Sump pump to street or sewer?

Are there any restrictions to where I can have the sump pump drain to? Its currently setup to go to the street, however I know the pvc pipe is cracked in several places. Can I tie this into my homes main sewer line?

created by presbacon on May 01, 2014 at 05:08:19 pm     Home     Comments: 6

Am sure someone on here can site chapter and verse for bldg. code, but can report from experience when the main line backs up causing a prob it will not do any value to expect the bilge pump to keep up and remove the water into the source of the flood. Needs a separate line to expiate.

posted by Mariner on May 01, 2014 at 05:18:37 pm     #   2 people liked this

I'd rather have it go to the street as the storm sewer and sanitary sewer are now separate throughout the city. Sending more water to the sanitary sewer increases chance of a backup. At my last home, when the street flooded badly enough to hit the sanitary sewer it came through my basement sewer. My sump was able to keep up with it.

posted by bucknut on May 01, 2014 at 05:32:39 pm     #

I assume you mean city sewers; my experience is that any municipality that charges for sewer use as part of your water bill will fine you if they catch you with a sump discharging to the sewer line. The rationale is you could potentially send an unmetered amount of water into your sewer (negligible as it may be) and not pay for it. Of course, they'd have to catch you first...

posted by Sohio on May 01, 2014 at 06:28:38 pm     #

They want it on your lawn.

posted by justread on May 01, 2014 at 07:49:36 pm     #

A neighbor's lawn is better.

posted by holland on May 02, 2014 at 06:01:40 am     #   1 person liked this

Sure, you can tie it into the main sewer line. It's not the best idea you've ever had in your life, but it can be done. If you do decide to dump it to the sewer, what will probably happen is that you'll overload the sewer line and the sewer will back up into the house.

Have fun.