Prognosticating the Toledo Mayoral Race

Curious to see how other TT posters see this race shaking out. My thoughts:

• I see four main contenders (Finkbeiner, Bell, Drabik-Collins, and Hicks-Hudson) and two more distant outsiders (Ferner and Spang,) plus Opal Covey all by herself with a handful of protest/lunatic votes.
  • I think Drabik-Collins and Hicks-Hudson will split evenly the majority of the Democratic diehards, with Finkbeiner drawing some and Ferner snaking a few.
  • I see Carty drawing enough of the old Carty Army to make this a real horse race, but even his most diehard supporters have to question his energy. Still, in my neighborhood I see sh'loads of Carty signs, so he could end up squeaking this out.
  • I think Bell will siphon the vast majority of Republican voters (maybe 75 percent), plus pulling perhaps 20 percent of the African American voters. Finkbeiner and Spang will carve up the rest of the GOP voters. Bell has also been getting a ton of radio promos from Andy Stuart on the airwaves; I have probably heard more Stuart ads for Bell than any other candidate.
  • The TV ads for Paula Hicks-Hudson are odd, and they do not seem professionally produced. There is some strange music playing in the background, and the ads are uninspiring. Same goes for the Drabik-Collins ads: murky message and a lack of professional production value. Carty's ads are predictable, but they at least are focused, coherent, and relatively slick. The few Bell TV ads I have seen are reasonably effective, but not especially memorable. I do not think media buys are going to significantly affect the percentages, though in what looks like a close race, the eventual winner might lead by only 1,000 votes or so.
  • I see the final percentages as follows:
    • Bell: 23 percent
    • Drabik-Collins: 22 percent
    • Finkbeiner: 22 percent
    • Hicks-Hudson: 18 percent
    • Spang: 9 percent
    • Ferner: 5 percent
    • Covey: >1 percent (sorry Opal: looks like the Anti-Opal Conspiracy will steal another election from you. Better luck next time).

Bottom line: I think the dilution of the Democratic vote (three legitimate contenders plus Ferner) favors Bell.

(Note to partisan Kool-Aid drinkers: just forecasting here in this post, not shilling for anyone. If you did not see your favorite candidate winning in my projection, don't whine about how I am part of the effort to tear down [Candidate X])

created by historymike on Oct 30, 2015 at 06:00:41 pm     Local-Politics     Comments: 79

so PH2 probably needs a shot of Dave Ramsey....

posted by justareviewer on Oct 30, 2015 at 06:41:32 pm     #

I'm fulla gin!
Opal's gonna win!
Everybody jump and shout
When we get the final count
'Cuz we know it's all about
Opal! Opal! Opal!

posted by madjack on Oct 30, 2015 at 10:35:37 pm     #

HM, you didn't factor in the prophetess of God factor. That's worth it easy 15% and a locust plague.

posted by SensorG on Oct 30, 2015 at 10:56:12 pm     #

hm:

You've obviously put some thought into your prognostication. However, I don't give Toledo voters the same credit. The majority either aren't capable or are simply too lazy to think for themselves. Its just so much easier to let someone else tell them how to vote.

Personally, I hope you are correct that Bell comes out on top.
But, based on my 30+ years of experience with Lucas County politics and the above mentioned Toledo voter mentality, I see Carty running away with it. And you know he wouldn't give up after finishing the two years left on Collins' term.
So, brace yourselves folks, I fear we're in for Czarty, Round 3.

posted by Foodie on Oct 31, 2015 at 04:39:46 am     #

The only thing I know is that based on our Board of Elections, we won't have any meaningful results until very late into the night!

