Uber is now in Toledo!!!!

I found Uber just began service in Toledo a few minutes ago!!!

I travel to major cities at least two times (often times four times) a month and love having Uber in cities even where taxis are easy to find.

Hopefully the do well in Toledo. Taxi's are a real hassle to take in this city. A few weeks ago I went out with a friend at the Blarney downtown and she was too drunk to drive home and she decided to call a cab and have them drop me off at my place in the warehouse district and she would have me drop her car off to her the next morning and drive me back home (we had walked over from my loft and she wasn't comfortable walking back at night).

20 minutes after she's calls no cab and she calls again and was told they were busy and would be there as soon as possible (this was 1:30 a.m. and she called around 1:10) and ten minutes later still no cab and we found someone that dropped us off at my place and she spent the night. If uber works as well here as in other cities, she would have had a car by 1:15 if she used the app at 1:10.

And how much you want to bet the cab drivers are going to be throwing a fit when they find out about this?

created by classylady on Jun 13, 2014 at 03:30:15 pm     Comments: 45

i keep hearing about Uber as though it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've read about what they do, how much the company is valued at, and I just don't get it. It seems just about as exciting as Tarta service. It seems like a way to get from one place to another place. Someone explain this one to me.

posted by hank on Jun 13, 2014 at 03:58:59 pm     #

This is GREAT news. When I broke my femur last year, I had to rely on taxi's a couple times and the one time I waited close to an hour for a cab to pick me up in South Toledo. I wish Uber would have been around last year. Great service in the cities I have used it in, especially London and NYC where it can be hard to find cabs. I just launch the app and have a car within five minutes max most times and the app will tell you the location of the driver and when he will be there.

I'm disappointed the Blade didn't make any mention of this. I'm honestly surprised they would serve a market like Toledo and you would think the media would be all over this story.

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 13, 2014 at 04:00:59 pm     #

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 13, 2014 at 04:03:09 pm     #

I am waiting for them all to be targeted as illegal taxi cabs, operating without a license.

posted by MIJeff on Jun 13, 2014 at 04:05:20 pm     #

"Hank, if you have to rely on a taxi Uber is great. As mentioned by me and another poster you have to call for a taxi in Toledo and wait forever and in some big cities like NYC and London, it's hard to find cabs at peak times or in some areas. The Uber app gets you a ride in about 5 minutes max and you know where the drive is so you aren't stuck waiting outside in bad weather"

Still doesn't seem to be enough to warrant the level of enthusiasm around this company. Even in New York, taxi use is 1%.

41% use the subway, 24% drive alone, 12% take the bus, 10% walk to work, 2% travel by commuter rail, 5% carpool, 1% use a taxi, 0.6% ride their bicycle to work, and 0.2% travel by ferry

posted by hank on Jun 13, 2014 at 04:28:47 pm     #

what do the other 4.2% use?

posted by MIJeff on Jun 13, 2014 at 05:04:05 pm     #

MIJeff posted at 05:04:05 PM on Jun 13, 2014:

what do the other 4.2% use?

Rickshaws.

posted by jr on Jun 13, 2014 at 05:36:08 pm     #   4 people liked this

Motorcycle's? Or would it be Motorcycles'?

Oh yes... motorcycles.

posted by justread on Jun 13, 2014 at 05:37:25 pm     #

Rollerblades

posted by Ace_Face on Jun 13, 2014 at 06:44:53 pm     #   1 person liked this

I agree. Maybe you are the tip for this story?

posted by paulhem on Jun 13, 2014 at 07:46:22 pm     #

I knew Uber was in the works to come here. Lyft has been here since April. I'm a driver and a mentor. It's been great so far.

posted by jbtaurus98 on Jun 13, 2014 at 08:52:50 pm     #

I didn't know Lyft was here. Another good service. These services are great for airport pickups when there is a long taxi queue

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 13, 2014 at 10:28:30 pm     #

lyft and uber will soon be everywhere.

posted by upso on Jun 13, 2014 at 10:48:04 pm     #

jbtaurus98 posted at 08:52:50 PM on Jun 13, 2014:

Do you have to take the pink mustache off of the car when you aren't performing as a transportation service?

posted by justread on Jun 14, 2014 at 07:56:49 am     #

hank posted at 03:58:59 PM on Jun 13, 2014:

Here's how it works. They developed an app that allows them to run a transportation service without running a transportation service.

