Why did you cancel The Blade?

I had to snicker when I heard that The Blade had featured an article in the last few days concerning a similarity between Tom Noe’s legal issues and a campaign fraud case involving a person who is “right wing.” It was probably about ten years ago that I cancelled The Blade because of the Tom Noe issue and The Blade's obvious political preferences. Someone with a little more computer savvy then I could probably do an analysis on how much attention the Tom Noe situation received from the Blade over a two year span. Poor decisions that were rightfully uncovered? Certainly, but it became very apparent, even to the less politically savvy that there was some other issues at stake - a personal vendetta perhaps. I am guessing Noe received more coverage then Bin Laden and Hitler combined (seriously). I remember as the front page coverage stretched on and on I finally decided if this continues a week longer I would cancel my subscription and I did. Because my in-laws still got The Blade at the time I remember noticing that even three months later The Blade was still attacking Noe on the front page. That’s the reason I cancelled. Anyone else have a cancellation story?

created by Danneskjold on Jul 04, 2014 at 06:49:56 pm     Comments: 56

I don't like newspaper ink on my fingers.

posted by toledolen_ on Jul 04, 2014 at 08:25:10 pm     #

I cancelled the Blade several years ago when it came out strongly against unions and public employees.

posted by ilovetoledo on Jul 04, 2014 at 10:40:25 pm     #   1 person liked this

Thats funny the only unions or employees the Blade doesn't like are their own when negotiation time comes around, the rest of the time they support them fine even to the detriment of everyone else.

posted by MIJeff on Jul 04, 2014 at 11:32:38 pm     #   5 people liked this

...to the detriment of who, exactly?

The Blocks are somewhat savvy. They aren't poker-faced enough to pretend like they enjoy dealing with unions themselves; but they are at least smart enough to appreciate the backlash they might recieve if they took up an anti-union mantle on a consistent basis...

I'm with ilovetoledo...I cancelled back in '07 when they locked out their workers...I never went back.

posted by Sohio on Jul 05, 2014 at 08:23:43 am     #

Yeah makes sense the Noe case would make you cancel. How dare they uncover a local story about someone stealing our tax dollars.

posted by MrGlass419 on Jul 05, 2014 at 10:31:50 am     #   5 people liked this

Think it was more about the length (about 3 months, with occasional mention up to 3 years later) of the coverage, not really the fact he was a crook.

posted by MIJeff on Jul 05, 2014 at 10:51:23 am     #   3 people liked this

MIJeff posted at 10:51:23 AM on Jul 05, 2014:

Bingo.

It was getting to be creepy. Same with their obsession over the old courthouse.

I glance at the Blade's website maybe once or twice a week. I stay current on my news more via social media than anything else.

posted by dell_diva on Jul 05, 2014 at 10:56:48 am     #   3 people liked this

Yeah I found it creepy a year later when they wrote about Bernadette in a million dollar Florida home supported by taxpayer dollars. How dare they not let her live in peace with money taken out of our paychecks.

If that is the definition of creepy journalism, I'm all for it.

posted by MrGlass419 on Jul 05, 2014 at 05:00:10 pm     #   2 people liked this

I guess you do want 4 months of headline stories about blight in Toledo then?

posted by MIJeff on Jul 05, 2014 at 06:39:30 pm     #   1 person liked this

MIJeff posted at 06:39:30 PM on Jul 05, 2014:

I guess you do want 4 months of headline stories about blight in Toledo then?

I say, bring it. Readers can choose to ignore the stories of no interest to them.

posted by jr on Jul 05, 2014 at 07:51:30 pm     #

I cancelled years ago when it was obvious that it was cheaper to receive news electronically.

