Appliance Parts in Maumee

Briefly - our timer on our washing machine busted Sunday morning. Real pain. After researching on line for a couple hours yesterday, I decided Appliance Parts (a 1st source Servall Company) in Maumee was the place to go. $104 is what the site said.

I got there this morning and the lady at the register said $118 plus tax. I said the web site said $104. Her response was "that is wholesale. We need to make a profit". (Worker at the other register chimes in "plus its $16 shipping if you order on line"). OK seemed slimy but i needed the part.

Then i get the receipt and the part is $104 and there is a separate line item for $14 for a lifetime warranty for the part. I say "do I have to get the warranty" - Lady's response "It comes with the part" - My response "That's not what I asked, I asked do I have to get the warranty" - Lady "yes".

Got home and called corporate. National Director of Sales (A little over kill - but nice!) said that it was NOT THE CASE!

So long story short - think twice about using the Maumee store. They lie.

created by Molsonator on Jul 28, 2014 at 03:18:16 pm     Home     Comments: 10

She also neglected to tell me there is a one year warranty from the manufacturer (of course) which they told me on the phone.

I wonder how many people they scam on this?

posted by Molsonator on Jul 28, 2014 at 03:23:07 pm     #

So, they charged you $14 for the 1 year warranty that comes with the part??? wow. Is the ND of S going to refund your money?? Smells like pocket-lining to me. We have always had real good luck with the appliance part place at Broadway and South.

posted by nana on Jul 28, 2014 at 09:58:47 pm     #

It was a life time warranty nana - which is stupid for a washer i am trying to keep alive for just a little longer. One year is enough. The point is they are playing games with the price. Then they are lying to your face. It pissed me off.

posted by Molsonator on Jul 29, 2014 at 08:41:45 am     #

Give the BBB a call and lodge a complaint. Make the company jump through the hoops of responding.

posted by shamrock44 on Jul 29, 2014 at 10:44:56 am     #   1 person liked this

In a semi related complaint, I went to buy a book at Barnes & Noble and found out the prices they have online (at their own website!) they do not honor in the stores. The specific book was significantly different. $25 online and $39.99 in store. Annoying.

posted by slowsol on Jul 29, 2014 at 11:04:21 am     #

I have some parts left from a clothes dryer, it was a Maytag so if you need some of those, only electrical part i don't have is the motor.

posted by MIJeff on Jul 29, 2014 at 01:18:05 pm     #

I try to source all my needs locally whenever possible, but they gave me the same runaround for a dryer belt last fall. $23 plus $12 or something for the lifetime warranty. Got it via Amazon--from an independent dealer--for $12. Although I still feel a little dirty, it arrived in two days and fit perfectly.

posted by SavageFred on Jul 29, 2014 at 02:59:14 pm     #

slowsol posted at 11:04:21 AM on Jul 29, 2014:

I've found a lot of retailers with online stores will not honor online pricing because they have different margin goals for each line of business. The store is going to require higher margins than the online store.

posted by JustaSooner on Jul 29, 2014 at 05:23:28 pm     #   2 people liked this

I recently joined Costco. I have been buying Refresh eye drops since 1996 and I always got them at Walmart, $18-$20 for 70 vials (can't use preservatives). 3 years ago, I decided to check Amazon and found a seller with a really good price ($22 for 100 vials) and a single shipping cost based on weight (3-5lbs, $7). I was buying them 10 boxes at a time. Over the years, the prices have gone up and the shipping changed to being based on per-box, so the last time I bought them they were $23 and $4.99 shipping per box. A couple weeks ago, I checked Costco's website to see if they had them and they did, $20.99 for 100. Cool, no shipping! Went to the store, they were $19.98 for 100, so in-store was cheaper than online! very cool.

posted by nana on Jul 29, 2014 at 05:48:39 pm     #

JustaSooner posted at 05:23:28 PM on Jul 29, 2014:
slowsol posted at 11:04:21 AM on Jul 29, 2014:

Yet, stores wonder why people "showroom" them; looking at an item in the store and then buying it online.

I noticed that Lowes is consistent between the web and the store. To the penny. Maybe it's margin, maybe it's good business in an online world with people looking at smart phones while they are shopping.

posted by justread on Jul 30, 2014 at 05:49:53 am     #   3 people liked this