Old West End Festival 2014

hey guys!
Warm weather is here, and festival season is almost upon us!
I'm just going to paraphrase myself from last year's festival post:

It's almost here! The biggest (and in my opinion best) neighborhood festival is coming!

And here is a FB event page, to add to your calendars:

The Toledo City Paper is once again stepping up as a huge media sponsor, and we've also got the blade on board for sponsoring parade.

We've expanding the food, music and beer offerings in the arboretum and once again are doing friday night programing as well. Tons of food vendors near the Glass Pavilion, art fair, vendors, yard sales and don't forget saturday's parade!

I'll post more links as I have them, but I wanted to give you all a heads up. Normally festival is the first weekend of June, but this year because June starts on a sunday, we're doing it the first "full" weekend of June with is the 7th & 8th.

Hope you all can come!

created by upso on May 20, 2014 at 04:57:48 pm     Entertainment     Comments: 41

source      versions      1 person liked this

A very good friend of mine is headed into town for a vacation from GranolaLand, so we'll probably attend on Saturday. I kind of think we'll go to the art show and the car show, then get lunch somewhere.

Any tips or information you could provide on parking would be appreciated as far as the OWE festival of 2014 - or most anything else.

Also, here's a link to the Old West End Festival online, which has a map and schedule attached to it.

The Toledo City Paper may have something later on, but right now it's more of a historical paper.

posted by madjack on May 20, 2014 at 07:18:13 pm     #

the friday night music lineup can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/events/699038770160398

posted by upso on May 20, 2014 at 07:55:31 pm     #

Madjack, parking is pretty easy. Most of the neighborhood is not shut down (as far as road closures go) so you can basically just drive into the neighborhood and park anywhere you find a space.

If you're a museum member, you can also park in one of their parking lots. In addition, lots of spaces are available around the churches in Collingwood.

posted by upso on May 20, 2014 at 07:57:07 pm     #

might miss tis year :(

posted by Hoops on May 20, 2014 at 09:44:54 pm     #

My 10-year-old daughter and I always wear our fanciest Victorian sunhats and tour the homes. We've learned to ask each guide, "Is this home haunted?" They usually look around and say in a low voice, "Well, I'm not supposed to say this, but..."

You hear the best stories that way!

posted by Anniecski on May 21, 2014 at 08:43:02 am     #

Argh! The music lineup for Friday night is awesome and we can't make it. :( (taking the family to see Vampire Weekend in detroit - i suppose that almost makes up for it)

Any idea what the music schedule / locations will be for Saturday? I know Fast Piece of Furniture will be in town to play.

posted by endcycle on May 21, 2014 at 09:37:48 am     #   2 people liked this

I've been looking forward to this for months! I even have a little savings fund for any art that tickles my fancy.

posted by OhioKimono on May 21, 2014 at 10:05:03 am     #

My husband and I always hit the Art Fair, but I have to say the last few years - its not what it used to be. Its supposed to be juried, and some of the stuff is really nice, but other stuff I can get at any craft show (note, I said craft show, not art show). I don't know if we will bother to go this year.

posted by MrsArcher on May 21, 2014 at 12:34:57 pm     #

endcycle posted at 09:37:48 AM on May 21, 2014:

I think you win the Cool Dad of the Year award.

(If by "family" you mean your kids!)

posted by dell_diva on May 21, 2014 at 01:31:12 pm     #   1 person liked this

dell_diva posted at 01:31:12 PM on May 21, 2014:
endcycle posted at 09:37:48 AM on May 21, 2014:

I think you win the Cool Dad of the Year award.

(If by "family" you mean your kids!)

i meant my kids. My younger (16) is a huge fan of vampire weekend, as are I and my wife. The wife and I saw them at Outside Lands last summer, and we took the younger to see them at teh Fillmore last spring.

posted by endcycle on May 21, 2014 at 03:13:25 pm     #

Full entertainment schedule is now up:

posted by upso on May 21, 2014 at 03:29:49 pm     #

endcycle posted at 09:37:48 AM on May 21, 2014:

My wife are seeing Vampire Weekend Friday night was well, but we hope to make down to the festival Sunday with the whole family including my sister and niece who are in town for the next couple of weeks.

posted by SensorG on Jun 01, 2014 at 12:15:45 pm     #

I really need to proof read my work before hitting submit...excuse the poor grammar.

posted by SensorG on Jun 01, 2014 at 12:17:32 pm     #

it'll only get worse after some beers in the Arboretum ;)

posted by upso on Jun 01, 2014 at 12:22:14 pm     #   1 person liked this

More goings on during Festival! From the Libbey House FB page:

The Libbey House has been selected to participate on the Old West End Festival Home Tours during the OWE Festival Weekend June 7 & 8, 2014. Ohio-made Toft's Ice Cream will be offered on the south lawn both days from Noon until 4:00pm.