I revisit that decision now and again. Some thoughts:

a.) Most TV stations cover the same news and their websites are free and will likely remain so.

b.) Empirically, the Blade is a heavily pro-establishment entity--heavily invested in the current power structure. I have no desire to support it, nor its publisher(s), as they support a government structure that has left Toledo in the ditch.

c.) Comments from employees on chat boards demonstrate a disdain for anyone who dares call into question the reporting, editorializing, or double-standards (most recently: EconCat88 pointing out blight bad, Blade asking readers to point out blight good). You know, any opinion other than "hot dog, the Blade is the best thing to happen Toledo and thank you for winning a Pulitzer" means that I (the customer) am unreasonable.

That's why I don't go back. Cue the entity blaming the customer for not wanting the product, cuz goddammit it's so good.

I do have online subscriptions to 2 other papers. Not this one.

posted by oldhometown on Jul 06, 2014 at 12:38:10 am     #   1 person liked this

MrGlass419 posted at 05:00:10 PM on Jul 05, 2014:

If that is the definition of creepy journalism, I'm all for it.

If you can't separate the need for the story with the unnecessary and painfully over-the-top obsession that we got instead, perhaps you share that obsession.

Kind of seems like it.

posted by justread on Jul 06, 2014 at 07:41:02 am     #   6 people liked this

For a paper no one seems to get after canceling subscriptions years ago, we seem to spend an awful lot talking about them.

posted by SensorG on Jul 06, 2014 at 11:31:42 am     #   5 people liked this

Justread - I share their obsession? This threads purpose in its entirety is the continuance of an obsession.

"Painfully over-the-top obsession we get instead"

Now all we need is Paul to chime in an you and him can call each other names for the next hundred posts.

posted by MrGlass419 on Jul 06, 2014 at 11:55:45 am     #   6 people liked this

"Perhaps..."

Maybe I misread. There seemed to be a lil Noe thing going on for you. Own it or not, as amuses you.

As for me, an entire Blade cancellation thread was humming along, and my contribution was two sentences.

Dam now it's like 8.

posted by justread on Jul 06, 2014 at 01:30:35 pm     #

As I stated in my initial note Noe's illegal actions certainly deserved attention, however, had it been a Democrat tied to the Gore-Lieberman campaign it would not have received the insane amount of lasting coverage The Blade has given it. Doubters can debate that point but there is no doubt in my mind that this is a personal and political vendetta.

That's why I cancelled The Blade and that's what this threads topic is about. I know there are Blade eyes on these threads and I think, right or wrong, it's important for them to know why there are so many people in this town that do not find them credible, balanced or reflective of this ENTIRE city. Many people I talk to have cancelled The Blade and other related Block products such as Buckeye Cable for the same reason.

It's certainly their format to use as they please and competition dictates that if there is another differing opinion out there then any person(s) who wish to invest in promoting that opinion have that option. On the other hand as someone mentioned above - The Blade generates a lot of discussion. If they would drop their petty antics and spend a little more time discussing the rationality of both sides of many issues I think many people would be drawn back to their product.

posted by Danneskjold on Jul 06, 2014 at 04:20:16 pm     #   1 person liked this

SensorG posted at 11:31:42 AM on Jul 06, 2014:

I think a majority of news-following people would love to have an objective, fair, and balanced "truth-to-power" newspaper. An institution they feel is fighting to get to the bottom of the really apparent bullshit that goes on within party politics, local business, and Government Center, no matter the party or "friendliness between those covered and those writing the stories.

Instead, we get blatently apparent hit pieces, double standards, and obsessions with certain stories (and only particular angles of those certain stories). When this is pointed out, the response is akin to <fingers in the ears> "NAAAA NAAAA CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! NAAA NAAA PULITZER PRIZE!!! NAAAA NAAAA WE WORK REALLY HARD!!!"

