Frames Pest Control "Alleged" Theft

I had Frames Pest control come to my house to perform a "bombing" of some bushes and trees in late April. When the employee came to my house to perform the service ordered by my brother he solicited an offer for an additional service to spray in the inside of the house. He accepted and the service was performed. No one was allowed in the house for a few hours due to the fumes.

I get home from work later that night and noticed on my bed there was wrinkled money on my bedcover. I walked to that side of the room and my "piggy" bank was empty except for change (large coke bottle designed). I called my brother and asked him who was in my room and he said just the exterminator. I left the house for Easter Sunday and left everything as is.

On Monday my brother and I went to the Pest Control company to speak to management and supposedly the owner in a extremely respectful manor. The owner stated they'd investigate and get back to us. I filed a police report for my records and security. The manager called me back and stated since I've filed a police report they're only going to deal with the police.

To cut to the change I told the manager that I won't go that route (Toledo Police is way too busy with other cases) and I'd take other actions including sharing the story with the news and reviews on the web. They immediately had there attorney call me. I explained the story to Frames attorney and he offered a $1,000 settlement. I initially thought he said $2,000 (I was I bad service area) (the estimated amount) but when I received the paperwork it only said $1,000. I told the attorney I will not settle and then they forwarded the claim to an insurance company. The insurance company did a 1 month investigation and then told me Frames is not covered for this type of claim. I was fed up and just wanted the situation to be over with and called Frames attorney and told him I want to put this behind me and I'll settle for $1,000. He responded with this.

---------------------------------

Mario,

I was able to speak with my client and at this point in time, my client is no longer interested in settling this matter on the terms that it was previously willing to settle for. As a result of the insurance company’s recent investigation into the facts of this matter, and its determination that there is insufficient evidence to establish that the theft was the result of the actions of my client or its employee, my client is not willing to pay you any settlement amount at this time. Should evidence surface in the future that would lead my client to reach a different conclusion, then my client will reanalyze its position at that point in time. While I understand that you may not be pleased with my client’s position, based upon your previous assertions to my client as to actions that you will take absent a settlement, I would caution you that any actions on your part that have the result of defaming my client or its business reputation in any manner will be swiftly responded too.

------------------------------------

Last thing I'd like to mention is I offered to pay for the employee to take a lie detector test and offered to pay the employee $500 if he passed and he still refused. I feel like I've been screwed and I've reported them to the attorney generals office and BBB but they couldn't help.

created by mk123 on Jul 09, 2014 at 03:25:32 pm
updated by mk123 on Jul 09, 2014 at 03:25:53 pm
    Comments: 8

Well spend the money on lie detector tests for yourself and your brother?

posted by MIJeff on Jul 09, 2014 at 03:47:37 pm     #

Shorty Frame wouldn't have allowed this. Third generation blues.

posted by justread on Jul 09, 2014 at 03:48:27 pm     #

Sounds like the company had experience with this before and would just pay hush money to make it go away. However, since you didn't take it up front they are going to hide behind the burden of proof that will be on you should you wish to pursue. They are likely going to play chicken with you now knowing the costs of suing them is going to be a determent, especially if you lose.

Depending on how much evidence you have of who had access to premises at the time, you might fair well in a civil jury setup - but I am no lawyer at all, so don't take any of this as legal advice. You probably should speak to someone to see what their opinion would be on this.

posted by JustaSooner on Jul 09, 2014 at 03:48:28 pm     #

You had $2000 in your piggy bank? Check your brother.

posted by Molsonator on Jul 09, 2014 at 03:48:55 pm     #   2 people liked this

Molsonator I've been putting petty cash ($5,$10,$20) in there for 6 years since I've moved to Toledo. My brother and I do extremely well for ourselves.

posted by mk123 on Jul 09, 2014 at 04:02:39 pm     #

I am just kidding mk123, although if it were my brother I might check the recycling bin to see if there was an over abundance of Bud Light Cans.

posted by Molsonator on Jul 09, 2014 at 04:09:50 pm     #

On a semi-related note, this story is a perfect example of why keeping significant sums of money in the house is a poor idea. We keep almost no cash in the house, and the few valuables (mostly my wife's jewelry) we keep in the house are locked up in a hidden safe.

Not to give you a hard time, mk123, just an observation about the dangers of keeping valuables in the home. A safe deposit box is cheap insurance against theft.

posted by historymike on Jul 09, 2014 at 04:42:26 pm     #

historymike posted at 04:42:26 PM on Jul 09, 2014:

I don't keep any cash at home other than what I threw in there over the years. Never thought it would happen to me until it happened. You live and you learn.

posted by mk123 on Jul 09, 2014 at 04:55:27 pm     #