Veritas Cork and Craft

OK TT'ers- Veritas Cork and Craft is getting ready to open. Next week should be their "whisper" opening. I gave their wine 101 training last night and this place is going to be sweeeeeet! I have no skin in the game, just one of my good friends is one of the owners and I want them to have great success. Here is the pertinent info-

• 505 Jefferson Street
  • Hours-M-Sat Retail opens at 11, lounge opens at 4. No end times scheduled yet, but it will probably be around 10 on weekdays and later on the weekends. Probably as long as business is rolling, they'll be open.
  • They have some light apps, and the food will evolve. They have a talented young guy in the kitchen, that definitely "gets it". He's putting out a killer assortment of charcuterie and cheeses. All wine and beer friendly stuff.
  • Upon opening-all draft beers are from Ohio, and it's a murderer's row of the best breweries in Ohio.
  • Phenomenal wine program-full retail at state min prices, eclectic selection, and the benefit of being in the wine bar is, the entire wine selection is available for consumption on premise for an additional $10 over retail. This a great concept and will get you wine for about half what most restaurants would charge.-The wine buyer and partner was the buyer at Anderson's Maumee for several years, and is one of the most knowledgeable beer and wine guys in the city-
  • Cocktails will be excellent, they've hired a veteran bartender with mad skills.
  • The room is gorgeous-Very well laid out, lots of cool reclaimed wood throughout. It's an excellent companion to the already excellent and successful Registry Bistro across the street.
  • Here's their FB page https://www.facebook.com/veritastoledo
  • Go support these hometown boys putting something really cool right in the heart of downtown.
created by ahmahler on Aug 07, 2014 at 05:04:03 pm     Food     Comments: 22

source      versions      2 people liked this

Oh-Forgot to mention-It's in the ground floor of the Commodore Perry Building if that address doesn't immediately compute

posted by ahmahler on Aug 07, 2014 at 05:06:11 pm     #

I love that this is across the street from Registry Bistro. That block is turning into the perfect date night destination!

posted by upso on Aug 07, 2014 at 05:08:50 pm     #   2 people liked this

good lord, I am so excited for this.

posted by kaj on Aug 07, 2014 at 05:09:52 pm     #   1 person liked this

I can't wait. I've been dreaming about a new wine place since Middle Grounds closed.

posted by Brewster on Aug 07, 2014 at 05:49:53 pm     #

When you say "reclaimed"'wood, was the location an old restaurant in the past?

posted by Dappling2 on Aug 07, 2014 at 07:46:05 pm     #

The reclaimed wood comes from a few sources, one was from some very old bleachers, one, I believe was a 100+ year old barn door of black walnut-pretty stunning stuff. No sign of any previous restaurants, but the building is so old, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a restaurant there years ago.

posted by ahmahler on Aug 07, 2014 at 08:50:15 pm     #

That sounds cool. Thanks!

posted by Dappling2 on Aug 07, 2014 at 10:21:52 pm     #

wooo!

posted by endcycle on Aug 08, 2014 at 09:34:32 am     #

I've heard next Thursday will be their first day open to the public. This will be a great addition to downtown!

posted by brainswell on Aug 08, 2014 at 10:12:31 am     #

Throw in that new taproom opening this fall across from table 44 and add the other already open places, DAMN, you might say this downtown area is starting to get something going!

posted by jaybeer on Aug 08, 2014 at 03:37:23 pm     #   1 person liked this

Looks like they had big crowds Friday and Saturday. Not sure if it was open to public and I wasn't dressed for the place so I didn't stick my head in to find out.

posted by In_vin_veritas on Aug 10, 2014 at 08:25:39 am     #

Friends and family nights-standard "work the kinks out" pre opening parties.

posted by ahmahler on Aug 10, 2014 at 11:02:00 am     #

Next Thursday as in Aug 14th?

I am curious, as we have friends visiting on the 15th and we planned to go downtown. This would be a great place to check out.

posted by thewebboy on Aug 10, 2014 at 02:10:45 pm     #

Next Thursday as in Aug 14th?

! posted by thewebboy on Aug 10, 2014 at 02:10:45 pm # +

They are scheduled to open tomorrow-you should be good

posted by ahmahler on Aug 10, 2014 at 03:59:02 pm     #

Are they open today? I've finally got some free time this evening and would love to check them out.

posted by Brewster on Aug 13, 2014 at 01:14:31 pm     #

They are, and I'm going tonight to meet a friend

posted by ahmahler on Aug 13, 2014 at 01:45:11 pm     #

Walked by today, that place looks so neat. Cannot wait to try it!

posted by stooks on Aug 13, 2014 at 02:45:03 pm     #

Had a drink and an awesome meat board there last night-

Nice article in The Free Press today-

posted by ahmahler on Aug 14, 2014 at 04:52:05 pm     #

I stopped by last night myself with some coworkers before we got killed in beach volleyball. VERY very nice.

posted by endcycle on Aug 15, 2014 at 12:10:59 pm     #

Thank goodness I continued to read more than just the subject line. I pictured a bunch of middle aged folks sitting at folding tables, cutting and gluing various cork shapes into their scrapbooks.... and I am being totally serious.

posted by squidgereen on Aug 16, 2014 at 03:33:07 pm     #

And, for those of you curious about Paula Brown/ Swig food truck-

Here's more info

posted by ahmahler on Sep 04, 2014 at 04:11:05 pm     #

PUB @ Paula Brown's is great! We're so lucky to have Paula & Peter in our community. It's a gorgeous building with a very tasteful shop that has items of all different price ranges. I'll definitely be a fixture at the new bar.

posted by LoveToledo on Sep 04, 2014 at 09:21:57 pm     #   2 people liked this