Digital TV tuner box

So I was dinking around on the back of the tv in the bedroom and accidentally broke off the coax connection to the tuner. Aaargh! I have Directv right now but am thinking of dropping that and just going with netflix, hulu plus, amazon prime, etc. However, to get over the air channels, I need the antenna. Without the coax connection, it seems I am SOL. Is there any type of box that can convert the antenna signal to a HDMI signal that I can plug into the HDMI port on the tv? I have done some googling and it appears there is but I am not quite sure if the ones I am looking at are right for my needs. Here is a link to one I think will work:

Thanks in advance for all the TT help in the past and now!

created by daddyg on Jun 30, 2014 at 11:14:05 am     Technology     Comments: 11

>one I think will work<
IMHO, Yes

Are you sure you broke the female input and not the male fitting on the end of the coax coming from the DTV Receiver? If it's the regular input, can you open the back and solder in an appropriate fitting purchased from Radio Shack?

posted by Trilby on Jun 30, 2014 at 12:53:34 pm     #

I broke the male fitting. I bought a new one at Radio Shack but the fitting is broke off right at the base. Not being a soldering type of guy, I wasn't sure it could be fixed.

posted by daddyg on Jun 30, 2014 at 02:25:17 pm     #

If the male is broken, you should be able to grab it with a needle nose and unscrew the remaining portion off of the female that is part of the TV.

posted by Trilby on Jun 30, 2014 at 02:55:41 pm     #

Think it would matter if what you call male and what he calls male is the same thing, sometime people get it wrong on which is which.

posted by MIJeff on Jun 30, 2014 at 11:02:46 pm     #

MIJeff posted at 11:02:46 PM on Jun 30, 2014:

Middle of connector determines gender.
Male is at the end of the cable. The center conductor is "maleish". The connector on the TV has a hole at the center. It is "femalish".

posted by Trilby on Jul 01, 2014 at 08:11:34 am     #

So then it's the female fitting connected to the tv itself. It has broken off right at the base.

posted by daddyg on Jul 01, 2014 at 08:28:42 am     #

Yeah you would have to take at least part of the case apart to get at that.

posted by MIJeff on Jul 01, 2014 at 12:54:44 pm     #

If you are able to get at it, it is either soldered to a board just inside the case or mounted on the case with a wire/cable feeding it from the inside. You should be able to get a replacement fitting, but, you will probably have to find it on the internet at an electronics site.

Your HDMI solution will also work as long as you don't need that connection to connect to your computer to catch up on shows you missed (unless you have dual HDMI ports).

posted by Trilby on Jul 02, 2014 at 07:55:44 am     #

An HD Homerun might be a good option for you.

posted by _scott on Jul 07, 2014 at 06:54:00 pm     #

Thanks Scott! Another option I'll have to look into.

posted by daddyg on Jul 08, 2014 at 08:36:35 am     #

Scott! Thanks for that comment. That looks like the way to roll.

posted by paulhem on Jul 08, 2014 at 09:18:46 am     #