

Ate there as a kid when it was in the Monetts/Dave White parking lot. The name moved, the atmosphere did not

posted by TrilbyGuy on Mar 08, 2014 at 01:29:02 am     #

I know it has been for sale for at least a month... It is listed with Reuben Co.

posted by Mike21 on Mar 08, 2014 at 08:15:44 am     #

It's hard to get a good reuben in this town. (Sorry, I like reubens so I was distracted.)

posted by justread on Mar 08, 2014 at 09:33:48 am     #   2 people liked this

I ate at Tavern on The Main semi-regularly. It was one of my go-to spots after a round of golf. Their food was good and fairly priced. They did some cool specials too. One day some friends and I showed up and found that the place was bought by the Hamways. The food was greasy and more expensive. I have never been back.

The atmosphere changed too. It was a cool laid back place to grab a quick sandwich and a couple beers at the bar while under the old ownership. People I know, who live in the nearby neighborhoods stopped eating there as there seemed to be a consensus that the feel of the place got stuffy and uncomfortable in addition to the menu going downhill.

posted by nick44 on Mar 08, 2014 at 11:36:11 am     #

justread posted at 09:33:48 AM on Mar 08, 2014:

Swig in Perrysburg does a pretty mean reuben. They do their own corned beef for it, in fact.

posted by endcycle on Mar 10, 2014 at 10:33:46 am     #

Cafe at Oliver House has an awesome Rueben and even better corned beef and eggs.

posted by ahmahler on Mar 10, 2014 at 11:07:26 am     #   1 person liked this

... and now i want a reuben.

posted by endcycle on Mar 10, 2014 at 11:49:38 am     #

I prefer pastrami. Zingerman's Deli in Ann Arbor has wonderful extra lean pastrami!

posted by Starr15 on Mar 10, 2014 at 10:38:43 pm     #

Anyone know how much they are asking for hamways? Reuben co. Website is down

posted by Cajunjoeb on Mar 13, 2014 at 03:31:45 pm     #

Call Ed Weaver at Reuben - 419-262-0894

posted by Mike21 on Mar 13, 2014 at 04:50:06 pm     #

Hamway's has been recently running a bunch of ads on the radio.

posted by upso on Mar 13, 2014 at 10:04:11 pm     #