posted by Spaceace on Oct 31, 2015 at 06:09:15 am     #

History appreciate your breakdown, it sure will be interesting. One factor not included is the one time stoner vote as a result of issue #3. Not necessarily limited to an age demographic (25-35 millennials for example) there should be an entire segment who have registered for this single isssue. What buttons they push other than that is anybodies guess. In this close of a contest a few hundred will be meaningful. The ward style of voting appears to be a thing of the past with no unity to be ascribed to party, union,age or income. Fully agree that the electronic media influence has also lost its force with present usage of dvr's selective viewing. This is not Egypt in the Arab Spring so social media does not contain the impact except for the diehard practitioners who have a tendency to place too much credit on it. The other factor will be those removed from the voting rolls by attrition. God help the election officials when the voter starts screaming that they have the right to vote, are being prohibited from it only because they voted 10 yrs ago, have not since, and what do you mean they are not registered to vote. Am saddened when reflecting on the millions who through blood, sweat, their very lives have sacrificed from WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, and all the current actions in the middle east so that the franchise of voting can be preserved and protected. At great national expense we export our ideals of democratic determinism only to have our own people treat it in a cavalier fashion. Every university, college, secondary school should have a political science society for the purpose of exploring the process and the potential for future advancement by peaceful methods. If none of the candidates appeal to you as stellar, pick one because those are today's choices. If you feel strongly enough about it, next time take out the nominating petitions and have a go at it yourself.

posted by Mariner on Oct 31, 2015 at 07:03:39 am     #

Very good points mariner.

I never had even thought about the one time voters on Issue 3 having an impact on the rest of the election. If I had to call it, I think those voters would lean towards Bell or Ferner.

Very important statements you made about the importance of getting out there and voting. Given the state of the world today, by voting, we can make a difference, even in a local election. It starts at home.

Bravo mariner.

posted by foodie88 on Oct 31, 2015 at 09:12:56 am     #

fink - 27
bell - 25
phh - 20
sdc - 17
fern - 6
opal - 5

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Oct 31, 2015 at 10:27:39 am     #

somebody should pass out Doritos at the polling places.

posted by justread on Oct 31, 2015 at 11:03:15 am     #

Unfotunately, I see Carty winning. He was highly visible during his campaign and he's got tons of voter recognition. Bell will come in a close second. Spang will be a surprise third.

Carty 23%
Bell 22%
Spang 17%
Hicks-Hudson 16%
Drabik-Collins 13%
Ferner 8%
Opal 1%

I think ~45,000 votes will be cast for Mayor.

posted by WestToledoan on Oct 31, 2015 at 02:01:43 pm     #

If it wasn't for the Marijuana thing going on I would guess about 23000 votes total.

posted by MIJeff on Oct 31, 2015 at 02:20:25 pm     #

completely left spang out.... operator error

fink - 24
bell - 21
phh - 18
s&s - 14
sdc - 12
fern - 6
opal - 5

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Nov 01, 2015 at 10:37:56 pm     #

I love all of these precise numbers.

Depending on which set I read and believe, I might as well stay home.

posted by Bandito on Nov 01, 2015 at 11:07:20 pm     #

Some of these earlier numbers might have to be re-thought with yesterdays announcement of giving back 1/2 his salary to get the job done by Carty. He can be accused of buying the election with a huge rebate to the citizens of Toledo but wow. Looks like he is the guy he has been telling us he is... the genuine article.

posted by Mariner on Nov 02, 2015 at 06:12:35 am     #

Bandito posted at 11:07:20 PM on Nov 01, 2015:

I love all of these precise numbers.

Depending on which set I read and believe, I might as well stay home.

You must be grand fun at parties.

Listen: instead of just being a gratuitous, snarky a-hole, why not participate? Offer up your thoughts and projections.

Or are you just a troll by nature?

posted by historymike on Nov 02, 2015 at 07:59:48 am     #

historymike posted at 07:59:48 AM on Nov 02, 2015:
Bandito posted at 11:07:20 PM on Nov 01, 2015:

I love all of these precise numbers.

Depending on which set I read and believe, I might as well stay home.

You must be grand fun at parties.

Or are you just a troll by nature?

Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning?

posted by madjack on Nov 02, 2015 at 09:00:24 am     #

Am I the only one who looks at this and thinks, damn, this is depressing?