They have no liability, guarantee nothing, don't vouch for the drivers, can't really say what will happen, it's not their fault, their problem, or their concern. Ride with a stranger at your own risk and peril.

Wonder whether the drivers tell their insurance companies that they are providing public ground transportation services for a fee. Guessing insurance carriers will start excluding claims. Nobody wants to accept the liability.
Not sure how this differs from renting out rooms in a home that's insured as my personal residence or selling food out of my kitchen and saying it's not a food service operation.
If you order a pizza from me using a third party app, I'm not a restaurant. I'm "food sharing."

I'm not pro or con, but find the unresolved legal aspects of these emerging quasi-commercial services interesting.

posted by justread on Jun 14, 2014 at 08:08:45 am     #

BTW. Because of this post, The Blade learned of Uber serving Toledo.

Thank you!

justread: This is another social media-type technology that is disrupting another legacy business. I have to believe that their will be legal challenges.

It looks like there is a lot of legal activities to see right now.

posted by paulhem on Jun 14, 2014 at 10:13:05 am     #

Oh. Here's a story The Blade used from the New York Times. It was modified with local Toledo information. Also, Tom Fisher created a nice graphic.

Considering the timing involved - last night 8:00 p.m. - The Blade jumped on this. Let's see whether other local outlets pick this up.

posted by paulhem on Jun 14, 2014 at 10:23:16 am     #

justread posted at 07:56:49 AM on Jun 14, 2014:
jbtaurus98 posted at 08:52:50 PM on Jun 13, 2014:

No, we don't have to take off the 'stache, in fact, many of us keep it on all the time as a way to promote Lyft.

posted by jbtaurus98 on Jun 14, 2014 at 10:41:39 am     #

Ha! Forgot the link...

posted by paulhem on Jun 14, 2014 at 10:48:59 am     #

I think that the bullshit factor for me is the claim that they aren't running a transportation company, hence avoiding regulation. If they aren't running a transportation company, and just providing a software app to connect like-minded providers and users, then someone might as well develop an app for connecting consenting adults, charge a 20% fee per consensual encounter, and claim they aren't a pimp.

The smartphone app may be a new way to operate a transportation service, but that's what it is. The vehicle for communicating between customers and the service provider has evolved with technology, not the fact that people are paying for a freaking car ride. Ordering a pizza from pizza hut on your smart phone doesn't make it social media rather than food service.

Use a smartphone app, send a smoke signal, call on the phone or send a letter. You are engaging the services of a transportation service subcontractor. Period.

If somebody develops an app to connect people with available third party persons willing to do medical procedures, they would still be practicing medicine.

posted by justread on Jun 14, 2014 at 11:56:37 am     #

justread, that seems correct to me. They have managed to integrate social throughout all of their efforts.

Maybe my job title got the best of me?
When all you have is a hammer... I get carried away with social media.

"Uber Rides Social Media Dominance to $17B Valuation"

"June 10 (Bloomberg) -- Misiek Piskorski, professor at Harvard Business School, examines the $17 billion valuation for Uber, how they’ve grown their brand via social media, and the problems Twitter faces in monetizing users. He speaks on Bloomberg Television’s “Bloomberg Surveillance.”"

posted by paulhem on Jun 14, 2014 at 12:37:07 pm     #

Great article from INC on Uber last year and how they handle the regulation challenge aspect.

posted by MrGlass419 on Jun 14, 2014 at 02:34:32 pm     #

So we have Uber and Lyft, what I really want is Zipcar.

www.zipcar.com

posted by MrGlass419 on Jun 14, 2014 at 02:36:28 pm     #

SAME! Zipcar would be great to have in the city!
I think the big issue we're going to find with a lot of these services, is the lack of population density makes them not super effective.

