Keep your pets close

Just a heads up. Dogs are disappearing from yards. They seem to be heavy in the west end, but have been seen in Sylvania and Maumee. A burgundy bronco, a silver/white sedan and another vehicle have been slowly driving through neighborhoods. There have been reports of them being caught in the act of attempting to take dogs out of yards in the middle of the day. The breed doesn't seem to matter. To stay up to date, join Toledo Area Lost and Found Pets or Toledo Area Pets Social page on Facebook. And don't leave your pets outside alone.

created by bogeylola on Jun 15, 2014 at 08:53:29 pm     Comments: 32

Define "heavy."

Are the police involved?

Exactly how many pets have disappeared?

Are the vehicles "driving slowly" driving slowly enough to get a license plate?

If they have been "caught in the act" what exactly do they look like?

Forgive my apprehension, but when the drama far exceeds the evidence I am naturally suspicious.

Can we get a link to the descriptions of the three different vehicles and a link to the description of the people "caught in the act in the middle of the day?"

Or should we just panic because "dogs are disappearing?"

Hey Paul Hem, here's your tip. Dogs ARE DISAPPEARING!!!
The Blade should be all over this.

posted by justread on Jun 15, 2014 at 09:35:02 pm     #   1 person liked this

I heard about this a couple weeks ago.

May 14, 2014:

Residents in west Toledo say an alarming number of dogs are missing from their area. A majority of the reports have come in from around Willys Park.

The Facebook group Find Ford will be gathering Sunday May 18 with as many people as possible to figure out why these dogs are gone.

Ford went missing in December. He is the poster dog for all the others. Residents are wondering if the dogs are being stolen. Are they running away? Bell says they have a few ideas of what may be happening with the dogs.

"They're either being used for flipping which is where somebody will get the dog then resell it on Craigslist online, somewhere else, or if they're being used for dog fighting," said Bell.

Jun 2, 2014:

After an alarming amount of dogs have gone missing in west Toledo, now residents around Willys Parkway say they have seen an increase in suspicious cars traveling slowly through their neighborhoods. They say they fear their 4-legged friends could be next and wonder if the men in these cars are the ones responsible for these communities missing pets.

"They're looking back and forth. They'd see a dog in the yard and they'd stop," said dog activist Malysa Bell.

She believes these men are the same ones asking questions about dogs in the Willys Parkway area.

A maroon pickup truck has been seen not only near Willys Parkway, but Yarmouth Avenue as well. Both Bell and another resident say the men inside had their eyes on the dogs.

Sergeant Joe Heffernan with the Toledo Police Department says there have been no official police reports filed about the stolen dogs or the suspicious vehicles. Until there are reports, there is nothing police can do.

Heffernan also says the department is not aware of any dog fighting rings in the city but will follow any tips or leads that come into their department.

posted by jr on Jun 15, 2014 at 09:52:02 pm     #

I'm assuming you didn't bother to go to the page I suggested and instead get off on sounding like a self important jack ass. Mission accomplished. For anyone that has pets they care about, this has been going on for quite some time. Keep yourpets close and join the above recerenced page. Great group of people

posted by bogeylola on Jun 15, 2014 at 09:54:04 pm     #   5 people liked this

Jr thanks for the info:)

posted by bogeylola on Jun 15, 2014 at 10:20:47 pm     #

Thanks for the update

posted by dino on Jun 15, 2014 at 10:52:14 pm     #

Just a thought........any new Chinese restaurants in the neighborhood?

posted by shamrock44 on Jun 15, 2014 at 10:54:28 pm     #   1 person liked this

Nice job on the racism. "Shamrock".

posted by toledolen_ on Jun 16, 2014 at 12:33:12 am     #   2 people liked this

jr posted at 09:52:02 PM on Jun 15, 2014:

I heard about this a couple weeks ago.

May 14, 2014:

Jun 2, 2014:

Thanks. The suggested sites were worthless in trying to get a sense of what was known, and what was hysteria.

Maybe all the victims of the "Heavy" amount of missing dogs should actually file a report. It would be a nice start.

Meanwhile, how do you tell a "suspicious" vehicle on Willys Parkway? Have you been through there lately?

We have suspicious looking trucks every week. Just before the trash gets picked up.

posted by justread on Jun 16, 2014 at 06:54:19 am     #   3 people liked this

justread... Your obvious scan of the above mentioned pages doesn't do justice to the good group of people that connect through those pages. Why your being such a jerk is unclear to me. There is a problem in Toledo. Dogs are being stolen and used as bait dogs. You can hide your head in the sand as long as you want, but it's a reality. Go back a year and track the lost dogs then try to find the post where they're returned home. Not many. You will find one today. Gucci, a brindle pit, gone 3.5 months , just returned home today. All bitten up, apparently been fighting. Now I'm done talking to you. I started this post to warn people to watch their pets, don't leave them in your yards by themselves. Please ignore people like justread. We have a problem, lets protect our pets.

posted by bogeylola on Jun 16, 2014 at 08:55:25 am     #

I don't understand why not a single police report has been filed when such a high number of dogs have been stolen.

posted by dell_diva on Jun 16, 2014 at 09:06:06 am     #   7 people liked this

This is my biggest concern regarding the beautiful German Shepard pup that lives next door. She's just a few months old, would go with anybody and is left outside in their fenced in (but not locked) backyard while the morons piss away their days (both retired) at the local tavern. WTF is wrong with people?

posted by Foodie on Jun 16, 2014 at 09:23:32 am     #

bogeylola posted at 08:55:25 AM on Jun 16, 2014:

You've now called me a jack ass and a jerk. I've called you nothing.

Trust me, you don't want my attention. So far, I've asked questions, questions not answered by the (not links) internet group names of your groups but inspired by your hysteria. Because you don't like the questions, you call me names. At least jr provided us some real information.