I honestly am not excited about ANY of these folks running. Yeah, I'm worried about having Carty 3.0, and I fear that's what we're going to get. I don't think the city can afford him -- every person who has ever followed him as mayor has had to deal with huge budget issues.

posted by Anniecski on Nov 02, 2015 at 09:03:54 am     #

Dr. you got me to thinking, I smelled wood burning, it's been such a long bland contest we might as well have some fun with it. Will offer to buy a small draft happy hour priced for anyone posting with REASONS their projections and beating mine by 10% +/- with a refill for beating the top spot. Time/location determined later but need to be TT regular contributor to qualify. No late bloomers permitted save your breath. If my #'s turn out good no expectation. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to. Here goes:

34 CARTY

22 Spang

18 Bell

11 HH

6 DC

5 Fern

4 Opel

Spang has a little less than 2yrs before the mast. Carty has 12yrs @ the helm. Who do you think is more qualified to drive the boat.

posted by Mariner on Nov 02, 2015 at 09:17:36 am     #

Yeah but who keeps driving the boat into the piers and screaming obscenities at the people standing on the bank of the river?

posted by MIJeff on Nov 02, 2015 at 09:28:11 am     #

This is all interesting but I think HMs guess will be closer. I think the Carty brand is as negative to young people as it is positive to old people. I think Spang is a Beverly phenom. Not so much city-wide. I think PHH will do better than that because of the incumbency and endorsements. I think Bell can beat Carty again under these vote-splitting circumstances. But not by much.

posted by justread on Nov 02, 2015 at 09:29:11 am     #

MIJeff posted at 09:28:11 AM on Nov 02, 2015:

That was me. Sorry about that.

posted by justread on Nov 02, 2015 at 09:49:00 am     #

Solid reasoning justread. Draw down some #'s we gotta have metrics afterall if you don't measure you can't judge.

posted by Mariner on Nov 02, 2015 at 09:55:54 am     #

HM did most of the work here, but:
◦Bell: 24 percent
◦Drabik-Collins: 20 percent
◦Finkbeiner: 22 percent
◦Hicks-Hudson: 19 percent
◦Spang: 9 percent
◦Ferner: 5 percent
◦Covey: >1 percent

posted by justread on Nov 02, 2015 at 10:05:07 am     #

Here are my estimates. My reasons for posting is that I crave a beer on Mariner's tab.

PH2 - 25
Collins - 24
Bell - 22
Finkbeiner - 17
Spang - 8
Ferner - 4
Covey - 0

Btw, I prefer bottled beer.

posted by jimavolt on Nov 02, 2015 at 10:22:35 am     #

Forecasting winners is boring. Instead-lets stick each candidate into this little geek grid.

posted by ahmahler on Nov 02, 2015 at 10:35:02 am     #

Mike Bell - Chaotic good
PH2 - neutral good
Carty is absolutely perfect for chaotic evil. So perfect.
Opal Covey for lawful evil.

posted by endcycle on Nov 02, 2015 at 10:50:25 am     #

ahmahler.... great chart.

the most interesting thing about this election is how split all the traditional voting groups are and how unpredictable that makes this

union vote... Fink and PHH
republicans.... Bell and Spang
independents... Bell and SDC
protest vote... Spang and Opal
leftys... PHH and Fern
black vote... Bell and PHH
south end... Spang and Fink and SDC

Bell is located west but never strongly IDd as west.
Hispanic vote doesnt have a logical candidate ?
same with East or north ?

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Nov 02, 2015 at 11:26:51 am     #

My prediction, which I hope like hell is wrong:

Fink 25
PHH 22
Spang 20
Bell 17
Collins 11
Ferner 4
Covey 1

posted by Ace_Face on Nov 02, 2015 at 05:32:09 pm     #

justread posted at 09:49:00 AM on Nov 02, 2015:
MIJeff posted at 09:28:11 AM on Nov 02, 2015:

That was me. Sorry about that.

I don't think that shouting, "Show us your tits!" counts as an obscenity.

posted by madjack on Nov 02, 2015 at 05:41:52 pm     #

Carty ran The Jinx Ship on to so many sandbars I've lost count. Put at the helm again and we'll hit a reef.

