What's on the Easter Menu?

Foodies of TT, please advise. I have no taste for ham this year (combination of salt and fat avoidance) and I can't think of what else to build an Easter feast around. I saw Turduckens at Sautter's ... but I'm not inspired to go down that road at this time. Would some of you share your menu plans? Many thanks.

created by viola on Apr 12, 2017 at 10:11:48 pm     Food     Comments: 11

Well... First we're having HAM... Baked Picnic on Sunday, then the through the week, Ham and escalloped potatoes, Ham Sandwiches, 15 Bean Soup... Ham Salad... Ham/Eggs... And I think that may be it....

posted by rch101 on Apr 12, 2017 at 11:19:47 pm     #

How about a roast leg of lamb? Fresh Market had some beauties in the case the other day.

Or, if you still want pork but want to avoid the fat and salt, try a pork tenderloin - cooks in about 20 minutes - or some boneless pork loin chops.

I've also seen some good looking "prime" rib around town.

posted by Foodie on Apr 13, 2017 at 08:41:27 am     #

Lamb is a great suggestion.

I would suggest beef tenderloin also -

This article will turn you into a pro.

posted by endcycle on Apr 13, 2017 at 09:37:01 am     #

Hawaiian pizza

posted by westsidebob on Apr 13, 2017 at 09:37:35 am     #

I'm going out to brunch with friends, but if I was cooking, I'd make this Stracotto with garlic and pancetta, aka Italian red wine pot roast. Start the marinade tonight, braise it Saturday, reheat and serve it Sunday. Make enough for leftovers. It's a bit of work but well worth it.

posted by suz on Apr 13, 2017 at 11:17:04 am     #

Oh, man - those three beautiful rare slices of tenderloin literally caused my mouth to water.......

posted by Foodie on Apr 13, 2017 at 11:20:39 am     #

reminds me.... get some sausage at Stanley's !!

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Apr 13, 2017 at 12:43:43 pm     #

Boyfriend and I are going out instead of getting together with the family this year.

Man do I miss Timko's on Easter, best buffet I ever had.

We are either going to go to Granite City or Packo's. Packo's has a good Sunday brunch buffet that is quite reasonable and they are adding Easter items like ham.

Two of my nephews are coming over later in the day and we will probably just order Home Slice for dinner

posted by classylady on Apr 13, 2017 at 01:30:45 pm     #

We are partying and picnicing overnight at the Caretakers Cottage at Oak Openings. We always try to hit a park for our Spring Celebration. I usually make eggrolls but this year we are grilling and drinking. All hail the Metroparks for branching out into camping and alcohol! :)

posted by nana on Apr 14, 2017 at 10:50:26 am     #

Ham, Kielbasa and sauerkraut , Devilled Eggs, blessed eggs from mass, hashbrowns/potatoes of some sort, a lamb cake (cake in the shape of a lamb), kolichkis, and some sort of spiced wine...

posted by mennell on Apr 14, 2017 at 04:29:04 pm     #

Blast from the past! I didn't know people still made lamb cakes. As I recall, it used to be a sturdy carrotcake-type batter with coconut frosting for that fluffy, lamb-y look. Enjoy!

posted by viola on Apr 14, 2017 at 10:38:00 pm     #