Toll cost between Toledo and Chicago

I know this is a petty question but can anyone tell me the total cost of tolls between Toledo and downtown Chicago? Going to a work conference in a couple of weeks and I was just curious how much cash to have on hand since I rarely carry cash anymore.

created by daddyg on Jun 16, 2016 at 09:08:08 am     Other     Comments: 17

1. Get an EZPass. It saves money and time, even if the NSA can track your every move.

2. It will depend on the roads you travel.

3. I went to the O'Hare area last month, and looking at my EZPass statement, it says the Chicago SkyWay was $4.50, and a couple of other interchanges at "York" and "Irving Park" were $0.75.

posted by JohnnyMac on Jun 16, 2016 at 09:24:58 am     #

I 100% second the notion of getting an EZpass. In addition to the money it saves, it makes the commute sooooooooo much more convienent.

Take it from someone that's made the commute over 200 times in the past three years! 😭😩😁

posted by upso on Jun 16, 2016 at 09:40:37 am     #   1 person liked this

Drove to Chicago couple weeks ago. It cost me a little over $10.00 one way with the EZ pass. Didn't do the Skyway, went around the south side on 80, and came up 365 and had to paid those tolls.

posted by drunkenwildmage on Jun 16, 2016 at 09:48:34 am     #

Here is my guesstimate: Assuming a car. Assuming getting on I-80 in Maumee. Assuming you take the entire Indiana Toll Road and the skyway bridge. Assuming you do not have an EZ Pass:

Ohio: $4.50
Indiana: $10.20
Skyway: $4.50
Total: $19.20

EZ Pass:
Ohio: $3.00
Indiana: $4.65
Skyway: $4.50 plus .03 fee for EZ pass per transaction.
Total: $12.18

posted by justread on Jun 16, 2016 at 09:51:05 am     #   1 person liked this

Its about $20 in cash each way, depending on your final destination. I fourth the EZ Pass suggestion. Even if you keep it for a year and never use it again, you'll still save money.

posted by swampprof on Jun 16, 2016 at 10:11:36 am     #

Thanks! EZ Pass wins!

posted by daddyg on Jun 16, 2016 at 10:19:29 am     #

What's the best way to GET an EZ Pass if I don't feel like heading to a turnpike location?

posted by endcycle on Jun 16, 2016 at 10:25:45 am     #

justread comment:

Assuming you do not have an EZ Pass:

Ohio: $4.50
Indiana: $10.20

Indiana's regular toll fee has more than doubled in eight years.

Late last decade when I drove to DeKalb often, I paid the following regular tolls:

• Ohio = $2.75
  • Indiana = $4.15

When Indiana implemented iZoom (renamed E-ZPass), and Ohio implemened E-ZPass, both states increased the costs of their regular toll fees by approximately the same percentage as the savings with E-ZPass.

Kind of like a business increasing the cost of a widget by 20 percent and then offering a coupon for 20 percent off to attract bargain hunters.

Eventually, I purchased an iZoom to enjoy the "savings" but that damn thing charged me a small monthly fee even if I didn't use the toll road. I don't know if that's still the case with today's E-ZPass.

If you drive the toll roads many times a year, then an E-ZPass makes sense. But if rarely, then I don't see the point. For me, it became one more bullshit thing to maintain: account, password, credit card, etc. And that's fine if you are a heavy user of the turnpike.

But since now I rarely drive the turnpike in either direction because I prefer to go north, I don't own an E-ZPass. F*ck the NSA :) that will probably get me added to a no-fly list. i'm investing in pack mules.

posted by jr on Jun 16, 2016 at 10:39:38 am     #   2 people liked this

Once the initial bond was paid off that financed it I believe the OH turnpike was supposed to be free of charge for all of us about a decade ago. I still harbor a slight resentment about that and try to avoid using the toll road whenever possible. Seriously - there are so many times heading East or West I wonder why its automatically assumed the OH Turnpike needs to be taken. I can use Route 2 or Route 20 heading East and route 20 or other options heading West if not for the entire length of the trip often most of it.

