Yummy Polish Dinner and Odd Church History

For anyone who doesn't know about the awesomeness just over the state line:

Resurrection Polish National Church has a pork chop dinner Thursday, March 20th from 5 to 7 p.m. Dine in or take out. $10.

Dinner includes pork chop, kielbasa, pierogi, mashed potato, sweet/sour cabbage, Polish coffee cake (served as your dinner bread) and dessert. Coffee & hot tea available (no charge). Portions are incredibly, ridiculously generous. There's a selection of 5 different desserts made by members of the congregation.

This is a fundraising program for the church; they have a 50/50 raffle after supper with a few additional prizes. You can also buy Duck Soup and coffeecake to take home.

The church is at 1835 W. Temperance Rd, between Jackman & Douglas; call 734-847-5052 for info and for future dates.

As a historical sidelight, the Polish National Catholic Church was created back in the late 1800s when a German bishop was appointed over a Pennsylvania/Ohio region and nationalist feelings at the time led some proud Poles to break away and form their own "Catholic" church. I was completely unaware of this history until I glanced at one of the church newspapers.

created by viola on Mar 09, 2014 at 03:09:13 pm     Comments: 9

source      versions      2 people liked this

Viola:

It is on my calendar. Thanks for posting.

posted by paulhem on Mar 09, 2014 at 04:50:33 pm     #

We have tried their dinners several times in the past and they were surprisingly good. We'll continue to try them again now and then.

lynn

posted by lynn on Mar 12, 2014 at 07:15:54 pm     #

Sounds delicious! I saw some signs at Secor and Sterns about it.

I bet Historymike knows all about the history of the Poles breaking away from the church (LOL)! He's probably written some articles and submitted it to what he would call a "scholarly" publication.

posted by Starr15 on Mar 12, 2014 at 07:23:05 pm     #

Starr15 posted at 07:23:05 PM on Mar 12, 2014:

Sounds delicious! I saw some signs at Secor and Sterns about it.

This post is a great example of why nobody on here likes you.

posted by hunkytownsausage on Mar 12, 2014 at 07:51:46 pm     #   6 people liked this

Boo hoo!

posted by Starr15 on Mar 12, 2014 at 08:26:41 pm     #

Starr15 posted at 07:23:05 PM on Mar 12, 2014:

Sounds delicious! I saw some signs at Secor and Sterns about it.

Here's an idea: how about you quit hijacking threads, twit. This was a perfectly innocuous thread until you showed up and spewed bile.

posted by historymike on Mar 12, 2014 at 09:34:22 pm     #   8 people liked this

We went to a dinner there a couple of years ago. Not to sound like a broken record, but it was delicious. In fact, my mom donated a large gold and wood cross that belonged to my late grandparents who were of Polish decent to the church. It now hangs (I believe) in the multi-purpose room where they hold the meals.

posted by daddyg on Mar 13, 2014 at 07:02:00 am     #

Toledo used to have a Polish National Church called Nativtiy in the Nebraska/Junction area. It closed up I believe in the '70's. The church referenced above came about after the diocese closed St. Stanislaus and St. Anthony's. A bunch of their members were upset, so they started their own "parish". They used to have services in a church at McCord and Sylvania, before moving to Michigan. It is not recognized by the Toledo diocese, and their priests are allowed to marry.

posted by llz on Mar 13, 2014 at 01:01:47 pm     #

daddyg, I'll look for the cross next time. Cool connection.

posted by viola on Mar 13, 2014 at 03:30:48 pm     #