Talk is cheap. I voted with my dollars years ago.

posted by oldhometown on Jul 06, 2014 at 04:40:25 pm     #   3 people liked this

For what it is worth, a commercial banker recently told me that it was southwyck. Anderson's hq could revitalize that whole area and there could be lots of parking as well

posted by Dappling2 on Jul 06, 2014 at 09:55:38 pm     #   1 person liked this

Sorry. Wrong topic!

posted by Dappling2 on Jul 06, 2014 at 09:56:24 pm     #   1 person liked this

MrGlass419 posted at 11:55:45 AM on Jul 06, 2014:

"Painfully over-the-top obsession we get instead"

Going, going...gone.

posted by McCaskey on Jul 07, 2014 at 10:48:06 am     #   3 people liked this

I don't get the Blade any more because there's just so little real news in it. There's no point in paying someone to deliver a whole bunch of ads to me with so little news scattered between them that even the Sunday paper takes me less than 7 minutes to look through.

posted by hippiechick on Jul 07, 2014 at 11:21:36 am     #   1 person liked this

Probably only reasons we get the blade still is coupons, obits, crossword and sodoku, the rest of the news is duplicated on channel 11 or 13, the opinions page might as well be the talking points page for the DNC, there is very little in regards to a balanced output of all facts in the whole paper. Basically we get the paper still for coupons and obits.

posted by MIJeff on Jul 07, 2014 at 11:43:19 am     #

I refuse to spend money on an entity that insults me, and my personal beliefs, on a routine basis.

posted by Wulf on Jul 07, 2014 at 02:42:32 pm     #   1 person liked this

posted by SensorG on Jul 06, 2014 at 11:31:42 am # 4 people liked this

As one of The Blade's editors told me recently, "You may not like us, but you can't ignore us."

posted by paulhem on Jul 07, 2014 at 03:20:58 pm     #

But, we don't have to pay them, either

posted by Wulf on Jul 07, 2014 at 03:32:47 pm     #   2 people liked this

No one paying = no more blade

posted by MIJeff on Jul 07, 2014 at 04:27:15 pm     #

"News is what somebody somewhere wants to suppress; all the rest is advertising."

Lord Northcliffe, British publisher 1865-1922

posted by paulhem on Jul 07, 2014 at 05:55:00 pm     #

"

No one paying = no more blade

! posted by MIJeff on Jul 07, 2014 at 04:27:15 pm # + "

Oh, NO! Not that!

posted by Wulf on Jul 07, 2014 at 06:44:29 pm     #

paulhem wrote on Jul 7, 2014:

Would that be one of the journos who would like to see this site go away?

paulhem wrote on Jun 22, 2014:

A lot (not all) of the journos at The Blade hate that I post here. Frankly, they feel that this site would just go away and that - don't hit me for this - I give the site more credibility by even recognizing that it exists. One of two actually were angry about it.

Tech tip of the day: Install a browser that permits entry of other URLs.

Curious about this part: "... they feel that this site would just go away."

Was that sentiment expressed mainly by journos over the age of 40, or did some 20-somethings also express that wish?

The obvious question, however, is "Why?" would they want a tiny message board to go away?

It's fascinating that people who work for an org that's part of the freedom of press would like to see other voices squashed. Actually, it's disturbing. And hilarious.

That's why I asked the ageist question because it sounds like the opinions of "old" journalists from the print era.

The web eliminated the gatekeepers of information, and I know that bothers many in the media biz, so I assume that the angry journos would like to see the entire web go away, correct? Or at least the web that's beyond their control should disappear.

posted by jr on Jul 07, 2014 at 06:48:41 pm     #   8 people liked this

jr:

I have to exercise my rights under the 5th Amendment.

I think that the argument was used to try to get me to stop posting here. Something with which more than one TTer would agree.

Whether the person actually believes it?

Hey! Don 't shoot I'm just the piano player!

posted by paulhem on Jul 07, 2014 at 07:02:15 pm     #

Most journalists , feel that no one should "like" them.

Generally, they are not participating in the news biz to follow Dale Carnegie's book.

