Recycle those water bottles!

Hopefully most of the millions of plastic water bottles that will be used over the next few days (or longer) will be recycled.

created by Mike21 on Aug 03, 2014 at 01:11:22 pm     Comments: 7

Good point.

A lot of the plastic that does NOT get recycled ends up in our waterways. Have we learned anything from this? We'll see...

posted by Sohio on Aug 03, 2014 at 01:27:28 pm     #   1 person liked this

They want us to recycle, yet I don't have recycle pickup. Hmmm.

posted by jaybeer on Aug 03, 2014 at 01:59:50 pm     #

You can drop off recycling at, I believe, all Krogers in Toledo. They have giant bins off to the side of the stores.

posted by upso on Aug 03, 2014 at 02:09:11 pm     #

Everyone in Toledo (via Republic Services) has weekly recycle pickups the same day garbage is picked up. They delivered the blue recycle containers to all residents when they got the contract. There are also dozens of locations throughout the area that you can drop them off.

posted by Mike21 on Aug 03, 2014 at 02:15:03 pm     #   1 person liked this

Here's a good list:

You run out for some fast food, to get gas, get a car wash, or whatever...stop at a recycling center while you're doing it. It takes a few minutes and can potentially keep trash out of our lake.

I swear, I don't consider myself an environmentalist; but I guess I am where Lake Erie is concerned. I grew up on this lake, using it for various forms of recreation my whole life. Three generations of my family used it, in one form or another, to make their living. So, this water crisis has me up in arms a little bit.

That's why I have always said: don't fertilize your lawn, and go out of your way, if you have to, to recycle. We live close enough to this body of water that being reckless has a very tangible effect.

posted by Sohio on Aug 03, 2014 at 02:18:13 pm     #   8 people liked this

Here's another thing to think about, when recycling:

Glass is made from sand. Sand is removed from areas near water...such as the great lakes. Michigan and Indiana have lost entire dunes to sand mining. As far as I know, it's not as much of a problem in Ohio...yet. What happens when the other places run out of sand?

Something to think about when you're throwing a glass jar in the trash.

posted by Sohio on Aug 03, 2014 at 02:36:12 pm     #   1 person liked this

metroparks is offering recycling: https://twitter.com/MyMetroparks/status/495997931540213760

posted by upso on Aug 03, 2014 at 02:38:47 pm     #   1 person liked this