Were to find doctor for indigent partient?

Can anyone tell me where I can find a doctor for my neighbor. He appears to have a bad back, to the extent where can't walk upright to any great extent. He's been to Toledo twice, and they tell him they "can't find anything. Many Thanks!

created by Wulf on Aug 25, 2014 at 05:04:57 am     Comments: 17

Can anyone tell me where I can find a doctor for my neighbor. He appears to have a bad back, to the extent where can't walk upright to any great extent. He's been to Toledo twice, and they tell him they "can't find anything". Many Thanks!

posted by Wulf on Aug 25, 2014 at 05:06:17 am     #

Wulf give United Way a call. They can guide you or your neighbor to a solution. None of us needs anyone falling through the cracks or quitting because the answers are not immediate.

posted by Mariner on Aug 25, 2014 at 05:09:32 am     #   1 person liked this

How old is your neighbor, Wulf? A person who is, for example, between the ages of 30 and 50 would likely have different needs than an elderly person.

I have endured back problems off and on for several decades. A few years ago I had a particularly bad spell that had lasted a few months before I went to see my primary care physician.

He referred me to Total Rehab for physical therapy. I was skeptical at first, but PT made a tremendous difference in my quality of life. The main issue that was causing my back pain was tight hamstring muscles, which forced my back muscles to take on too much of the burden when I was lifting things. Part of the rehab was teaching me to do hamstring exercises, which I still do.

Within 10 days or so of beginning physical therapy, I began to feel much better. I have now been three years without a major episode of debilitating back pain (an occasional twinge or ache for a couple days, but none of the stuff that can make a person miserable).

posted by historymike on Aug 25, 2014 at 06:48:20 am     #

Sorry, I missed the "indigent" part above. I got too focused on the back pain problem.

posted by historymike on Aug 25, 2014 at 06:50:09 am     #

My friend is 43. Thanks, guys

posted by Wulf on Aug 25, 2014 at 07:08:01 am     #

If he's indigent, has he tried applying for Medicaid?

That would help him with access to medical care.

When you say he has been to the hospital, do you mean the ER? Did they do any type of x rays or scans?

(You may not know the answers to that, but I was just trying to get a feel for what he's had done so far.)

posted by mom2 on Aug 25, 2014 at 07:14:00 am     #

mom2 posted at 07:14:00 AM on Aug 25, 2014:

If he's indigent, has he tried applying for Medicaid?

That would help him with access to medical care.

Good point - ER docs are focused on acute and/or life-threatening issues, mom2. They probably send him on his way because they are not set up for (nor are they necessarily trained for) diagnosing chronic spinal column problems.

posted by historymike on Aug 25, 2014 at 02:29:11 pm     #

Yeah, and it pisses them off to no end, too.

posted by justread on Aug 25, 2014 at 02:33:23 pm     #

There was an article in The Blade a couple weeks ago about a free clinic in the north end . Started by Glenn Carlson, MD , a retired orthopedic surgeon.

I have searched, and can't find a phone number for the clinic, but here's a link that explains a little about their location and their hours.

Hope this helps, and bless you for being such a good neighbor !

posted by foodie88 on Aug 25, 2014 at 04:32:53 pm     #

Forgot to mention, you do not need to live in that particular neighborhood to be a patient.

posted by foodie88 on Aug 25, 2014 at 04:56:01 pm     #

Have them call 211 which refers people in need out and is able to connect with other agencies which might be of benefit. United Way 2-1-1 is a free, confidential and anonymous, non-emergency information and referral service that connects Lucas, Wood, Ottawa, Erie, and Hancock county residents to the health and human services they need. Some examples include:

Job training opportunities
Financial or legal counseling
Foreclosure / low-income housing
Homelessness assistance and shelter referrals
Health care services
Volunteer opportunities
Free tax preparation
Food assistance / food pantries
Substance abuse treatment
Child or elderly care
Holiday assistance

posted by Nyse on Aug 25, 2014 at 06:02:06 pm     #   1 person liked this

He would qualify for Medicaid which is what he should look into, but for the immediate need, i recall an article in the Blade a while back about a free clinic that is ran by the UTMC residents I believe on Byrne Rd across from Doc Watsons. It is only once a week but so is the free clinic in North Toledo.

posted by trixanne on Aug 25, 2014 at 06:52:22 pm     #

If he went to the er without insurance they more then likely signed him up for medicaid right then and there.

posted by savah1128 on Aug 25, 2014 at 09:04:36 pm     #

The clinic is held at Cedar Creek Church's South Campus (Byrne & Heatherdowns on Thursdays at 6 p.m. The church also serves a meal to those who need one.

posted by WordsRUs on Aug 25, 2014 at 09:50:50 pm     #

My neighbor has been treated at Toledo Hospitals ER unit three times.

posted by Wulf on Aug 26, 2014 at 07:37:38 am     #

I think he definitely needs to find a clinic.

ER really can only do so much for chronic pain or health issues. Hopefully one of the clinics listed above can help!

posted by mom2 on Aug 26, 2014 at 08:03:19 am     #

Speaking of free clinics, Cedar Creek also host free medical clinics once a month I believe.

posted by ToledoLatina on Aug 26, 2014 at 08:24:47 am     #