There is a reason toledo has only X amount of cab drivers, and in general the service is kind of shitty. There just isn't enough demand for higher expectations.

I'm really surprised Uber rolled out, without more drivers. To me, it would have made sense to spend a little money on research and training and roll out with 10 or more drivers, available at peak hours.

Checking out Uber on my phone right now, 4pm on a saturday, I have zero drivers to pick from even though when I logged in the app encouraged me to try out the new Toledo service for free if I entered a special code.

When I log in and use Chicago as my location, I can choose between uberX drivers, as well as Uber branded SUVs, town cars or even a regular taxi option.

For example:

Hopefully some of the taxi drivers in town will add this service, as it really is ultra convenient. I work full time out of Chicago during the week and we use it ALL the time. With parking as stupid expensive as it is in the windy city, if you can find a cheap spot it's actually more cost effective to Uber around all day than use your own car!

"If they aren't running a transportation company, and just providing a software app to connect like-minded providers and users, then someone might as well develop an app for connecting consenting adults, charge a 20% fee per consensual encounter, and claim they aren't a pimp."

I mean... I agree, but it's the world we now live in. And actually... those pimp apps already exist, and they are free! http://www.gotinder.com/ etc (there are a bunch of them I think)

posted by upso on Jun 14, 2014 at 04:12:45 pm     #

LOL. I should have guessed.
"Boober"

And if you need some weed it's:
"Doober"

Someone will come change your oil app:
"Luber"

posted by justread on Jun 14, 2014 at 04:31:41 pm     #

I love UBER in cities like NYC, Chicago and Vegas and decided to give it a try locally and go out with the promo. Turns out I couldn't use it because there were no drivers in my area and I live in the city limits. I'd hate to be someone that uses it to get to where they are going and being stranded getting back because there are no drivers in their area.

Hopefully more drivers sign up with uber. One reason I don't go out a lot in Toledo is I refuse to drive after drinking, my ride to the bar usually doesn't live near me and won't want to take me back home and as others have mentioned cabs are just awful in this city. If Uber starts having drivers all over the city I'd go out more.

Not sure how good zipcar would do in Toledo outside of having pickup/drop off spots by the colleges. Most people in Toledo have cars and the way this city is spread out it would be hard to get to a location walking. I like zipcars in bigger cities I fly to when I need a car to get to the burbs

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 14, 2014 at 07:37:24 pm     #

I could see a small amount downtown, as the population there keeps growing at a steady pace. Heck, if a grocery store ever opens downtown, and you live & work downtown a zipcar would be a great option for the occasional trip to home depot etc but yeah... I don't see a lot of demand.

posted by upso on Jun 14, 2014 at 08:32:39 pm     #

jamesteroh posted at 07:37:24 PM on Jun 14, 2014:

Lyft has a larger driver pool, especially on weekends!

posted by jbtaurus98 on Jun 14, 2014 at 09:17:21 pm     #

upso posted at 08:32:39 PM on Jun 14, 2014:

Home Depot?
New business idea.

Pyckup.

posted by justread on Jun 14, 2014 at 09:45:21 pm     #

No really. I have a pickup. I just need an app developer.
Think about it. Way more people have cars than trucks.
And you don't have to be drunk to need it. And you can charge more, I'll bet.

But we are not a trucking company, we are a social media app company. ;)
With trucks.

posted by justread on Jun 14, 2014 at 11:23:40 pm     #

This is interesting (considering the concerns raised here):

posted by oldhometown on Jun 18, 2014 at 07:00:03 pm     #

One of you app geeks needs to get on that Pyckup thing. I have the truck and I am ready to haul.
Start with a blight special. First load of blight $10.00 off.

posted by justread on Jun 18, 2014 at 07:16:45 pm     #

They will declare them unlicensed taxis and fine the drivers, you watch, we cant have people making money without forking over licensing fees and having chaufer licenses can we?

