Time to start rolling my own!

Tobacco cigarettes that is!

I've been researching non-electric rolling machines and checking out all the reviews I can find on them. Is anyone here already doing this that might be able to give me some recommendations for a local vendor and other tips?

I'm familiar with the Smoke Shack at Reynolds Corners and I know there's another place at Holloway and Airport (at least, that's where I thought I saw it). I smoke "Lite" menthol cigarettes. I know that a lot of difference can be made by the tubes and tobacco used. Any suggestions from someone who's already gone this route?

Much appreciated.

created by hippiechick on May 13, 2014 at 04:46:11 pm     Comments: 6

I don't know, hippiechick. This one guy I used to work with could roll one handed while driving, something I could never do. Come to think of it, he was the only one who could do it.

Well, maybe the Head Shed has something that will help you out.

posted by madjack on May 13, 2014 at 09:22:38 pm     #

When I was a poor college student, we would roll our own when we couldn't afford to buy Camel Lights. But I found that is pretty hard to duplicate the experience of smoking store bought. The tobacco would always be too moist or too dry and the cigarette was too tight or too loose. Might be a good opportunity to quit. Easyway to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr was the book that did it for me. Good luck!

posted by Ace_Face on May 13, 2014 at 09:35:27 pm     #

madjack...too funny...I used to have a good friend who could roll one with one hand, too. Never seen anything like it. My friend was a guitar player/affectionado and also in a medical field. You don't think......nah, couldn't be.

posted by hippiechick on May 13, 2014 at 10:45:36 pm     #

I get Stokkebye's at Port Royal on Secor between Central and Monroe.

I hand-roll them with filters, and I find that the filters make it easier to roll once you get the hang of it. Friends have small rolling machines that are basically two rollers and a sheet of cloth. You have to get the hang of using that too, but it's consistent once you do.

I got frustrated with tubes - I'd either buy a big box and end up smashing them, making them hard to use, or I'd run out too fast. I can see if I still have the tube machine if you're interested.

I think you can get menthol filters at Port Royal.

As for tobacco, I like Stokkebye's way better than something like Drum. It's not necessarily more expensive, either. It's definitely better and cheaper than the Pall Malls I buy when I'm too lazy to get out to the suburbs.

posted by ifXthenWhyNot on May 14, 2014 at 09:12:52 am     #

I second Stokkebye's. It's a great quality tobacco and not any more expensive. I too hand roll the with filters. Get mine from Lynx tobacco on airport hwy

posted by steve155 on May 14, 2014 at 02:42:39 pm     #

I'm pretty sure Lynx was the place I noticed on Airport and Holloway. I'll definitely head that way.

posted by hippiechick on May 14, 2014 at 03:00:32 pm     #