Anyone using a Mohu Leaf

So I finally cut the cable and am streaming Hulu Plus and Netflix on two TV's through a Wii and a WiiU. I bought a Mohu Leaf 30 for our main TV based on its reviews on Amazon and Wirecutter and someone mentioning it here on TT. However, no matter where I place it in regards to the TV, I cannot pull in Channel 11-1 or 11-2. Additionally, Channel 13 and it's 2 other stations have moments where the reception is great and other times where I don't get a signal at all. The antenna has a 10' coax cable so I can move it pretty far. Right now, I have it facing to the east since that is where the antenna location finder is telling me where the signals are coming from.

The antenna is mounted high up on an wall that backs up to my screened in porch. Living in West Toledo, the houses are fairly close together so I am wondering if this could be a problem. Any suggestions oh, TT geniuses?

created by daddyg on Aug 08, 2014 at 11:18:29 am     Comments: 13

I have 3 Mohu antennas and I live near Alexis/Talmadge. Our house has aluminum siding, aluminum window frames AND we have a steel roof, so it's a challenge. We did invest in the amplified versions, as the plain versions wouldn't pull in anything.

I've found keeping the antennas near the middle of the room closer to the opposite wall from the windows helps. It's unsightly, but it's the only way we can consistently pull in stations. Our kitchen TV absolutely will not pull in channel 11, it's at the back of the house on the west side, and the towers are near Maumee Bay state park.

When delivery trucks go down the street, we lose the signal. Still, I wouldn't trade them for cable. We were paying $180/month.

Call Mohu, they may be able to help, but we played around with them for a few weeks to find the sweet spot. If I had it to do over again, I would invest in the Mohu Sky antenna that attaches to the side of the house and claims to be multi-directional.

posted by MsUnderstood on Aug 08, 2014 at 02:48:30 pm     #

I have a Leaf and channel 11 is a PITA to pull in. I have to run it to a patio door to get reception. Even then it's spotty. We're in Sylvania.

I agree, it's still much better than paying satellite or cable.

posted by JoeyGee on Aug 08, 2014 at 10:56:13 pm     #

Welcome back to the 1950's - you don't get what you don't pay for. This week on the local news kids were interviewed saying that email is antiquated - like writing a snail mail letter. The future is cable, the highest speed internet you can get and social media like Twitter, Instagram and high tech apps. You're a cheap dinosaur.

posted by LoveToledo on Aug 08, 2014 at 11:20:37 pm     #

No kid I know would be caught dead watching cable. It's XBMC hub + an Android box or Raspberry Pi. If you're behind the curve you're still using an HDMI cable to run XBMC to the tv from your computer. Anything other than that and you're back in the stone age.

posted by OnePlainPerson on Aug 09, 2014 at 08:05:37 am     #

Something has changed at Channel 11. We used to be able to get all five area stations using our Radio Shack tabletop antenna (we too are dinosaurs). But about 4 months ago, Channel 11 started getting hard to receive. If I leave the TV on that channel for 3 minutes or so, it will come in. By that time I've always skipped ahead to other channels because I only want a quick weather and/or water report :-) Maybe they've changed something about how they transmit.

posted by viola on Aug 09, 2014 at 08:52:20 am     #

A proud and happy dinosaur am I (except for the Channel 11 thing.) Looks like I will have to get the booster that Mohu offers.

posted by daddyg on Aug 09, 2014 at 08:57:55 am     #

They screwed up in my opinion when they went to all digital, they really lowered the output power of all the tv stations and drastically reduced the viewing area for any local stations.

posted by MIJeff on Aug 09, 2014 at 09:54:03 am     #

"kids were interviewed saying that email is antiquated"

Same thing was said 10 years ago, but those teenagers then are now probably using Gmail today.

If email was past its time, Google would not be improving Gmail.

Many other new and improved email services exist today that have been designed to function well on phones. I like fastmail.fm.