Here's my prediction, for what it's worth:
PH2 35% - She's the incumbent, and the moonbats will march in lock-step formation to defeat the evil wingnuts.
Carty 30% - mainly because if they don't vote for PH2, they'll vote for Carty. Most of Carty's votes will come as a sort of protest against the moonbats and PH2.
Collins 15% - Name recognition, and because people really want someone who is not PH2, Carty or Bell.
Bell 15% - no party affiliation will hurt him on this one, as will the recent mud-slinging rumor, but the hose draggers are likely to vote for him for budgetary reasons. I happen to like Bell and think he's a good sort of fellow, but I don't think he does a good job as mayor.
Ferner 2% - Who? Oh yeah, what's his name.
Spang 2% - Random striking of the keys.
Opal 1% - Anyone voting for Opal will do so either as a joke, or by direction from the Powers that Be.

posted by madjack on Nov 02, 2015 at 06:00:15 pm     #

Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning?

! posted by madjack on Nov 02, 2015 at 09:00:24 am

Nobody pissed in his Wheaties--certainly not I. The term "special snowflake" comes to mind.

posted by Bandito on Nov 02, 2015 at 08:00:33 pm     #

Bandito posted at 08:00:33 PM on Nov 02, 2015:
Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning?

! posted by madjack on Nov 02, 2015 at 09:00:24 am

Heh - trolling is almost an art form with you. Carry on.

posted by historymike on Nov 02, 2015 at 08:41:02 pm     #

This one's a page turner. Only the shadow knows for sure. Too many factors and variables until the last hanging chad is counted.

posted by Mariner on Nov 02, 2015 at 08:46:18 pm     #

BTW kick it in there jr.

posted by Mariner on Nov 02, 2015 at 08:48:06 pm     #

You call me an asshole, but I'm "trolling." Right.

posted by Bandito on Nov 02, 2015 at 08:50:03 pm     #

I have no idea who is going to win, but I am certain Toledo is going to lose.

posted by JoeyGee on Nov 02, 2015 at 09:02:45 pm     #

Finkbeiner: 20
Bell: 15
Collins: 15
Drabik: 10
Bell: 10
Hicks-Hudson: 10
Spang: 10
Ferner: 10
Covey: 0

Only about 23,000 will even turn out to vote.

posted by MIJeff on Nov 02, 2015 at 10:49:43 pm     #

Oops had Bell in there twice,

Finkbeiner: 20

PHH 22
Bell 20
Collins 15
Spang 14
Ferner 5
Covey 1

Fink by a nose, but it's too close to call, so it'll be a photo finish.

posted by 6th_Floor on Nov 03, 2015 at 01:09:28 am     #

Bandito posted at 08:50:03 PM on Nov 02, 2015:

You call me an asshole, but I'm "trolling." Right.

They are not mutually exclusive.

posted by justread on Nov 03, 2015 at 05:30:24 am     #

justread posted at 05:30:24 AM on Nov 03, 2015:
Bandito posted at 08:50:03 PM on Nov 02, 2015:

You call me an asshole, but I'm "trolling." Right.

They are not mutually exclusive.

Plus 1.

posted by madjack on Nov 03, 2015 at 07:25:39 am     #

I think Carty's numbers tonight might surprise people. It seems voters are either "anybody BUT Carty" or "NOBODY but Carty".

MIJeff, I'm confused by your numbers...... are you giving Drabik-Collins 25 % ?

posted by foodie88 on Nov 03, 2015 at 08:01:54 am     #

Polls are open, let the festivities begin. I do not have a dog in this fight, but will affect me in other ways. This horse race is going to be very close !

posted by Hoops on Nov 03, 2015 at 08:05:32 am     #

foodie88 posted at 08:01:54 AM on Nov 03, 2015:

MIJeff, I'm confused by your numbers...... are you giving Drabik-Collins 25 % ?

