How can I get a law passed in Toledo?

I would like to get a law passed in the City of Toledo, that makes it legal if you see a child/adult/animal left inside a hot car, you can break the window to save them. So that one is not liable for criminal damage. I read a law similar to this was just passed in TN. Can anyone help me where my first step should be?

created by ToledoLatina on Jul 06, 2014 at 02:22:33 am     Legal     Comments: 12

I would talk to one of the council members who is reasonable and gives a damn (Waneiwski comes to mind).

posted by oldhometown on Jul 06, 2014 at 06:37:17 am     #

Fergit about it. A great deal of time, expense, and training is provided for those who are in uniform and wear badges. They are there for their sound judgement in difficult situations and not to rush into the ring every time they hear a bell. Under stressful conditions appearances can be deceiving. Call a cop and leave it in their hands. An overwhelming imminent life threatening scenario is another matter. There are times when a louisville slugger is the only answer.

posted by Mariner on Jul 06, 2014 at 06:40:06 am     #   5 people liked this

I can just imagine the issues arising out of having such a law. While the basis of such a law may be sound with good intentions, I can just see the abuse going crazy with it.

posted by JustaSooner on Jul 06, 2014 at 01:35:19 pm     #

Would put my cousin the travelling doll salesman out of business.

posted by justread on Jul 06, 2014 at 01:51:31 pm     #

Get to know your city council person really well.

posted by upso on Jul 06, 2014 at 06:34:33 pm     #

My opinion, if I saw this happening, I wouldn't care what laws I broke. If a child/adult needs to be helped, I would do anything.

posted by ajm00733 on Jul 07, 2014 at 01:28:42 pm     #

posted by ajm00733 on Jul 07, 2014 at 01:28:43 pm     #

I think I would try to find the owner with minimal effort of course, ask anyone standing around, check inside with staff, have them page owner of <describe vehicle> but about 10 minutes max, then smash glass it is. The other reason I would try to find owner is to know the name of who to report for animal cruelty. If it was a child or baby, deals off, no owner in 1 minutes, glass is smashed.

posted by MIJeff on Jul 07, 2014 at 02:01:23 pm     #

You don't need a law. You just need 8 simple words:

"It was like that when I got here."

Problem solved.

posted by Sohio on Jul 07, 2014 at 02:22:32 pm     #   5 people liked this

try to work with CSB... i would guess they will have the connections and know how on how to get it done... on the other hand, they might tell you why it is not feasible if that is the case

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Jul 07, 2014 at 11:08:15 pm     #

Woman who broke car window to save dog: "I wasn't going to wait. I wasn't going to watch a dog die."

posted by MrsArcher on Jul 08, 2014 at 07:07:55 am     #

I do understand that if it's someones life, I would break in the car. I am hoping that a law passed like this would help one from not getting sued for damage. And to also help someone that may second guess breaking a window and just calling the police.

posted by ToledoLatina on Jul 08, 2014 at 10:28:04 am     #