Dumping things off at the dump

I've never been to the dump but I have a mattress set I'm looking to get rid of.

Can anyone give me an idea of the proper way to do this? What is the process for getting rid of stuff like this?

My preference is to not leave this out for general collection and am able to haul stuff pretty easy.

created by upso on Mar 10, 2014 at 11:20:02 pm     Comments: 6

Have only been to the Wood County landfill off of Route 6. There you drive over and stop your vehicle on a weigh platform which registers the total weight. The attendant let's you drive through and you stop your vehicle right next to a below grade bin and you toss the junk into the bin. After unloading you drive back over the weigh platform which weighs the empty vehicle and th
attendant collects the fee based on the weight of your net load. Cost is x$ per ton with a min chg of about $19? which corresponded to something like 1-2 tons. You could find the specifics on the web sites for Wood County as well as landfills in Lucas County.

imum
charge of about $19? which on somewh

posted by marco on Mar 11, 2014 at 05:35:04 am     #

upso: check with the Hoffman Rd. landfill. They have a "free" dump day at least once a year for LC residents - just show your driver's license or utility bill in your name.

I hauled some stuff over there around June of last year. Don't know if they have any scheduled before this June.

Get there EARLY. You wouldn't believe the lineup of folks waiting to dump stuff. Alternately, you could arrange for a large item pickup with Republic - but I think you only get one or two of those a year.

posted by Foodie on Mar 11, 2014 at 09:13:49 am     #

thanks!

posted by upso on Mar 11, 2014 at 01:23:02 pm     #

The last mattress I got rid of I cut the cover off and threw it and all the padding in the regular garbage ( 1 full can) then set the metal spring assembly out at the curb and it was gone in an hour.

posted by OldTimer on Mar 11, 2014 at 04:07:55 pm     #

With Republic, you get 1 free "bulk" pick-up every 3 months. I believe it's $55 for each one thereafter. Oh, and the 3 months isn't calendar, it's 3 months between bulk pick-ups.

posted by MarcMc on Mar 11, 2014 at 04:17:46 pm     #

OldTimer posted at 04:07:55 PM on Mar 11, 2014:

whoa, that's a good idea

posted by upso on Mar 11, 2014 at 04:25:03 pm     #