What to do with my dog

What is the best way to care for my dog while I am away? I am traveling for work and prior to my return, my better half will be traveling for work as well. We have enlisted sisters, grandmothers and fathers in law to mind the hound in our absence, but are still left with a 3 or 4 day window when no one we know (who will do it for free) is available to assist.
Option 1: Pay the neighbor kid, who is actually a college student who does this for other neighbors, to come in twice a day and feed her and let her out to patrol the backyard (that's her job).
Option 2: Board her for a few days where she will get some stimulus from being with other people and dogs.
With option one, she will be alone all day and during the night. I worry that she may feel lonely and thus take a shit on my bed. The neighbor woman may walk her (not a requirement) but still, that's a lot of alone time, who knows what she'll come up with.
With option two, I would be able to sleep better and she would not be bored and left to her own devices for hours on end. Cost is not a issue.
But . . . she's a pit bull. She can't help it, both of her parents were pit bulls. She had a rough childhood prior to us rescuing (i don't like that word - feels a bit self-congratulatory) her. But now, ( I know, every pit bull owner says this) she is perfect. Regardless, many places, e.g.; Pocos, will not board pit bulls. So, take that in to consideration.
So, here is the question TTers, should she stay (at home) or should she go (to a boarder); and if so, where?
Forever in debt to your priceless advice . . .

created by Progress22 on Mar 09, 2014 at 09:02:48 pm     Comments: 14

posted by Erin on Mar 09, 2014 at 09:12:21 pm     #

We love Pups Paradise for boarding. Only need to board once or twice a year, but I'd never take them anywhere else. Our dogs play in the doggie daycare all day and sleep in a private room at night. They love it!

posted by mom2 on Mar 09, 2014 at 09:27:09 pm     #

posted by mom2 on Mar 09, 2014 at 09:27:23 pm     #

I board my 2 dogs just over the border in MI. They are just a couple minutes north of downtown sylvania, and they do a great job.

It's affordable, the dogs get socialized, and they get worked out enough that when they get home they are "perfect" for a while.

If you need contact info, send me a direct message.

posted by upso on Mar 09, 2014 at 09:40:59 pm     #

We used Karnik in the past and Toledo Pet Farm more recently. Much happier with TPF.

posted by taliesin52 on Mar 09, 2014 at 11:39:23 pm     #

South Suburban at Levis Commons can as well. Plus if there is an issue the dogs can have their own "room?" which opens up to the main play area. Haven't used their service, but may in the future. They are my dogs vet and I've tried a few, and they have been the best (and best at keeping my dog calm).

Though Option 1 doesn't sound bad if you trust the guy.

posted by INeedCoffee on Mar 10, 2014 at 12:50:23 am     #

Sylvania Vet also has quite an extensive doggie day care facility. They were just recently approved to board TPD's canine units when necessary. These dogs have to be kept separate from the others so perhaps they have the same type arrangement for your Pit Bull.

posted by Foodie on Mar 10, 2014 at 10:17:34 am     #

I'll also throw my support in for Pups Paradise...great facility.

posted by avinsurer on Mar 10, 2014 at 02:13:53 pm     #

I would choose Option 1, particulary since you're going to have others check in with the dog. It only leaves a few days to have a neighbor come in and care for it. It's just my opinion, but home is the most comfortable for a pet, even if they don't see you for a few days and have someone else care for them. One on one care in the home is best, in my opinion.

That said, I also endorse Pup's Paradise, particularly if your dog loves to play with other dogs. My dog loves other dogs. I used to take her to doggie day care when she was younger to socialize her, and she rarely wanted to go home with me at the end of the day. On our next visits, she pulled me through the parking lot because she couldn't get there fast enough.

posted by renegade on Mar 10, 2014 at 09:47:14 pm     #

I'd go for option 1 as well. Your pooch will be in familiar surroundings. Just have the neighbor turn a radio or tv on some of the time. As for Sylvania Vet, I would not. Had a bad experience and will never go back..Ever.

posted by golddustwoman on Mar 10, 2014 at 10:51:56 pm     #

I would prefer option 1, too. Separation anxiety won't be so bad because they know at some point, you will come home. When I picked up my dog at a doggie day care facility, all the dogs would rush the door when they heard it open, thinking for a split second I was their owner. They wanted to go home. I think they have fun for the first few hours, then start to miss their owners.

posted by gemini on Mar 12, 2014 at 11:26:33 am     #

I'm sure they miss their owners. I know my dog misses me when I'm out of town and he's boarded. But I think of is this way: First, I trust my kennel; the owner knows my dog well. And, moreover, dogs are pack animals, and I think it's a bad practice to leave them alone for hours on end. When boarded -- at a place you trust and know -- they have the benefit of social distraction and, importantly, the chance to exercise/play away their boredom and loneliness and excess energy. Just my two cents....

posted by luvtoledo on Mar 12, 2014 at 08:01:54 pm     #

We've boarded our dog at Rover Come Over out in Monclova. They have webcams so you can see your dog through the night. I don't know if it was just because it wasn't a busy weekend, but we checked the cam and she was completely alone at night both nights. Apparently no one else needed boarding. I felt bad for her!

But other than that (which isn't their fault), we've had good experiences there.

posted by slowsol on Mar 12, 2014 at 08:34:23 pm     #

If you're afraid the dog will have behavior issues from being alone in the house, I would take it to a facility like Pups Paradise for care while you are gone. Nice to have all options like that. Hope everything works out for you.

posted by bikerdude on Mar 13, 2014 at 11:45:13 pm     #