Email is used for alerts and notifications, and in recent years, more websites are providing daily, weekly, or monthly email newsletters or digests.

I think http://mailchimp.com and other similar services are doing well.

Geeks are trying to reimagine email. They probably thought email was dead 10 years ago.

I recently redesigned one of my web publishing tools where a user never has to create nor remember a password to login. To login, only an email address is entered, and a link is sent that when clicked, the user will get logged in. Since I'm logged into an email account all the time anyway on both the phone and desktop/laptop, having a login link emailed is no big deal.

Internally, many companies probably still rely on email too much for functions like knowledge management and collaboration when other services exist that are better than email, but I don't see email disappearing soon.

Email is an easy to use and implement private social network. SMTP = simple mail transfer protocol.

BTW, kids change their minds often.

Over the past year, people began worrying about the future of Facebook because it was no longer cool among the kids, and the kids had moved on to services like Snapchat.

I'm not positive, but I think Facebook is doing okay.

What's antiquated to me is watching scheduled TV programming, except for the NFL.

I watch TV on my schedule via a Roku box, but more importantly, I don't watch much TV at all, less each year.

Talk about being a dinosaur in the television set world, that's us. Our TV set is from the mid 1990s. We have no cable, no satellite, no rabbit ears, no converter box.

We can only see what comes over the Internet or what's on DVD.

Two pieces of hardware that interest me zero are television sets and printers. No printer in our home.

At this point, my NFL viewing will done with a portable, digital TV with a seven-inch screen, assuming that I have over three hours to squander.

TV wastes time. It's too passive of an activity. TV news is too slow of a medium for providing info, compared to using the Internet over smartphones.

(yet another comment posted with an iPhone)

posted by jr on Aug 09, 2014 at 11:28:46 am     #

We enjoy sitting down together to watch stuff we've accumulated on the DVR. Many days, that's about all the face-to-face together time we have, given both our heavy work schedules.

It's nice to share an interest in specific programming. It's fun to say "Well of COURSE Sookie and Bill will end up together!" and then watch to see what happens :-)

By the time 10:30 PM rolls around, both of us are USUALLY home from work. It's nice to have something we can engage with together. Especially something that IS passive. Neither of us has much left, physically or mentally, at the end of our days. LOL!

Oh, and while Mr. Gamegrrl has a printer, it is not on the floor of the house where I work. We can't seem to get it to network properly. I wish I had a very small, functional printer that I could tuck somewhere in my office corner. So I guess I am old-timey :-)

posted by gamegrrl on Aug 09, 2014 at 12:50:58 pm     #

I am with JR on the printers. Who needs to print anything any more? Paper drives me nuts. Businesses waste thousands upon thousands of dollars on buying, maintaining and supplying printers. Then all the costs of handling and storing paper. No thanks.

We have one printer here, and it gets almost zero use.

posted by JoeyGee on Aug 09, 2014 at 01:15:01 pm     #   1 person liked this

Even systems that aspire to be paper-free require SOME paper. That's the line of work I'm in, to be honest.

For me, personally, there are things I want/need to print.

posted by gamegrrl on Aug 09, 2014 at 01:18:59 pm     #

Who needs to print anything any more?

Title agencies come to mind.
Banks.
Car dealers.
Retailers.
Restaurants.
Meter maids.
Attorneys.
Boards made up of non-staff volunteers.
Architects.
Accountants....

posted by justread on Aug 09, 2014 at 01:26:39 pm     #

I just ordered the Winegard Flatwave off of Amazon earlier in the week - it was about $20 less than the comparable amplified Mohu. We bought the bullet after Buckeye finally discovered that they were sending us basic cable at no charge - we cancelled our premium DVR package over a year and a half ago but until last week they were still sending us the basic signal.

I'll check back in once it's up and running with an update.

posted by idinspired on Aug 09, 2014 at 02:26:27 pm     #