Interesting experience in Bellefontaine today

Drove down to check out a little place daughter told us about, Don's Downtown Diner, right in the middle of town. Good burgers and ribs are their specialties. Ribs were the Saturday special but we got 1/2 lb burgers and they WERE good, maybe the best we've had. I got bacon and bleu cheese and he got the Italian, dripping with dressing and hot salami, peppers, and olives, plus the works on both, they were huge. Lovely soft grilled buns, good coleslaw and really good hand-cut crispy fries. Came time to pay and it was on the house. Wut? Waitress said someone in the dining room paid for us. Wut? It's a tiny tiny place, 30 chairs at the most, and we knew no-one and nobody even said hi, except her. I tipped her a ten and we've made our way out in a daze. Talking about it on the way home, it had to be the boss. We had told the waitress we had driven down from Toledo because we heard they were good, so we're thinking she mentioned it and he said 'comp em.' Feeling like I should send her another ten and a thank you note to the proprietor. We didn't know how to act, lol!!! She tipped us that if we want the Saturday ribs, we need to call ahead in the morning and reserve them to make sure we get them. She's off to college in a month and her last day is a Saturday, so she's reserving a rack for herself, she never gets to eat them (but she may have today, I see they facebooked they had 4 racks left around 6:30)! :) Worth the drive? Yes.

created by nana on Jul 19, 2014 at 08:58:21 pm     Food     Comments: 7

Cool story.

As a related note, is it really pronounced "Bell Fountain" by the locals? That's what I've always been told.

posted by slowsol on Jul 19, 2014 at 09:04:44 pm     #

yes, it is. Bell-fon-tayne is the one out on 20 to the east, even tho it does not have the 'e' on the end. makes no sense, lol.

posted by nana on Jul 19, 2014 at 09:09:03 pm     #

It's possible that someone in the dining room paid for you. I made a New Year's resolution that once in a while I would pick up someone's restaurant check without their knowing about it. Bonus points if you choose someone very different from yourself or your usual party. People are doing it at drive-throughs: paying for the next guy's coffee & doughnuts. Then people pay it forward.

posted by viola on Jul 20, 2014 at 08:23:06 pm     #

AWESOME story! Make sure to hit them up on yelp.com!

posted by upso on Jul 20, 2014 at 09:04:46 pm     #

Nice story!!

posted by shamrock44 on Jul 20, 2014 at 09:09:29 pm     #

Viola, we did talk about the pay-it-forward thing, it IS possible. It's fun to do, but this was a $30 check, that's kinda huge for a stranger. I have no way of knowing for sure, so guess I'll just do the same when the opportunity affords itself. It was a surreal experience, I have to say. We've told the story 4 times since yesterday and still marvel at it, lol.

posted by nana on Jul 20, 2014 at 10:40:49 pm     #

Upso, I have only written one review on YELP, don't you have to do 5 before they print any of them? I did respond on their Facebook page, not the whole story, just a thanks for the great food.

posted by nana on Jul 20, 2014 at 10:45:27 pm     #