SHARE A BIKE ROUTE AND WIN!

I have 5 sets of Mud Hens tickets to give away, and I want to give them to people who share their knowledge about how to get around Toledo on a bike!

Toledo is broken up by interstate highways, rivers and creeks, road design and big industrial campuses. It can be intimidating for new bike riders to figure out how to most easily get from here to there. You can help people find their way and win a day at the ballpark!

Each pass is good for two Field Level tickets, and a round-trip ticket on TARTA on thee day of the game, to one of five Mud Hens games in May 5/11 @ 2 pm, 5/13 @ 6:30 pm, 5/15 @ 6:30 pm, 5/26 @ 6 pm, 5/27 @ 6:30 pm.

To enter, make a map of a Toledo bike route and share it publicly.

There's lots of ways to share a bike route online. You can make a page and a map at http://localwiki.net/toledo/Best_Bike_Routes
You can use mapmyride, google maps, or other map-making software. You can write really clear text directions and share them on facebook, twitter or other social media sites, if you can write really clear text directions.

Then respond here by midnight on May 9th with:
1. a link to your map,
2. A short explanation of why you chose to share your route like you did
You can also argue why your bike route is the best, but it's not required.

On May 10th, I'll pick five winners for Mud Hens tickets. Ticket coupons will go to the people who create the best shared routes for these routes:

HEALTHY FOOD & FUN - Phoenix Earth Co-op to Mud Hens Stadium
ART/MOVIE - Toledo Museum of Art to the Ohio Theater

If you have another great bike route you want to share, share it! One ticket coupon to the best route.
One ticket coupon will go to the person who finds the best way to share bike routes.
Finally, all entries will be entered into a random drawing for the last ticket coupon!

How do you get around Toledo on your bike?

created by ifXthenWhyNot on May 03, 2014 at 04:03:50 pm     Comments: 13

Just in time for bike to work week, here's my trip to work by bike. The University Trail part is great, Dorr St. not so much but it takes you through interesting parts of the city. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/407937238

posted by fred on May 04, 2014 at 03:58:19 pm     #

Here's the route from downtown Maumee to downtown Toledo.

I ride pretty much that route a few times a week to commute to work. It's mostly safe. I do run into some bad drivers once I get closer to Toledo past the zoo, but usually they're suburbanites in a hurry to get to or from work.

posted by endcycle on May 05, 2014 at 09:16:23 am     #

fred, can you make the route viewable to the public? i'm excited to see it - sounds like a way i often go. do you ride on the street or the twisty sidewalks on dorr?

thanks, endcycle. broadway makes me a little nervous in places. do you ever jump on the little bike trail in the park? i think i would, but i don't have any experience commuting that far.

posted by ifXthenWhyNot on May 05, 2014 at 04:40:56 pm     #

I thought I had. duh. i'll look at map my ride tonight and see how to do it.

posted by fred on May 05, 2014 at 06:08:46 pm     #

Believe I got it, try it again

posted by fred on May 05, 2014 at 08:11:33 pm     #

Hi fred. I'm not seeing a route when I click that link.

posted by upso on May 05, 2014 at 09:41:00 pm     #

but usually they're suburbanites in a hurry to get to or from work.

Exactly how do you tell that they are 'suburbanites'? Last I looked, my license plates don't show my address.

posted by MrsArcher on May 05, 2014 at 10:01:06 pm     #

MrsArcher posted at 10:01:06 PM on May 05, 2014:

but usually they're suburbanites in a hurry to get to or from work.

Well, it's an assumption based on the following: lots of audis and bmws doing 45 heading westbound on Broadway/River at 5:30 and the same cars eastbound at 8. Now, they might not be suburbanites, and I could very well be wrong.. but I'm probably right.

posted by endcycle on May 06, 2014 at 09:29:19 am     #

ifXthenWhyNot posted at 04:40:56 PM on May 05, 2014:

I haven't taken the trail in the park at all - just the road. What makes you nervous, the neighborhood? I've yet to have any issue, but then again I'm not riding at 2am. :)

posted by endcycle on May 06, 2014 at 09:30:20 am     #

Personally, I'll ride through any neighborhood street before I ride on a 4-lane busy road. That's one reason I'm interested in bike routes - Google Maps seems to take me on roads I know I don't want to ride on. Last night, when to get from Toledo Bikes to Toledo Heights Library, Google Maps sent me down Dorr then down Detroit. I knew I didn't want to do that. Instead I went this way -

I thought there was a way to go where I could avoid Broadway, but I didn't find it.

posted by ifXthenWhyNot on May 06, 2014 at 09:49:47 am     #

Thanks, Fred. It works for me now. But maybe it's cuz I'm logged in to mapmyride.com?

posted by ifXthenWhyNot on May 06, 2014 at 09:54:02 am     #

"No, cars. But not really on the part where the trail is, so it's not like that short bike path helps. On Broadway closer to Downtown, the part that's really hard to avoid. Especially this bend right before you go under a bridge. I may have a gopro video of what I'm talking about. I'll check."

Yeah, I know where you're talking about- it can get a touch dicey around a couple of spots, but not too bad. I usually cut through on (i think) Maumee st to erie, by the old Antique Alley. That bypasses the really scary traffic areas.

posted by endcycle on May 06, 2014 at 10:15:49 am     #

(also, I have no problem jumping in and taking an entire lane if I feel like I need to :))

posted by endcycle on May 06, 2014 at 10:16:16 am     #