posted by MIJeff on Jun 18, 2014 at 09:28:58 pm     #

According to the Ohio DMV there is no special license for Taxi drivers or chauffeurs unless the vehicle is classified as a bus or designed to hold 16 or more passengers , however, there can be some local requirements to get a taxi license. So, there is no real safety issue (eg. drivers do not have to undergo any special training or certification). So I don't see any issue other than insurance liability, and that could be a huge issue if a passenger were to be hurt or killed, but the passengers would be at no more or less risk than with a conventional taxi.

posted by breeman on Jun 19, 2014 at 08:30:46 am     #

Insurance information for uber:

Lyft:

TL;DR you're covered for a lot of money if you're riding in a Lyft or Uber car.

posted by endcycle on Jun 19, 2014 at 10:56:38 am     #

yeah i was riding in an uber last night and asked the driver
he said his personal insurance covered him when he had no passengers but as soon as I got in the car Uber's insurance kicked in

posted by upso on Jun 19, 2014 at 11:49:32 am     #

This seems like a battle between smart people with fascinating new business ideas that many people enjoy versus the overregulation by imbecilic local governments.

posted by jr on Jun 19, 2014 at 11:59:41 am     #   1 person liked this

Uber's policy/policies if accurately stated, appear quite superior to Lyft's and I'm still not real comfortable with it.

"TL;DR you're covered for a lot of money if you're riding in a Lyft or Uber car"

Not necessarily. Even if their policies are accurately stated, let's say four passengers in an Uber vehicle sustain severe bodily injury that leaves one or all of them para or quadra-plegic (trust me, it happens), that $1,000,000 isn't going to go very far.

I'd be very curious to know how they would handle such a situation in a no-fault state like Michigan where there is no limit on PIP (personal injury protection) for the life of the injured.

Some of our carriers are still paying out on claims that occurred more than 20 years ago in Michigan. The payouts can easily reach multiple millions of dollars per person.

posted by Foodie on Jun 19, 2014 at 12:10:38 pm     #

Interesting point, Foodie- is there information about what kind of coverage yellow cabs have around? I'm a lot busier than I want at work right now so I can't research. :)

posted by endcycle on Jun 20, 2014 at 09:23:50 am     #

I used Uber last night for the first time in Toledo. It was pretty awesome... quick, no need to have cash on me, super convenient.

posted by toledolen_ on Sep 04, 2014 at 06:56:45 pm     #   3 people liked this

For another perspective, try LYFT next time, toledolen_. Your first ride is free with my code, JOHN9957. LYFT and Uber are great alternatives to a cab.

posted by jbtaurus98 on Sep 04, 2014 at 07:35:11 pm     #

I've been using both Uber & Lyft for months at least once per week (I never drink & drive). It's extremely efficient, all the drivers I've had either currently have professional day jobs or are retired from "real" jobs. The cars blow Black & White's away, the drivers don't smell, they're pleasant, prompt and polite. I haven't posted anything about it bcs I was being selfish. I'm afraid if "everyone" finds out, it will be hard to get a car. I've never waited more than 8 minutes and have given every driver a 5 star rating. This absolutely was covered by The Blade, starting in APRIL 2014:

February 2014:

posted by LoveToledo on Sep 04, 2014 at 09:11:16 pm     #

endcycle posted at 09:23:50 AM on Jun 20, 2014:

Sorry endcycle. I somehow missed this question previously. I do not have any info on the limits Yellow Cab Company carries.

posted by Foodie on Sep 05, 2014 at 09:02:41 am     #

toledolen: just curious, how much did it cost you?

posted by Anniecski on Sep 05, 2014 at 01:12:25 pm     #

From a bar on Adams, to my home in the Old West End, $5.03.

I was planning on drinking so I hitched a ride there with a friend and Uber'd home.

I don't know why anyone would risk driving tipsy when this is sooooo convenient. I scheduled the pick up, payed my bar tab, walked outside and the car was there. Boom.

posted by toledolen_ on Sep 05, 2014 at 02:43:39 pm     #