Alexis Rd Toys'r us closing.

Why would someone buy the property in front of a torn down mall? Perhaps something is going to be built there? (fingers crossed)

Anybody have any inside info on what might be happening there?

created by Erin on Jun 09, 2014 at 07:35:32 pm     News     Comments: 32

Whoever buys the property would have to honor - or buy out - the existing lease (assuming they weren't month-to-month tenants) that the store had there. Perhaps the lease expired or was about to and the new owners may have wanted to raise the rent too high. However, Toys R Us announced they were closing other under-performing stores across the country along with the one on Alexis. If that is the case, it might end up being just another empty building for awhile.

posted by Mike21 on Jun 09, 2014 at 08:35:28 pm     #

A while might = a decade.

posted by oldhometown on Jun 10, 2014 at 01:14:05 am     #

The property taxes are more than $60,000 per year. As far as the county goes, Toys R Us-Delaware still owns it, and more than $30,000 is owed.

posted by justread on Jun 10, 2014 at 07:08:02 am     #

Sad for me. I met my wife there when we both worked there in the jolly days of my retail life 15+ years ago.

For that area now, it would be fitting if it was replaced with an adult toy super store.

posted by JoeyGee on Jun 10, 2014 at 07:17:45 am     #   1 person liked this

JoeyGee posted at 07:17:45 AM on Jun 10, 2014:

Adult toy super store. I thought the same thing.

So, I gotta know. Did you name your kid Geoffrey?

posted by justread on Jun 10, 2014 at 07:55:27 am     #   2 people liked this

I've NEVER heard that one Justread, lol.

posted by JoeyGee on Jun 10, 2014 at 08:04:50 am     #

The Alexis/Telegraph area just can't catch a break.....Strip Clubs and Grogan

posted by Hoops on Jun 10, 2014 at 08:37:22 am     #

IMHO the city should give WalMart the property free and connect the utilities for free if they build a Super WM and Sams club there. Krogers and Meijers need some competition.

posted by Erin on Jun 10, 2014 at 05:40:23 pm     #

We need more Walmarts?

posted by mixman on Jun 10, 2014 at 07:50:55 pm     #

Long way to drive from Alexis and Telegraph to get to a Wal-mart or Sam's club, closest I think is in Monroe from there.

posted by MIJeff on Jun 10, 2014 at 08:51:00 pm     #

There was a Sam's club at Lewis and Alexis, it was where Kroger is now.

posted by jhop on Jun 10, 2014 at 11:28:31 pm     #   1 person liked this

Key word being was, if there was one close I might actually go there once in a while.

posted by MIJeff on Jun 11, 2014 at 01:44:11 am     #   1 person liked this

jhop posted at 11:28:31 PM on Jun 10, 2014:

There was a Sam's club at Lewis and Alexis, it was where Kroger is now.

Are you sure it wasn't Builder's Square?

I did business with Sam's for a long time and can't remember any Toledo area store other than #8139 at 1300 Mall Drive in Holland.

I think that location Kroger/Dick's Sporting Goods had a Builder's Square and where Home Depot is now across Lewis was a Handy Andy.

posted by justread on Jun 11, 2014 at 06:10:18 am     #

The original Sam's Club for Toledo was where the Kroger is now at Alexis/Lewis. I also remember Builder Square, which lasted longer than the rest.

posted by webrioter on Jun 11, 2014 at 08:07:42 am     #

Thanks. I don't know why I can't remember it there.

posted by justread on Jun 11, 2014 at 08:09:26 am     #

I recall that there was a BJ's Wholesale location off of Alexis, but that was some 20-25 years ago.

posted by jimavolt on Jun 11, 2014 at 08:28:26 am     #

I do remember BJ'S Wholesale, Handy Andy and Builder's Square. I don't remember Sam's, either, but I trust your recollection better than mine, lol.

posted by JoeyGee on Jun 11, 2014 at 08:33:31 am     #

The Sam's Club on Alexis was originally a "Pace" warehouse club. When they went OOB, Sam's moved in.

BJ's was in the plaza near Carter Lumber on Telegraph just north of Alexis.

posted by Foodie on Jun 11, 2014 at 08:40:53 am     #

I believe BJ's was built on the site of the former Telegraph Drive In... the building is still there

posted by Mike21 on Jun 11, 2014 at 09:11:43 am     #

Pace Warehouse......I was racking my brain trying to remember that one!!

posted by Hoops on Jun 11, 2014 at 09:27:39 am     #

Mike21 posted at 09:11:43 AM on Jun 11, 2014:

I wanted to see something about the Telegraph Drive In and found this:

posted by justread on Jun 11, 2014 at 09:48:33 am     #   2 people liked this

Builders Square is where Dicks sporting goods is now. Handy Andy is where Home Depot is now. There was another giant home improvement box store across from Grogan's Chrysler the name escapes me though. That whole area is like a magnet for home improvement / hardware stores.
1. Handy Andy - gone
2. Carter Lumber - gone
3. 84 Lumber - gone
4. Builders Square - gone
5. Unkown Name Across from Grogans - gone
6. Home Depot
7. Lowes
8. Home Depot
9. Menards

posted by MIJeff on Jun 11, 2014 at 11:36:48 am     #

The ToysRUs store on Reynolds looks like sh*t. It resembles a semi-abandoned warehouse with a dirty, ragged parking lot. Why not put a welcoming facade close to the street and the parking lot in back? a perfect example of short-sighted development.

posted by SavageFred on Jun 12, 2014 at 11:19:22 am     #

Once the Clarion hotel is torn down, it will revitalize the area.....so says the City of Toledo

posted by Hoops on Jun 12, 2014 at 11:53:05 am     #

Looks like they are closing due to sale of building. Interesting to see what happens or who bought.

posted by Xbuckeyex on Jun 12, 2014 at 11:53:34 am     #

While we are talking about NBC 24, I went to Buckeye today and got my antenna so i can watch the US Open this weekend. They were very helpful.

posted by Molsonator on Jun 12, 2014 at 01:18:55 pm     #

They are hanging by one heck of a thread Molsonator.

The Nielsen book came out this week, and would you believe, WNWO is actually UP in some time periods compared to a year ago, when cable subscribers assumed that BCI was the only way to get WNWO.

posted by justread on Jun 12, 2014 at 01:55:25 pm     #

While I am watching Phil make history in his newly sponsored Clorox hat, I will be taking notes as to which local advertisers stuck with them.

Did I hear somewhere around town that their contract with ATT U-Verse is up this month as well?

posted by Molsonator on Jun 12, 2014 at 02:25:18 pm     #

Go Phil!

I didn't hear that their contract was up this month.

posted by justread on Jun 12, 2014 at 04:52:45 pm     #

Does anyone know the time schedule for the closing of the Toys R Us store....the topic of this thread.

posted by breeman on Jun 13, 2014 at 08:36:06 am     #

posted by breeman on Jun 13, 2014 at 08:36:07 am     #

From the first post:

"toward the end of july"

posted by justread on Jun 13, 2014 at 09:28:43 am     #