So far, I'm letting you slide.

The folks in your group would have better luck if they get off facebook and called the police. Sounds like a hell of a lot of evidence, or rumor. The police can sort that all out better than hysterical amateurs.

posted by justread on Jun 16, 2014 at 09:28:50 am     #   10 people liked this

Foodie ... Say something to them, we're trying to spread awareness. A lot of people just don't know. Diva... As far as I know there actually have been a few police reports.

posted by bogeylola on Jun 16, 2014 at 10:30:47 am     #

They were spotted out last night on Wright St. between South Ave and Arlington. Went after a kid and his Pittie. Just a heads up if you live in the area.

posted by bogeylola on Jun 22, 2014 at 09:01:48 pm     #

Bogeylola, was a police report filed about an attempted abduction of a kid from last nights incident?

posted by apophistoledo on Jun 22, 2014 at 09:47:31 pm     #   2 people liked this

The police were called and told the family that an extra patrol would be sent out. They didn't attempt to take the kid, just his dog.

posted by bogeylola on Jun 23, 2014 at 09:49:10 am     #

"went after" may have been misleading.

posted by justread on Jun 23, 2014 at 09:51:59 am     #   4 people liked this

Black Impala spotted on Royalton driving slowly and "talking" to dogs. Not sure if police were called, they were advised to call them. Watch your pets if you live in the area.

posted by bogeylola on Jun 24, 2014 at 10:37:19 am     #

Wait, what if the Black Impala was telling the dogs to watch out for the Maroon truck?

posted by justread on Jun 24, 2014 at 10:58:24 am     #   3 people liked this

If it was this modified black Impala, I would not be worried if I were a dog owner:

posted by historymike on Jun 24, 2014 at 04:22:33 pm     #   1 person liked this

I started this post because I thought there were the some animal lovers on this site. I was wrong. I was just trying to warn people of a danger to their pets. But you win. Keep your heads in the sand and enjoy.

posted by bogeylola on Jun 24, 2014 at 05:41:54 pm     #

People love animals on this site. Maybe you are reading too much into posts. A little fun doesn't hurt dogs or prevent the word from spreading. In fact, the extra posts kept it at the top and more people likely saw it.
I personally understand why it is a bad thing for a family and for a dog if this is all connected and the worst is true. If anybody tried to steal my dog, I'd get in trouble.

posted by justread on Jun 24, 2014 at 05:48:52 pm     #   6 people liked this

posted by historymike on Jun 24, 2014 at 05:49:41 pm     #   5 people liked this

Thank you, Bogeylola for raising awareness about dogs going missing. As a long time animal lover, I appreciate it!

posted by bikerdude on Jun 24, 2014 at 10:48:37 pm     #

Bogey, it's definitely made me think twice about leaving my puppy in the yard. Thanks for the updates!

posted by Anniecski on Jun 25, 2014 at 10:26:34 am     #

Main Lady and I spoke about this subject when we were trying to teach Excellent Rachmaninoff to be a good dog while being walked. There were some rumors going around about people stealing dogs while the dogs were being walked. Two or three gang bangers would pull up in a black SUV and just unhook little Fluffy from his leash and steal him. What are you going to do?

Well, see, the thing was that Excellent Rachmaninoff was about the best dog anyone could ever have except he'd bite people. But only people he thought he should bite - never anyone who didn't deserve it. He couldn't be bribed with food, either. In fact, he wouldn't take food from strangers.

Of course if you had a dog that you were walking, he figured you were okay. The people down at the doggie day care thought he was a great dog and loved him.

So yeah. Go ahead and try stealing my dog. See what happens.

posted by madjack on Jun 25, 2014 at 07:28:56 pm     #

"So yeah. Go ahead and try stealing my dog. See what happens."

I agree with Madjack...simply put

posted by dino on Jun 25, 2014 at 10:51:59 pm     #

Thanks for the tip, Bogeylola! Gotta keep an eye on our pets when they go outside.

This type of thing is happening elsehwere, apparently:

There was also this post on ToledoTalk from February this year about a stolen pit bull from the area:

We never got an update, so I assume it was never found or returned. I know I would go crazy if my dog was stolen. I would always wonder if it was okay or whatever happened to it. I guess we'll see more of this kind of thing with the economy the way it is. It's pretty low, nonetheless, to steal someone's dog or cat to sell it for profit.

posted by renegade on Jun 25, 2014 at 10:59:31 pm     #

Some get stolen to sell for profit. Some get stolen for bad reasons. A fella found his pit in the same condition that Helen, the white pit Lucas County Pit Crew is fostering, after he was stolen from his back yard. Just this past week a guy had his beautiful pit taken out of his yard, he searched for him and found him being walked down Broadway by stranger. The lucky ones get found, most don't. And it is happening all over, it's really sad. My dogs don't go outside unless I'm with them.

posted by bogeylola on Jun 26, 2014 at 08:33:17 am     #

@bogeylola:

"My dogs don't go outside unless I'm with them"

Same here. Our little guy never goes outside the fence un-attended. And, we stand guard at the door when he makes his quick potty trips within the fenced yard.

He's not really a dog that needs to be walked - he's definitely a lap dog. But, on the rare occasion he gets walked, Mr. SigSauer .380 goes along.

posted by Foodie on Jun 26, 2014 at 08:53:57 am     #

Mr. SigSauer .380 goes along

What a nice friend to have.

posted by MrsArcher on Jun 26, 2014 at 09:13:53 am     #   1 person liked this

MrsArcher posted at 09:13:53 AM on Jun 26, 2014:

Mr. SigSauer .380 goes along

What a nice friend to have.

One of my best!