I'm not a voter so didn't realize was same person

posted by MIJeff on Nov 03, 2015 at 08:34:59 am     #

What I do know is, I better wire my jaw shut today. Between the leftover Halloween candy, and the bake sales at the polls, I have zero willpower.

posted by foodie88 on Nov 03, 2015 at 08:47:30 am     #

As reported by WTOL, turnout is around 30%. Should be in the high 30's maybe 40% when counting absentee and provisional ballots.

posted by WestToledoan on Nov 03, 2015 at 06:23:01 pm     #

WestToledoan posted at 06:23:01 PM on Nov 03, 2015:

Oh, boy! Anything is possible - especially for the union backed candidates. Let us never forget the manufactured votes that were magically "found" that put Contrada in the LCC seat that Sarantou won.

posted by Foodie on Nov 03, 2015 at 08:34:52 pm     #

Oh boy, I had forgotten all about that scenario.
I would like to see Sarantou run for mayor someday, he's got the skills, I think he would be a good candidate.

posted by foodie88 on Nov 03, 2015 at 08:50:02 pm     #

with 30% reporting... all depends which precincts report first obviously but...

phh 37
bell 17
fink 15
sdc 15
spang 9

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Nov 03, 2015 at 10:20:40 pm     #

well, it looks like madjack by and large nailed the numbers if not exactly the voter sentiments that drove the numbers.

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Nov 04, 2015 at 07:42:52 am     #

While I would have definitely preferred Mike Bell, I'm not distressed over P2H's victory. Her standing with me shot up exponentially when she stood behind Santiago.
That said, if she now just focuses on doing the union's bidding like most other elected D's, my opinion of her will change.

posted by Foodie on Nov 04, 2015 at 09:20:17 am     #

enjoyeverysandwich posted at 07:42:52 AM on Nov 04, 2015:

Thank you, Mr. Sandwich.

posted by madjack on Nov 04, 2015 at 09:55:12 am     #

The lack of support for Finkbeiner partially restored my faith in humanity. I would have liked to have seen Bell win, but PHH seems fairly competent.

posted by ahmahler on Nov 04, 2015 at 10:04:33 am     #

You'll Do Better

Bets? I'm taking 12 to 7 against.

As the illustrious Mr. Sandwich observed earlier, my bourbon bottle crystal ball might have a crack in it, but I managed five out of seven. I congratulate myself, and look down my proboscis at the rest of you mere mortals.

Sock PuppetCountPrcntPrediction
Paula Hicks-Hudson2241135.45%35%
Michael P. Bell1099217.39%15%
Carty Finkbeiner997315.77%30%
Sandy Drabik Collins926514.65%15%
Sandy Spang692310.95%2%
Mike Ferner31374.96%2%
Opal Covey5230.83%1%

I thought Carty would do a little better - okay, a lot better, but I guess the sunny side of The Bell Curve has had enough of him. Or maybe his advertising was bad. Sandy Spang did a lot better than I thought she would, but then I didn't know who Sandy Spang was until just now when I looked her up on the web. Too bad - she's kind of a hottie, and has a decent list of accomplishments. I called what's his name close enough for government work, and Opal? Well, you can't trust the BOE, that's for sure.

One way or another, I think I deserve a shot out of this deal.

posted by madjack on Nov 04, 2015 at 10:24:16 am     #

ahmahler posted at 10:04:33 AM on Nov 04, 2015:

I was also relieved to see Carty roundly rejected. Not crazy about PHH, but better than the Fink.

posted by Ace_Face on Nov 04, 2015 at 10:24:23 am     #

I can't tell you how pleased I am to have been wrong predicting a Czarty win. The old fool was on the corner of Suder and Ottawa River last evening when I was heading home. Cell phone glued to his ear, kept stepping into the street (it was well past dusk) waiving to cars speeding by with a couple of bouncer types behind him waiving "Carty" signs. I let out a big sigh as I drove past feeling certain we were in for Czarty 3. Glad that didn't come to fruition.

posted by Foodie on Nov 04, 2015 at 10:39:35 am     #

Yes, congrats to madjack! Not only did he correctly predict the winner, but he accurately nailed PHH's strong margin of victory. I thought this would be a much closer race, and the PHH victory borders on a mandate, at least as much of a mandate that is possible in a 7-person race.

I thought more Dems would spread out to other candidates, but the party must have really got its act together to promote the "official" candidate.

Also surprised Carty did not poll higher: in my neighborhood his signs were everywhere.

posted by historymike on Nov 04, 2015 at 12:25:52 pm     #

You've Been Warned

I didn't find this until today. Now she tells us.

posted by madjack on Nov 04, 2015 at 01:07:35 pm     #

More importantly, does Mariner owe me a beer for my PH2 prediction?

posted by jimavolt on Nov 04, 2015 at 02:53:46 pm     #

And a refill.

posted by justread on Nov 04, 2015 at 03:16:07 pm     #

Well the smoke has finally cleared from election day and congrats to Paula with best wishes for the next couple years. A good presentation by all the candidates who we can all agree are top notch Toledoans.

