Cuban sandwich in toledo?

Just got back from Florida where I was introduced to the Cuban sandwich... OMG! SO, is there anyone in toledo who serves up a decent Cuban?

created by billy on Mar 20, 2014 at 07:46:46 pm     Comments: 16

source      versions      1 person liked this

Grumpy's has a great version of the Cuban.
Nick and Jimmy's has a horrible version.

posted by jhop on Mar 20, 2014 at 07:58:12 pm     #

Doc Watson's has a terrific version

posted by seannymurrs on Mar 20, 2014 at 08:16:40 pm     #

Has anybody tried the Cuban restaurant in Marblehead?

posted by jhop on Mar 20, 2014 at 08:34:19 pm     #

It's hard to find anywhere that does a really authentic cuban outside of Florida, but that doesn't mean there aren't really good versions of them. (As in, "most authentic" doesn't always mean "most delicious way.")

Anyway, yeah, Grumpy's has the Babalu, which is pretty freakin delicious. In my opinion, getting the bread good and crisped is the most important part of the whole deal.

posted by Johio83 on Mar 20, 2014 at 09:16:29 pm     #

I agree the Babalu is fantastic.

If you can drive a little farther Vincente's in Detroit is one of my favorite places to eat up there. The Cuban there is great, but they also have some other delicious entrees, Cuban Style Paella, Ropa Vieja, etc...

posted by glasscityguy on Mar 21, 2014 at 07:56:16 am     #   1 person liked this

The best Cuban I had locally (to date) was at Panera, but they only offer it on a rotating basis. I am not a regular Panera visitor, but the last two times I was there it was not on the menu. I will have to try the Grumpy's offering!

posted by historymike on Mar 21, 2014 at 08:55:39 am     #

Vicente in Detroit gets my vote as well. Like everything about the place.

posted by Hoops on Mar 21, 2014 at 10:02:19 am     #

now i want a cuban damnit

posted by upso on Mar 21, 2014 at 11:32:50 am     #

Will he be washing the dishes? Sorry probably a bad joke.

posted by MIJeff on Mar 21, 2014 at 11:34:33 am     #

Trotters on Heatherdowns has a Cuban sandwich.

posted by buckeye278 on Mar 21, 2014 at 04:02:18 pm     #

South End Grille has a pretty good Cuban Sandwich

posted by mennell on Mar 21, 2014 at 10:04:10 pm     #

I'm not trying to be mean but----

posted by Wydowmaker on Mar 22, 2014 at 12:31:08 pm     #

Doc watsons is solid-we honestly make our own fairly often-there's nothing particularly exotic about them. The one trick is we press them with a iron skillet and brick wrapped in foil. preheat both, and press away. In fact, anytime we have leftover pork tenderloin, that's what we do.

posted by ahmahler on Mar 22, 2014 at 02:47:04 pm     #   1 person liked this

I'd give Grumpys a try, not sure if they have a Cuban but their Reuban is the best I've ever had anywhere.

posted by INeedCoffee on Mar 24, 2014 at 02:37:24 am     #

Granite City and Table 44 have an AMAZING Cuban sand.

posted by Walleye419 on Mar 25, 2014 at 04:58:21 pm     #

JB Sarnies aslo has a good Cuban sand.

posted by Walleye419 on Mar 25, 2014 at 04:59:08 pm     #