Car Electrical A/C Heater Blower not working

Anyone know a reasonable person/company that does electrical on cars?
My heater fan just stopped working. The Climate controls still work just not the blower.

thanks

created by stooks on Aug 14, 2014 at 11:28:00 am     Comments: 7

What kind of car is this, stooks? Some blower motors are very easy to remove and replace; I had one go out on a Saturn a few years ago that was right under the glove box and took me 10 minutes to change.

I am a big fan of Earl Brothers on Secor north of Sylvania, if you choose to go the professional route.

posted by historymike on Aug 14, 2014 at 11:41:41 am     #

If you smelled smoke then it is the resistor package, chances are it is anyways. When your blower is running a lot (constantly) it can overheat the wires at the resistor package that controls fan speed, meling the connector and thw wires in it. I have seen it multiple times, have had it happen to me multiple times, a lot of car makers have that on recall because they are cheap bastages and only use the minimum gauge wire they can get away with and it will overheat. Look at the wires going from the motor itself to a small panel mounted on the ductwork somewhere before it heads back to the dash switch, that will be the resistors package that controls fan speed, 9 times out of 10 that will be the issue, it might be buried under panelwork or right out in the open, dependson design.

posted by MIJeff on Aug 14, 2014 at 12:18:03 pm     #

buy one from them and replace it - not that hard

posted by justareviewer on Aug 14, 2014 at 01:03:29 pm     #   1 person liked this

Thanks Guys. I didn't smell smoke..it just sort of stopped.
it's a 2008 Ford Mustang.
Been having a lot of issues. Wiper motor just went out the other month. It somehow fried it.

posted by stooks on Aug 14, 2014 at 01:06:30 pm     #

You can get a replacement resistor for that car for less than 30 bucks at O'Reilly locally. They plug right in to a four-pin harness.
I normally don't recommend throwing parts at something rather than actually diagnosing it first, but for the money and the likelihood that it is the problem, probably be worth it.

posted by justread on Aug 14, 2014 at 01:31:18 pm     #   2 people liked this

I've had a couple of electrical issues with this car. It's strange. To me a 2008 shouldn't have all these issues.
I had to replace the wiper motor because somehow the connection fried the motor.

posted by stooks on Aug 14, 2014 at 02:06:32 pm     #

Blower resistor it was.
I took my car in for another issue and they checked it and said it was going to be 160 bucks to replace the resistor.....I went to AutoZone bought a $21.99 resistor and installed. Didn't work at first until I realized lovely Brondes didn't reconnect the plug to my fan speed switch. Plugged in and now my blower works.

posted by stooks on Sep 02, 2014 at 03:32:30 pm     #   1 person liked this