New El Camino north Summit

I see they are starting to work on the new El Camino at Merchant Landings on summit by the state line. I am looking forward to this opening soon, I almost stopped by and asked the worker when they going to open, but he looked busy and didn't want to bother him.

created by MIJeff on Jun 17, 2014 at 02:37:27 pm     Food     Comments: 21

Glad to hear of most any new business opening anywhere in Toledo but especially in the Point.

However, it will have to be a damn site better than the rest of their locations to attract my dollars.

posted by Foodie on Jun 17, 2014 at 03:00:23 pm     #

I think with the exit of 'Fritz's' from the area - there is a void to be filled for Mexican fair and a good Margarita. I am looking forward to this location opening.

posted by SJD on Jun 17, 2014 at 04:56:57 pm     #   1 person liked this

It is expected to open in early August

posted by 77mirage on Jun 17, 2014 at 06:49:13 pm     #

SJD posted at 04:56:57 PM on Jun 17, 2014:

Fritz & Alfredo's was probably one of the worst examples of "Mexican fare" this region had to offer. The food was lousy at best and the margaritas were nothing like their sister restaurants - Loma Linda or Ventura's. The place was a dark, dank, dirty hole in a crappy area. Good riddance.

El Camino wouldn't have far to go to beat what was offered at F&A. We'll give them a try once they open but we've never been fans of their other locations. I wish them well.

posted by Foodie on Jun 18, 2014 at 08:31:21 am     #   1 person liked this

Oy, Fritz and Alfredo's. For some reason, they relocated to the exact opposite end of town. How would you interpret that move? Has anyone been there yet (the new F&A)? I presume it's as awful as ever (Yelp thinks so).

posted by ahmahler on Jun 18, 2014 at 09:42:22 am     #

Foodie - I totally agree with your opinion of F&A food and margi's. Personally - I only went there if I had to. (invited for a birthday sort of thing) However, they did have a huge following in the Point/Shoreland area - there is a void that could be filled with a similar 'venue' let's say.

Look! another Mexican restaurant thread..!

posted by SJD on Jun 18, 2014 at 09:57:55 am     #

I've said it before and I'll say it again....
Fritz & ALfredo's is the absolute worst restaurant in the city of Toledo.

posted by upso on Jun 18, 2014 at 10:18:13 am     #   5 people liked this

Point Place needs something, had a horrible experience at the River Café on Edgewater (technically Erie) last night. A nearly three hour miserable adventure. Very disappointing because I really like that place.

posted by Hoops on Jun 18, 2014 at 10:42:10 am     #

Oh bummer. Me too! What happened?

posted by upso on Jun 18, 2014 at 11:06:47 am     #

Anybody else suspicious that MIJeff is really a plant from the Blade, here to start another Mexican restaurant thread to divert attention from the blight thread?

posted by dell_diva on Jun 18, 2014 at 11:17:41 am     #   3 people liked this

River Cafe is for cocktails.... and Webers is for food.
That's our rule of thumb.

posted by SJD on Jun 18, 2014 at 11:23:16 am     #

I hear from friends who were fans of the old F&A that the new one is better. They admit the food was never that good at the old place but they had been going there for years and hated to see it go. We were there during the last 2 weeks and one of the waitresses gave my one friend, whose mom died 2 years ago, an angel from their wall that her mom had always liked. I thought that was cool. They have been to the new place twice and were surprised that it was better, they expected it to at least be the same, lol.

posted by nana on Jun 18, 2014 at 11:51:33 am     #

SJD posted at 11:23:16 AM on Jun 18, 2014:

River Cafe is for cocktails.... and Webers is for food.
That's our rule of thumb.

huh. i've always liked the food at the River Cafe

posted by upso on Jun 18, 2014 at 01:00:07 pm     #

River Café was not that crowded, drink order taken within 5 minutes. WARM beers brought out 20 minutes later. Appetizer ordered after one hour, certain shrimp appetizers were not available, etc. Took 40 minutes to get ice water for our table. Eventually the food was good, but service unacceptable. Other tables in our area were also frustrated. Server said he had been working there about a month. My first bad experience there!

posted by Hoops on Jun 18, 2014 at 01:35:43 pm     #

At least you didn't get food poisoning there Hoops, bad service can be corrected, lousy food takes a whole lot to fix.

posted by MIJeff on Jun 18, 2014 at 01:49:48 pm     #

Unless you count delivering papers in the neighborhood about 38 years ago, I have never worked for the blade. I live within walking distance of Merchant Landing, I walked past it today and they are working on the inside of the building, rumor has 1.5 months till they open. I have been to a couple El Camino's they weren't bad as far as I can remember.

posted by MIJeff on Jun 18, 2014 at 01:53:26 pm     #

I like the idea of the new El Camino going in at merchants landing but am I the only person to see that EVERYTHING in that area dies. Empty car wash , empty kroger and other empty buildings for years,and rudys hot has struggled for years.But all said I am pulling for you Jesus [owner].

posted by moxie on Jun 18, 2014 at 07:41:40 pm     #

Car wash is up and running, kroger is now a warehouse for new owners, AB american builders, dance studio upstairs in middle. Hall is open for business, West Marine still there, cigarette shop still open. The child care thing is back open. It is coming back to life in there, they were working on one of the flower beds when i walked by, cleaning out a ton of dead stumps and plants. They just need to get some traffic flowing in there again, it died when Kroger left and forced Bush to not be able to rent their portion out for over 5 years.

posted by MIJeff on Jun 18, 2014 at 09:32:49 pm     #

I was sad when the Family Affair had to move for the Rite Aid and then couldn't make it at the Landing. My grandfolks lived on 296th and that restaurant extended my grandmas usable like by being close enough for her to walk and keep her knees moving. She was there every day for years. She never saw they had to move, she was gone by then, but they were good friends for a long time. Sad they couldn't keep going.

posted by nana on Jun 18, 2014 at 10:46:50 pm     #

Sort of related-I decided to check out Kathy's Confections at the new antique and craft mall. I ordered a coffee and a couple of pastries, one of which was too rich for my taste but I couldn't help noticing how unattractive the whole idea is. I'm sitting at a table in a large room surrounded by a half a dozen tables attended by people trying to sell their wares. Since there was nobody buying anything, I felt like I was on display myself. It wasn't the cozy, coffee-shop atmosphere which I had been expecting. I sat there wondering, "Who in their right mind who buy cheap-ass Chinese crap or nail art or produce sitting out at room temperature?" I would like to check out more of Kathy's baked items but I will do a takeout.

posted by inga on Jun 18, 2014 at 10:56:23 pm     #

MIJeff,Let just say over the last 10 years there has been a lot of empty buildings and yes no traffic.

posted by moxie on Jun 19, 2014 at 04:21:32 am     #