Bike to the Bay

I know there are a lot of cyclists on this board. Anyone here ever done Bike to the Bay? Do most people do the entire 200 miles or just one day?

My boyfriend and I are considering it but the amount is pretty pricy. It's $100 each to just register and then we have to raise $300 each minimum with a promise to pay if we don't raise that amount.

I feel $300 is a lot of money, especially with a $100 registration fee and will discourage many from riding.

If I'm already paying a $100 registration fee I don't feel I should be guaranteeing that if I don't collect $300 I'll make up the difference.

created by classylady on Jun 14, 2016 at 12:46:01 am     Comments: 11

I have rode a few times but it has been several years since. At that point it was not that expensive. Sounds like they increased the price significantly to ride. There was always a sort of "minimum" amount to raise with a promise to pay.

That being said, it is a mix. If nothing has changed since I participated the 75 mile route was the most popular with the more serious riders doing the 100 mile route. I will also say that there are a lot of riders who just go one way, go to put in bay, and do not ride back. That being said, you will not be alone if you ride back the next day either plenty of people ride both ways.

posted by glasscityguy on Jun 14, 2016 at 11:29:26 am     #

The collecting $300 is the actual event. The bike riding is somewhat secondary.

posted by justread on Jun 14, 2016 at 11:43:54 am     #   1 person liked this

I was thinking of doing the 75 one way and just crashing at put and bay and getting a ride back the next day but am scared the weather could be nasty. I can handle it with weather like we've had the past couple days but no way could I handle doing it in the kind of heat we had Saturday.

I thought the $300 minimum was pretty high myself. I'm assuming it is a pledge people pay regardless of how many miles you ride unlike the March of Dimes where they pay per mile actually walked. I'd be able to raise $300 but know that would be hard for some people and could see it discouraging some from doing it. I'd also be concerned about getting a large pledge and the person not paying and being stuck personally making it.

Why is the registration fee so high???? I see there is an additional fee if you want a t-shirt or water bottle. You are getting no t-shirt, no water bottle, no lodging and it looks like it is all volunteers and I'm sure if lunch is provided it's donated food and labor. I think it's ridiculous to have a mandatory $100 fee to participate in a fund raiser that you are guaranteeing that at least $300 in funds will be raised.

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 14, 2016 at 12:15:47 pm     #

...this is a charity event. The funds go to charity. If you don't want to do it, don't do it.

posted by endcycle on Jun 14, 2016 at 12:18:20 pm     #   3 people liked this

My friend's husband has been riding the 75 mile route each day for almost 20 years. She says that he gets a lot of food each day, gets to ride the Jet Express for free, gets into all bars for free (at PIB). There are multiple food stops on Saturday/Sunday, while riding, plus they are served food in Port Clinton after they are done riding on Saturday, breakfast on Sunday, and when they are all done they have chicken dinners at the finish line. She said that they tent camp at a school in Port Clinton.

posted by llz on Jun 14, 2016 at 12:26:51 pm     #   2 people liked this

Are there volunteers the drive rider's supplies (i.e. a change of clothes and shower supplies) to Port Clinton? I know if I did it I would be wanting to shower and change right after and head to PIB to relax and have fun and don't want to be carrying a backpack of supplies with me on the bike.

I'm assuming there will be volunteers to assist with things like flat tires or if someone gets injured or just realizes they can't complete the ride and need a ride back?

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 14, 2016 at 12:36:14 pm     #

You know, if you wanna do a ride that's free... there's a pubride saturday, kicking off downtown @ the Attic at like 730 or 8.

posted by endcycle on Jun 14, 2016 at 01:17:45 pm     #

The Pubride sounds fun but this is the first I heard about it and I have plans for a Mudhens game for Saturday.

The Metroparks also do bike rides during the summer and there is the monthly TMOA ride looks interesting but not sure how long of a ride that is.

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 14, 2016 at 03:37:02 pm     #

If you feel irked by the fee, do some research about the organization. If a high percentage of every dollar they take it goes to salaries within the organization, maybe it isn't worth it. On the other hand, if it seems like they are keeping costs down and seem fiscally sound, the fee isn't that bad.

posted by hockeyfan on Jun 14, 2016 at 04:32:01 pm     #

A group of us from work used to ride every year. We used to get a few kick-in donations from some local companies that greatly offset the costs to ride and our usual upgrade to a local hotel. After those donations dried up, we relied on ourselves and on the kindness of some family members to help us reach our fundraising goals.

The fundraising part is never fun...but...we always had a great time. We rode as fast as we could for as long as we could. When the engines started to sputter, we'd stop along the way at one of the rest stops. The ride is incredibly well supported. Every stop usually had a maintenance area, snacks, fruit, hydration, shelter, ice and first aid. The lunch stop was well stocked with all of the above as well as a host of assorted sandwiches. The brownie stop had...brownies. Big, delicious ones. You burned of the excess anyways.

Support vehicles troll the course the entire time. Hot showers and a spaghetti dinner awaited your arrival. Your bags and tents were delivered and always easily located. The Jet Express was right nearby to get you to the Bay for a few hours of extreme hydration. The real price to pay for the whole event is the grueling ride home after a night of excess.

I look forward to doing it again when the home life slows down a bit. I'd like to believe that at several levels, MS patient outcomes have improved as a result of the research that we played a very small part in funding.

On a side note...an apology. We always tried to be courteous as we wore shirts identifying our employer. Occasionally, we might have startled you as we zipped past. We always tried our best to advise that we were coming up quickly and to give you a wide berth.

ON YOUR LEFT!

If that warning got lost in crosswinds...sorry.

posted by Solleks on Jun 14, 2016 at 05:20:52 pm     #   2 people liked this

jamesteroh posted at 03:37:02 PM on Jun 14, 2016:

Look up Toledo Pubriders on Facebook and follow for future events. Ahmahler and I make it to most, sometimes with wives and often with a bunch of strangers that we become friends with by the end of the night.

posted by endcycle on Jun 14, 2016 at 08:29:55 pm     #