Many feel like they are like the doctor who gives you bad-tasting medicine. It dies taste bad, but it's good for you.

posted by paulhem on Jul 07, 2014 at 07:09:13 pm     #

I've never heard a journalist at the Blade say they wish Toledo Talk would go away. Most don't read and don't care. The ones that do read obviously see a value.

posted by Nolan_Rosenkrans on Jul 07, 2014 at 07:41:51 pm     #   5 people liked this

The Blade doesn't offer anything that I can't get for free in a more timely manner from other local sources on the internet except their editorials (and I don't really care about their opinions).

posted by Mike21 on Jul 07, 2014 at 08:04:57 pm     #   2 people liked this

Nolan_Rosenkrans posted at 07:41:51 PM on Jul 07, 2014:

Doesn't surprise me. Paul's full of shit.

posted by dell_diva on Jul 07, 2014 at 08:45:42 pm     #   5 people liked this

First. No one said that they hoped toledotalk.com would go away. I was told that by posting here that I was giving the site more credibility and that it would probably disappear if we just ignored it.

Keep in mind that I worked in the newsroom for 15 years. Several years as a Web editor.

posted by paulhem on Jul 07, 2014 at 09:35:40 pm     #

dell_diva: You can believe whatever you want. I could care less what you think.

posted by paulhem on Jul 07, 2014 at 09:37:51 pm     #

I'm glad that we resolved the issue whatever the issue was.

I now present you with ants commandeering an Apple Jack.

-30-

posted by jr on Jul 07, 2014 at 10:39:57 pm     #

Paul is correct. He never said Blade reporters would like the site (TT) to go away.

He clearly said there were those who thought it would just go away, as in dwindling interest reflected in clicks and eyeballs.

posted by McCaskey on Jul 07, 2014 at 11:05:47 pm     #   1 person liked this

McCaskey: "What's right is right, and the word-twisting is something the local daily-haters would accuse it of doing in a blink if given the opportunity."

You're comparing the Toledo Blade and Toledo Talk. Do you understand the difference between a for-profit media org with layers of editorial bureaucracy that holds private meetings with local politicians and a hobby message board that costs $12 per month to operate?

Nolan: "Most don't read and don't care."

Paul: "... it would probably disappear if we just ignored it."

Paul: "I give the site more credibility by even recognizing that it exists. One of two actually were angry about it."

Clear as mud.

This site stops accepting new contributions when I lose interest in it and not because some thing chooses to ignore it. In the past year, I've created several other websites/web apps that garner more time from me than Toledo Talk. Tastes change. You can infer the obvious from that. I doubt the site will last long enough to see Opal Covey elected mayor of Toledo in 2017.

posted by jr on Jul 08, 2014 at 01:37:26 am     #   3 people liked this

paulhem posted at 03:20:58 PM on Jul 07, 2014:

posted by SensorG on Jul 06, 2014 at 11:31:42 am # 4 people liked this

Great. That should be their new masthead. You should be so proud.

posted by Foodie on Jul 08, 2014 at 06:11:57 am     #   5 people liked this

You're comparing the Toledo Blade and Toledo Talk.

jr: I believe McCaskey was referring to individuals, not TT as a whole.

Also, please remember that I qualified my statement by saying I spent 15 years in the newsroom. That means any negative feelings could have been expressed a long time ago when the Internet and message boards were not on many individual's radar.

I haven't worked in the newsroom for the past 4 years. Therefore Nolan's comment is more accurate regarding what's happening now. I interpreted Nolan's comment as a positive for Toledo Talk.

Also, this thread started out as interesting. However, it didn't take long for the conversation to turn into another long rant about The Blade.

My point is and continues to be that real journalism should upset people and drive discussions. Therefore, many of the comments on this thread are no different than some phone calls and emails reporters and editors receive.

What does frustrate someone interested in listening to unhappy members of The Blade's audience is that some comments like "signing editorials," originate from those who are deliberately misleading people.

"Originate," means that many of those repeating the deliberate misinformation are not the originators.

As I mentioned many times, I comment here to provide those who stumble onto TT another viewpoint.

posted by paulhem on Jul 08, 2014 at 07:05:40 am     #

The only good thing about the Blade is that I cancelled my subscription due to an enormous rate hike and they continue to deliver it to my house.

posted by Hoops on Jul 08, 2014 at 08:37:22 am     #   5 people liked this

jr posted at 01:37:26 AM on Jul 08, 2014:

Nolan: "Most don't read and don't care."