Payoff @ Shawn's Back Door 4400 Heatherdowns and Key Toledo 5:30 Friday 11/6. Will be the distinguished gentleman in white shirt tie with sailboats on it and in the back. All are welcome to join but only the posters Madjack, Jim qualified for freebies. Please intro yourself anyway you choose. Welcome aboard.

posted by Mariner on Nov 05, 2015 at 10:23:31 am     #

^^^Like.

posted by Anniecski on Nov 05, 2015 at 12:07:22 pm     #

^^^Double Like.

I haven't been to Shawn's in a long time, but unless the place has changed it's just the right venue for this kind of thing.

I'll be wearing an electric purple shirt, holding a yellow rose in my teeth and singing La Cucaracha. By way of recognition, you see.

Are any of you other political commentators going to make it?

posted by madjack on Nov 05, 2015 at 02:53:45 pm     #

I considered going. But saying I'm bandito.

posted by justread on Nov 05, 2015 at 03:06:32 pm     #

Damn. Now I have to go as MIJeff.

posted by justread on Nov 05, 2015 at 03:07:14 pm     #

Yes! A costume party! I'm going as SensorG.

posted by madjack on Nov 05, 2015 at 03:11:37 pm     #

Will be looking for you as the lady in red.

posted by Mariner on Nov 05, 2015 at 04:10:29 pm     #

i will show up as anonymous coward if i come

posted by MIJeff on Nov 05, 2015 at 08:07:17 pm     #

If Johnny Rod is playing, I might have to reinstall my Uber app.

posted by Solleks on Nov 05, 2015 at 11:06:27 pm     #

Thanks for the kind invite Mariner. Have to take a rain check; am traveling today. Have a good time. Jim

posted by jimavolt on Nov 06, 2015 at 08:27:16 am     #

Hey-hey! Solleks - drop in for a cold one and bring Ripper with you. I'll buy the bar food for him.

posted by madjack on Nov 06, 2015 at 10:47:09 am     #

Boy, this is a tempting event. I live nearby - might stop by for a quick one.

posted by endcycle on Nov 06, 2015 at 03:00:20 pm     #

endcycle posted at 03:00:20 PM on Nov 06, 2015:

Boy, this is a tempting event. I live nearby - might stop by for a quick one.

Stop by. I've wanted to meet you ever since I came within a whisker of getting run over by a redneck in a pickup truck early this summer.

Neck: I didn't see you.

Mad Jack: So if you had seen me, your aim would have been better? What kind of special stupid are you, anyway?

posted by madjack on Nov 06, 2015 at 04:21:52 pm     #

I'm here...where is everyone?

posted by SensorG on Nov 06, 2015 at 05:40:37 pm     #

They threw me out when you told them I didn't have any money.

posted by madjack on Nov 06, 2015 at 08:04:20 pm     #

I told them you were a pervert and they didn't care.

posted by justread on Nov 06, 2015 at 08:58:59 pm     #

justread posted at 08:58:59 PM on Nov 06, 2015:

I told them you were a pervert and they didn't care.

Of course they didn't care. Anyway, consider the source, and how would you know, anyway?

Mariner made good on his offer and then some. Present were Mariner, Trilby, SensorG and yours truly, Mad Jack, live and in person.

Given that the rest of you lame-ohs decided to boycott the event because of some unsubstantiated, pernicious comment by a ToledoTalk user who shall remain anonymous (or for your own psychotic reasons), well... there's always next time.

posted by madjack on Nov 07, 2015 at 02:55:13 pm     #

Schedule another one for next week!

I'll be back from Florida then!

:-)

posted by shamrock44 on Nov 07, 2015 at 04:22:31 pm     #

how would you know, anyway?

At the time, it was a guess. :D

posted by justread on Nov 07, 2015 at 07:41:13 pm     #