So Sweet Lebanese and French Pastries

Stopped here yesterday am prior to heading out to Crosby. In an overused word of the day: "Awesome."

The selection is far better than I'd have expected. While we didn't try any of the French pastries - though they looked amazing and we were full from breakfast - the Lebanese items we purchased were top shelf tasty.

Just before we left, the "baker" - an old school Lebanese (?) woman brought out some fresh baked spinach pies that we couldn't resist. They were also among the best we've ever had. They had a distinct lemon/spice flavor that was just right for our taste buds.

If you're a fan of this type of pastry, do yourself a favor and give them a try.

As an added bonus, the place was spotless.

created by Foodie on Jun 29, 2014 at 10:58:51 am     Comments: 7

source      versions      1 person liked this

Agreed. Top notch operation.

posted by upso on Jun 29, 2014 at 11:23:12 am     #

If you liked this place, you absolutely MUST make a drive to Dearborn and go to Shatila Bakery. Take what you saw at So Sweet and multiply it by five and you will get an idea of how amazing Shatila is:

posted by historymike on Jun 29, 2014 at 11:30:43 am     #

^^ Very true. And, when you make that trip, be sure to head a bit more east on Warren Ave. to New Yasmeen Bakery. Not nearly the selection of sweets but very large selection of ready to cook and ready to eat Middle Eastern foods. Meat pies, hummus, shish-kabob, stuffed grape leaves, tabouleh.......the selection is nearly endless. And, IMHO, the best pita in this region - baked fresh every day. They also have quite a selection of Middle Eastern grocery items.

posted by Foodie on Jun 29, 2014 at 02:20:11 pm     #

Yes, that stretch of Warren is pretty amazing, Foodie. Lots of great restaurants, bakeries, and small grocers. Cedarland Restaurant is another excellent place to eat: not especially exciting looking on the outside, but the food is phenomenal and the portion sizes are so large that you will have the next meal covered with the leftovers.

posted by historymike on Jun 29, 2014 at 02:52:30 pm     #

Thanks for the link Foodie, I never heard of the place and will definitely check it out next time I'm by the mall since I love French pastries.

The farmer's market on Saturday in Ann Arbor across the street from Zingerman's has a couple vendors that have amazing pastries that are better than even Zingerman's. There is one that has crossiants that are as good as the ones I have had in paris

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 29, 2014 at 07:12:44 pm     #

We tried So Sweet for the first time last week and I loved it. I can't resist a bird's nest Lebanese pastry, and the pastry they had with custard and pistachios is a new favorite.

My waistline wishes it was farther away from my house, but my tastebuds are quite content.

posted by Anniecski on Jun 30, 2014 at 09:32:32 am     #

I had a few treats from there a couple of weeks ago. Awesome is a good description.

posted by Erin on Jul 01, 2014 at 06:57:37 pm     #