Paul: "... it would probably disappear if we just ignored it."

Clear as mud.

He did not say what you wrongly inferred that he said.

I don't care what shade of green your comment eventually turns.

A simple mistake was made, not one requiring a 20-page apology letter or trip to the confessional box.

Nobody is wishing TT to 'go away', because where else can we get free entertainment like this?

And that thought process probably applies to most of those at the local daily.

posted by McCaskey on Jul 08, 2014 at 09:59:31 am     #

Wonder how many share this opinion of what i guess you would call hobby journalism?

posted by MIJeff on Jul 08, 2014 at 10:40:58 am     #

We cancelled over the lack of loyalty to their employees. The news was not that great, the tipping point was how their employees were treated repeatedly.

posted by OhioKimono on Jul 10, 2014 at 11:16:27 pm     #

I canceled The Blade when it became thinner than the toilet paper I used.

posted by tgarvin on Jul 15, 2014 at 02:33:22 pm     #

Thats some pretty nasty toilet paper then Tgarvin, while I will agree that the paper is shrunken, thin and tissue like, its too expensive to wipe my butt with at a 1.00 for the daily, only worse paper around would be Monroe Evening News.

posted by MIJeff on Jul 15, 2014 at 02:49:02 pm     #

I stopped getting the Blade when it got, as Tgarvin said, incredibly thin.

I know there is a fine balance to be had, but I feel the Blade has gotten far too concise in what it reports in all newspheres, local, regional, state, national and world.

It does sometimes get some interesting info about what is coming/going/building around town, but most of that gets posted here anyway soooo...

posted by WillWorkForWork on Jul 15, 2014 at 08:44:36 pm     #

Warning to the community from the Blade:

If you DARE to support Tom Noe, we will out you on the front page and mention where you work.

posted by justread on Aug 17, 2015 at 08:18:21 am     #

I still have my blade subscription but only for the coupons and daily Sodoku. They try to charge me an absurd renewal fee every year, and each time I call to cancel it they give me my previous years rate which more than pays for the coupon savings. About the only part of the paper I read is the editorial/opinion page, comics/sodoku and sometimes the food editor page. Rest normally goes to recycling without being read.

I did cancel the two major supporters of the Blade though. I cancelled my Buckeye wifi a couple months ago and went to AT&T when they had the big rate increase and cancelled cable and went to Direct a few years ago over the same reason.

If it wasn't for the cable monopoly that paper would have folded a long time ago

posted by jamesteroh on Aug 17, 2015 at 12:05:44 pm     #

I get tired of the Blade running the same headlines day after day. For a while it was the Seneca County courthouse (even though Tiffin has their own paper and the majority of their readership doesn't care about Seneca County), all the stories about dogs.

posted by jamesteroh on Aug 17, 2015 at 12:09:00 pm     #

I'll never cancel.

How else could I keep up on what Tom Noe is doing.

Normal media outlets wouldn't grind an axe like The Toledo Blade so I wouldn't be able to find out if bought menthol filtered cigarettes at the prison PX or if his book is overdue from the prison library.

These things are important!

posted by shamrock44 on Aug 17, 2015 at 01:15:51 pm     #   1 person liked this

justread posted at 08:18:21 AM on Aug 17, 2015:

Warning to the community from the Blade:

I don't know anything about a "front page," but I found the stories through the Blade's local news RSS feed.

Actually, I enjoyed the Blade stories on Sunday about that crook Noe.

The story about Noe's allies was enlightening. Dock Treece looks silly with his Noe support.

Dock Treece, president of Treece Investment Advisory Corp., wrote on corporate letterhead that he had spoken privately with then gubernatorial candidate Kasich on Noe’s behalf after a health-care-related meeting in 2010.

“I stated at the time and I still hold the position that Tom Noe was convicted with the aid of a vengeful judge [Tom had run several candidates against him] and a vindictive newspaper editor [Tom was a successful Republican Chairman often in opposition of the will of the paper],” he wrote.