Saturday evening, from 6:00-9:00pm, a Victorian Wine Garden will offer fine wines, craft beer, and artisan cheese/fruit plates. All of this will be under a large party tent while you enjoy listening to live music! Please see the events calendar for more details.

posted by toledolen_ on Jun 03, 2014 at 01:35:19 pm     #

Sorry - forgot link!

posted by toledolen_ on Jun 03, 2014 at 01:35:44 pm     #

Also, pre-sale tickets for the home tours are available at Black Kite Coffee.

But you can get tickets during festival at the info booths.

posted by toledolen_ on Jun 03, 2014 at 01:37:36 pm     #

My husband did the windows at the Libby House yesterday he said how great it is. I'd like to see this.

posted by SherryET on Jun 04, 2014 at 04:51:23 am     #

Toledo.com posted a link today, for mobile phones
if you're looking for where the entertainment is this weekend, check this out! http://toledo.com/owe

posted by upso on Jun 04, 2014 at 07:01:16 pm     #

the weather is absolutely perfect!

posted by upso on Jun 07, 2014 at 02:28:14 pm     #

It was a great time on Saturday, as usual. Thanks to all who make it happen. We took a couple who had never attended, and they loved it. We arrived at Black Kite a little after 9:00 a.m., and we left the OWE in the early evening. We're headed back to the OWE this morning to finish up. The weather will be comfy again. The bulk of the rain has passed. We might get a brief rain shower early.

posted by jr on Jun 08, 2014 at 10:43:36 am     #

it's really cooled down, and is another lovely day for a stroll through the OWE! Glad you had fun jr!

posted by upso on Jun 08, 2014 at 01:16:35 pm     #

It's been a great day at the festival. As a matter of fact I'm enjoying a root beer float and funnel cake with the family right now!

The Hines Farm set up was awesome.

posted by SensorG on Jun 08, 2014 at 04:24:34 pm     #

I'm happy to hear that! Thanks for coming!

posted by upso on Jun 08, 2014 at 09:22:54 pm     #

Came out Saturday and had an absolute blast. Great music, great people, great weather... happy times.

posted by endcycle on Jun 09, 2014 at 12:36:37 pm     #

I saw you saturday night at the big party. You looked to be having a great time. :)

posted by upso on Jun 09, 2014 at 04:43:53 pm     #

I heard the OWE folks made as much at the Friday night party this year as the whole festival pulled in last year. If so, congrats!

posted by Anniecski on Jun 09, 2014 at 04:57:56 pm     #

Not entirely true, but it was a banner year.

posted by upso on Jun 09, 2014 at 06:40:06 pm     #

upso posted at 04:43:53 PM on Jun 09, 2014:

Oh boy. I don't necessarily even want to know what that looked like. :) Shoulda said hi! Saw a LOT of people I haven't seen in years, and managed to catch a good friend's performance.

posted by endcycle on Jun 10, 2014 at 08:53:30 am     #

upso posted at 06:40:06 PM on Jun 09, 2014:

Not entirely true, but it was a banner year.

I can't decide whether to make the obvious John Bender/breakfast club joke or the topical Banner Mattress joke.

posted by justread on Jun 10, 2014 at 05:17:54 pm     #

Upso/endcycle,

If either of you know the t-shirt guy who sells the 'You will better in Toledo' t-shirts, give the guy some advice.

He either needs to decide wether he wants to sell stuff or hang out and chat it up with his friends.

Both at 419 day and at the OWE festival, all the guy(s) did was stand around chatting it up with his friends blocking his merchandise and ignoring customers.

Couldn't even get to get to his display on 419 day with his group standing in front and at the festival my wife couldn't get him away from his friends to ask about shirt sizes.

On the upside, the guy down the strip was happy to take my $60 for new Toledo/419 t-shirts for the family.

posted by SensorG on Jun 11, 2014 at 06:45:56 am     #

I will pass it along! In the meantime / next time, swing by his website or just approach him and say hi! He couldn't be a nicer guy. http:// jupmode.com

posted by upso on Jun 11, 2014 at 10:12:00 am     #

just saw this... pretty cool:

posted by upso on Jun 11, 2014 at 11:32:56 am     #

I saw me in the video!

I think. I may have blinked.

posted by Anniecski on Jun 11, 2014 at 11:38:49 am     #

Way to fast and the music got old real fast for length of video, but cool to see all those photos, looked like they were all having a good time.

posted by MIJeff on Jun 11, 2014 at 11:41:24 am     #

I wish I could unsee the guy at 1:02 with the red hair. :(

posted by justread on Jun 11, 2014 at 11:58:23 am     #

MIJeff posted at 11:41:24 AM on Jun 11, 2014:

here are all of the individual photos:

posted by upso on Jun 11, 2014 at 05:28:26 pm     #

aha. found myself and the wife. neat. :)

posted by endcycle on Jun 12, 2014 at 12:16:32 pm     #

Liked the picture of Elvis and the skeleton, cute they had photos of dogs in there too.

posted by MIJeff on Jun 12, 2014 at 12:33:27 pm     #