Here's the logic I can't escape....
I bought a Prius to save on Auto cost. On a normal round trip to Chicago I save 8 gallons of gas compared to a similar non-hybrid vehicle.

At $2.40 per gallon that saved $19.20 on fuel.

If I do not have EZ pass why pay almost $30 round trip to Chicago for Ohio and Indiana? - that blows 150% of my gas savings out the window to the toll collector...
If I do have the EZ pass the toll road eats up 80% of the money I saved on gas...

But... I do have a flexible schedule and 45 minutes or even a couple hours round trip is ok with me - not for everyone. I also like the adventure of getting off the pretty bland turnpike - again, not for everyone.

posted by Danneskjold on Jun 16, 2016 at 10:43:36 am     #

that will probably get me added to a no-fly list. i'm investing in pack mules.

"He was a nice neighbor. Very quiet. Sort of studious, I guess. Seemed smart. We never expected anything like this. Of course, the pack mules were a bit odd, but our friend in Maumee has chickens, so it was not that out of the realm..."

posted by justread on Jun 16, 2016 at 10:57:14 am     #   1 person liked this

daddyg posted at 10:19:29 AM on Jun 16, 2016:

Thanks! EZ Pass wins!

In anticipation of a trip to Wisconsin, I researched the best state to get an EZPass from and determined that Massachusetts is the cheapest - no monthly or annual fee, you can have two transponders on an account for a deposit of $20 (so I don't have to move one transponder between my two cars, depending on which one I'm driving); I think if the account goes below $10, they charge my credit card to get it back to $20. It took almost two weeks to get them in the mail, so plan accordingly.

I found driving through/around Chicago very interesting - while Ohio has gate entries that you have to slow down for, Chicago has a system that catches your transponder when your doing 70 mph - no slowing down necessary.

I actually use EZPass more than I thought I would - I even hop on the turnpike at 795 when driving North from Columbus in order to avoid the posted detour from N75 to N475 closure, in order to get home quicker.

posted by MsArcher on Jun 16, 2016 at 11:56:35 am     #

We encountered several of these on the east coast as well. It's very nice.

At certain times of day (before all this construction started), we found it was often faster to get to Maumee from west Toledo by way of 75S to Perrysburg and jumping on the turnpike the rest of the way. I wouldn't try it now, though.

I recall hearing that when I worked for a road construction company in the mid/late 90s, right around the time they started adding third lanes across the state and redoing all of the plazas. I remember it because someone was griping about the fact that those third lanes weren't necessary in some stretches, and someone in the company commented that it was justification for keeping the tolls. No idea if that information is even remotely accurate--it's just something that was overheard at work.

posted by valbee on Jun 16, 2016 at 12:13:59 pm     #

+1 on the Ezpass, but I would buy an I-pass from Illinois instead of an Ohio EZpass

It works on all the Ohio tollways and other tollways EZpass does but Ohio has some fees involved, there are no fees with Ipass.

Saves a lot of time as well as having cheaper fares

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 16, 2016 at 01:13:37 pm     #

Whatever information may be collected by EX Pass and provided to the NSA would be miniscule compared to license plate scanning data collected routinely by police and by private companies. This info, which tells where you and I have been driving, is available for purchase by anyone who is willing to pay for it. Mostly the info is bought by insurance companies.

posted by MariaL on Jun 16, 2016 at 04:21:37 pm     #

Actually your smart phone tracks everywhere you go.

posted by SensorG on Jun 16, 2016 at 05:56:02 pm     #

Your smartphone can't track you if you deactivate the GPS on it (although they can still tell which cell tower you are near if you make a call).

posted by Mike21 on Jun 16, 2016 at 08:51:59 pm     #

My original comment about the NSA was (mostly) in jest, but I am enjoying the continuing conversation.

posted by JohnnyMac on Jun 16, 2016 at 09:12:32 pm     #   1 person liked this