Downtown projects progress and questions/discussion

-Its been a couple of years now.....anyone heard or know of plans or progress on the proposed small entertainment venue that is to be opened next to the Huntington Center? Havent heard so much as a peep about it. Seems like it took a backseat to Hensville.

-Any whispers as to a potential plan for a major renovation to the Seagate Centre? I know a study was conducted with renovations being recommended, with the spotlight being on adding a ballroom. Anything more?

- Has the Park Hotel announced any renovations? Golly, I imagine it could use some....we need that place to be at its best.

-Fort Industry Square.....am I missing something? How has this block been largely ignored? Would seem to be a huge target for revitalization, given the location.

-any other rumors or grumblings?

created by BulldogBuckeye on Jun 15, 2017 at 11:09:46 am     Comments: 15

What I've heard.

1. Assume you are talking about the old Key Bank building. The Mudhens were looking at some kind of music hall for concerts. I've heard the idea was scrapped due to costs.

2. The county received multiple proposals for the Hotel Seagate. My understanding is they were intending to award the development to Karp & Associates, but maybe they couldn't reach terms.

3. Do you mean the Park Hotel or the PArk Inn? The Park Inn is owned by a developer from China (I believe). The last I heard, he was unwilling to sell the building. It's too bad because it's grossly underutilized. The Park Hotel was purchased by PRomedica. They are probably in the planning stages of the rehab.

4. Fort Industry Square - Also bought by Promedica. The rumor is Promedica solicited development proposals from various local and regional developers and selected a Michigan developer to move forward with. That was early this year. Probably still working through what the real plan will be.

posted by slowsol on Jun 15, 2017 at 12:48:17 pm     #

1. Curious to find out what the alternative plans are for the old KeyBank building. Id be surprised to see it just sit there empty. FWIW, nothing in the local paper regarding scrapped plans, not that really means anything.

3. I meant the Park Inn. It IS waaay underutilized. But thanks for bringing up the Park Hotel. Forgot about that one.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jun 15, 2017 at 02:32:31 pm     #

IMO, what downtown Toledo is seriously missing from its mix is a small concert venue. Something between the size of the Huntington Center and a large bar. A place that can attract national up and comers and/or those with large regional followings. The reason I feel its critical is this: downtown needs events (in addition to hockey and baseball) to attract people and generate foot traffic and a buzz. Throw in a concert venue that can add a show or two a week, year round, and you have a great engine for further growth.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jun 15, 2017 at 02:37:35 pm     #   1 person liked this

I think that was the Mudhens intent with the Key Bank Building.

posted by slowsol on Jun 15, 2017 at 03:18:52 pm     #

IIRC, that was going to be much smaller than what I was envisioning above. The KeyBank Bldg project was going to have a lower seating capacity and not really set up for rock concerts.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jun 15, 2017 at 04:27:54 pm     #

There already was a small concert venue in Downtown Toledo. It was called Promenade Park. Had the stage and all. Bill Clinton had one of his campaign rallies there. I guess since it's gone there really wasn't a need for this type of facility.

posted by kritter on Jun 16, 2017 at 01:53:45 am     #

I believe BulldogBuckeye is referring more to the likes of the old Asylum/Club Bijou. Some great national acts played there, the size was perfect for the level of band that would play Toledo over Detroit.

posted by idinspired on Jun 16, 2017 at 08:54:25 am     #   3 people liked this

idinspired posted at 08:54:25 AM on Jun 16, 2017:

Where ARE they holding Battle of the Bands in Toledo these days?

posted by justread on Jun 16, 2017 at 10:08:58 am     #

There was a battle of the bands being held at Hollywood Casino yesterday

posted by Hoops on Jun 16, 2017 at 10:30:06 am     #

"-Again....any whispers about what in the hell they are going to do with the old hotel on the corner of Jefferson and Summit thats half demolished?"

Yeah, I'm really curious about this one too. It's been an eyesore for a while now. :(

posted by endcycle on Jun 16, 2017 at 12:41:59 pm     #

I thought it was going to be redeveloped into condos?

posted by upso on Jun 16, 2017 at 12:52:38 pm     #

Probably waiting for enough speeding ticket revenue to roll in.

posted by Foodie on Jun 16, 2017 at 12:54:54 pm     #

The county has been (or at least were, as of a couple weeks back) in talks with an area hotel operator for the Hotel Seagate, but each have had some demands that the other was unwilling to meet. I don't know if they're still negotiating, or deemed any of those sticking points to be deal breakers. I know Prater was also part of the mix of people wanting the building, but I don't know if he still is.

posted by Johio83 on Jun 16, 2017 at 01:00:39 pm     #

Plate I is identified as a participating in DORA per the flyer. I thought it was supposed to be a coffee shop?

posted by ckbeats21 on Jun 17, 2017 at 08:37:50 pm     #   1 person liked this