Cost to Build New House

What is the current cost (per sq ft) to build new around here? Like Sylvania or just north into Michigan. Looking at 2,000 - 2,500 sq ft. Also how does building on your lot compare price wise to a developer's subdivision? I'm talking standard build - preferably 2 stories, unfinished basement, and basic roof designs/pitches.

created by presbacon on Mar 06, 2017 at 04:30:19 pm     Comments: 18

You can use this link to get some basic idea on price

posted by OldTimer on Mar 06, 2017 at 05:11:41 pm     #

I design houses in this area... lots of variables.
A subdivision lot will have your utilities pretty much ready to tap into. You will have some restrictions as to size and style of what you can to build. On your own lot you may have to run electric from the street to the house & possibly drill a well and put in a septic system. This could run 20K or more. But the liberty to build what you want - within the code. Depends on the lot and services that are available.

Cost-wise - you can count on $130-150 per square foot for basic quality. Some in the area will say they are less - do your homework and go thru houses they have built and check the quality. There are talented builders in the area that build quality houses for good prices. Every builder is different, I suggest doing your homework and get at least three bids when you are at that point.

posted by SJD on Mar 06, 2017 at 07:38:27 pm     #

I built in a subdivision in Michigan. I paid roughly $115 per square foot for a 2398 square foot home with 3 car garage and unfinished basement.

Most of the upgrades that I paid for were structural upgrades, kitchen upgrades and master bath upgrades.

posted by justphillips on Mar 06, 2017 at 07:59:06 pm     #

justphillips posted at 06:59:06 PM on Mar 06, 2017:

How long ago was that?

posted by wahhutch9 on Mar 06, 2017 at 09:06:51 pm     #

Started in March of 2016, moved in by December 2017

posted by justphillips on Mar 06, 2017 at 10:15:15 pm     #

***EDIT***
December 2016

posted by justphillips on Mar 06, 2017 at 10:15:43 pm     #

Congrats on the new home. That seems like a good price per square foot, especially so recent... was it Wehrle?

posted by wahhutch9 on Mar 07, 2017 at 07:31:16 am     #

OldTimer posted at 04:11:41 PM on Mar 06, 2017:

You can use this link to get some basic idea on price

The calculator is telling me something like $85/sq ft. Guess SJD is trying to upsell me already ;)

justphillips - I assume the $115 was just for the structure or did you lump in land in that?

posted by presbacon on Mar 07, 2017 at 10:27:32 am     #

Presbacon - Like I said - lots of variables.
Builder. Design of the house. Production or Custom. Your personal choices in materials. Or maybe just preparing you for the upsell and change orders... lol.

I don't think you would like the quality of what $85 per SF gets you in this area.

posted by SJD on Mar 07, 2017 at 11:07:32 am     #

I have never heard of using $85 per SF in any area. I know many people that have built in this area and family members all over the country. I would say $105-150 per sq. ft.

$105 being more of the cookie cutter approach and $150 being the custom approach with upgraded materials.

Friend who is building in Whitehouse is at about $125. They move in April 1, 2017.

posted by Xbuckeyex on Mar 07, 2017 at 11:25:58 am     #

Xbuckeyex posted at 10:25:58 AM on Mar 07, 2017:

Yes I didn't believe it either. I've used those online calculators in the past and don't trust them. I was looking for actual examples, much like has been provided here. Thanks guys.

posted by presbacon on Mar 07, 2017 at 12:08:34 pm     #

Do these examples include land in the cost per sq ft?

posted by presbacon on Mar 07, 2017 at 12:53:57 pm     #

presbacon posted at 11:53:57 AM on Mar 07, 2017:

Do these examples include land in the cost per sq ft?

Mine included land but I'm in a developement. Like mentioned above, you could say my home would qualify under a cookie cutter home as there were around 12 floor plans to choose from with about 7 different elevations per floor plan. Not much structural changes were allowed outside of those options.

posted by justphillips on Mar 07, 2017 at 02:35:28 pm     #

I just looked up the prices again to build in our neighborhood and prices just increased by around $40,000 or roughly an additional $15 per square foot. They mentioned to me that they would be increasing the prices in 2016 and 2017, I signed my contract in December of 2015.

posted by justphillips on Mar 07, 2017 at 02:43:17 pm     #

One big expense I forgot to mention that wasn't covered in my contract for that price is landscaping. For the subdivisions landscape requirements I have been quoted anywhere from $8000 to $12000. Subdivision requires all homes to have an irrigation system with SOD installation and landscape beautification with trees / shrubs / etc...

posted by justphillips on Mar 07, 2017 at 03:00:50 pm     #

Soooo. we are getting back to that $130+ per SF....
No upselling. ;-) Just sayin....

posted by SJD on Mar 07, 2017 at 05:28:02 pm     #

Just had a friend build a "semi-custom" in perrysburg. About $160/sf. 1,700 sf. Upgraded finishes.

posted by slowsol on Mar 07, 2017 at 07:02:30 pm     #

Everyone I've spoken with who has built their own home has one thing in common: They all wish they hadn't done it. Incidental costs add up until you're trying to decide between a drain pipe, a fifth of bourbon, and braces for the kids - and the liquor wins. Builders fail to follow the architectural plans and install fixtures incorrectly. One lady told me she had a sliding glass door to the patio installed upside-down and backwards (meaning the outside of the door was facing the inside of the house), and the builders refused to listen to her. Attorneys got involved, and the problem was eventually fixed.

One architect I met at the bar told me about a few unusual requests from clients. One guy wanted a large hole in his garage ceiling, a sort of sky light, so that he could look down into the garage from the bedroom. Another guy wanted a tower with a turret on the top of it. Height: 150 feet. Another couple wanted a balcony off a third floor bedroom with a diving pool under it, so that they could just dive into the pool from the balcony without having to bother with the stairs.

None of these fantasies were ever built, mainly due to financial constraints and zoning restrictions.

The thought that occurred to me was resale value. Given unlimited funds (think $400 million dollar lottery), I'm fairly certain that I could come up with a walled enclave that I, personally, would find comfortable. Trying to sell my little slice of paradise ten years later would be something else again.

posted by madjack on Mar 08, 2017 at 04:55:37 pm     #