I assume that Treece was referring to the Blade and/or a Blade editor with his "vindictive" crack.

How are FACTS vindictive? Is Treece angry because Noe and his clan got caught?

More Treece silly-speak: "Tom Noe was convicted with the aid of a vengeful judge ..."

Noe caused Noe's predicament, not a judge nor a newspaper.

Vengeful judge? Tough luck. Too bad.

Noe played the political game well, which meant breaking the law. And one of the risks he took when he played the game was getting busted and facing a judge that Noe opposed politically.

No sympathy from me. I hope that the Blade keeps it up.

Noe was found guilty of stealing millions and using the cash to erase debts and buy and furnish million-dollar homes.

You can't be a willing participant in the illegal aspects of the political game, and then complain about the rules later when things go bad for you.

And this type of thinking is infantile:

Joseph Deters, prosecutor in Hamilton County, said of Noe’s defense, “He couldn’t have handled it worse.”

Mr. Deters and Mr. Kerger said Noe’s 18-year prison term is excessive. “I have murderers and rapists who do less time than this,” Mr. Deters said.

Murders and rapists do less time, eh? Relevance to Noe? None. If you don't like it, then be an activist and work to change the system

Noe has served only 7 years of an 18-year sentence.

Noe was convicted of 29 charges, 25 of which were felonies, including a mandatory 10-year sentence for a RICO-related felony. He also was convicted on four misdemeanors.

Noe needs to serve at least three more years.

----------------------------

Here's another informative Blade story that was published on Sun, Aug 16, 2015.

The algal-produced microcystin levels in Lake Erie near Toledo’s drinking water intake crib have for years been much higher than the relatively small levels found so far this year.

The city began testing for microcystin in 2011

... a review of five years of test results shows ...

Higher raw water levels and some tap water detections [of microcystin] in the past went largely unnoticed by the public.

We drank microcystin via our tap water in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014.

Can we panic retroactively?

----------------------------

Mon, Aug 17, 2015 - Toledo Blade - Lucas Co. boosts pay up to 20 percent - "High-level administrators get big raises; others receive 1.5 percent"

In the months after the countywide sales tax was bolstered by a half percent, the Lucas County commissioners distributed across-the-board pay increases to employees in the sheriff's, treasurer’s, and other offices and boosted the salaries of some of the county’s highest-paid administrators.

Top-scale administrators receiving more pay included Julie Lyle, the canine care and control director, whose annual salary increased 20 percent.

The additional pay was granted despite commissioners’ concerns that finances were so dire that they took $10.4 million from reserves to balance this year’s budget.

It's good to be the king.

Jan 20, 2015 Blade story titled Lucas County Commissioners unanimously approve increase in sales tax

The commissioners say the sales tax increase is needed to pay for county services and programs and make improvements to technology and buildings. The county also wants to build a jail to replace the aging and inefficient facility on Spielbusch Avenue.

posted by jr on Aug 17, 2015 at 01:43:28 pm     #

posted by justareviewer on Aug 17, 2015 at 04:08:43 pm     #

I doubt the site will last long enough to see Opal Covey elected mayor of Toledo in 2017. bq.command

Whoa! Slow down, tap the brakes a bit. Odd that this quote comes up in this thread. My starting point for news and entertainment is here. Let's at least wait at least until you can illustrate why Opal will win her second term due to astronomically abysmal voter turnout. Seriously...I like the site. Stay.

posted by Solleks on Aug 17, 2015 at 11:09:06 pm     #

Kept the paper since I liked the feel of it and the morning read. I work in IT so I live in the digital realm. So having pulp books/newspaper gives me a real life aesthetic feel I need.

But why I cancelled, I moved out of state.

Funny thing, just today I received a call "We need to update your billing information because your papers are being unclaimed".

Um, I no longer live there and cancelled almost 2 months ago? Sigh.

posted by INeedCoffee on Aug 18, 2015 at 04:48:41 am     #