Ebeid Hospice Center at Flower Hospital

My aunt passed away at Ebeid Hospice Center this morning. She had been there 10 days.

People always say how "amazing" hospice workers are, and it's absolutely true. These are doctors, nurses and aides who know their patients are not likely to be leaving under their own power, so to speak. The nurses and aides I saw their cared for my aunt so gently and tenderly that I felt like they were taking care of one of their own.

The man who donated the money for the center, Russell Ebeid, doesn't live in the area, although his children do.

Our family will be forever grateful for the care my aunt had there, and for the lovely facility in which she spent her final days.

created by Anniecski on Aug 05, 2014 at 05:26:38 pm     Comments: 13

Anniecski,

My condolences to you and your family.

posted by foodie88 on Aug 05, 2014 at 05:40:23 pm     #

I'm sorry for your loss. Glad she had Hospice. It makes such a difference.?
Like so many area families since 1981, my family has a special place in our hearts for our independent community hospice, Hospice of Northwest Ohio.

Too many families wait too long to get Hospice care.
If anybody has questions about hospice or palliative care, our area has a great resource in: www.toughquestionsstraightanswers.org

posted by justread on Aug 05, 2014 at 05:43:50 pm     #

Not sure where that question mark came from. On my phone.
Again, sorry for your loss.

posted by justread on Aug 05, 2014 at 05:44:42 pm     #

Very sorry for your family's struggles, Anniecski, but glad to hear that the Ebeid Center hospice staff was excellent.

posted by historymike on Aug 05, 2014 at 05:52:59 pm     #

Hospice rocks. My father in law's last 8 months of life with home hospice were calm, fun, and pain-free. He wasn't totally disabled but he was slowly heading down the path, so we were able to bring him out with oxygen and a wheelchair and people came from all around to pay respects when we set him up in the driveway, holding court. ALL my donations go to them, I hope they are there when I need them. Peace to you and your family, Annie, glad she was well taken care of. <3

posted by nana on Aug 05, 2014 at 07:53:56 pm     #

I'm so sorry for your loss, Annie.

Hospice (of Northwest Ohio) helped our family during my husband's last few months. He was able to remain at home, which was good because my boys were fairly young and we were trying to keep life as normal as possible for them (e.g. baseball and soccer practice). Everyone we dealt with there was amazing, from the nurses to the social worker assigned to us. I just can't say enough good things about them. I'm glad that your aunt had such caring people taking care of her--and of you all.

posted by valbee on Aug 05, 2014 at 09:05:54 pm     #

Very sorry to hear of your family's loss, Annie. Please accept my condolences.

My father-in-law died in hospice, and our family felt similar gratitude for the compassionate and respectful care he received there.

posted by jmleong on Aug 05, 2014 at 10:25:19 pm     #

My sympathies to you and your family, Anniecski. My husband passed away just two months ago today after being with in-home hospice care with the Hospice of NW Ohio for 9 weeks. The nurses were wonderful and were always there to help me even if it was a 4:00 in the morning emergency call for help. They also offer many different support groups to help in dealing with the loss of a loved one and I am taking advantage of them. It definitely helps to talk to other men and women who have walked a mile in your shoes!

posted by ldr on Aug 05, 2014 at 10:51:59 pm     #

posted by upso on Aug 05, 2014 at 11:07:09 pm     #

So sorry for your loss. But very comforting knowing there were Angels taking care of her.

posted by ToledoLatina on Aug 06, 2014 at 01:00:28 am     #

Sorry to read this, Annie.

Those who are remembered are never really gone.

posted by McCaskey on Aug 06, 2014 at 01:09:31 am     #

My sympathies Annie.

posted by JeepMaker on Aug 06, 2014 at 09:22:19 am     #

Thanks, folks, for the kind words.

The Ebeid Center really was amazing. As much as we all felt in turmoil (Are we doing the right thing for her? What does she understand?) the staff did so much to keep us informed and to make sure that we felt as cared for as my aunt.

The facility, too, is beautiful, with big windows overlooking a large pond on the property. We could see wildlife there in the evenings, and it was very peaceful.

posted by Anniecski on Aug 06, 2014 at 12:35:10 pm     #   2 people liked this