Removing a portable spa

Have an 8 year old portable redwood hotub on the second floor deck over the garage. Perfect working order but don't use anymore. Would like to give away but needs a crane to get off second floor deck. Any recommendations?

created by gunz1 on Jun 21, 2017 at 09:01:14 pm     Comments: 8

Redwood? Huh. Kinda flammable, don't cha think?

posted by madjack on Jun 21, 2017 at 09:12:19 pm     #

Place an add on craigslist

posted by jamesteroh on Jun 21, 2017 at 10:24:25 pm     #

I would recommend Jeffers. Gurtzweiler seems like overkill.

posted by justread on Jun 22, 2017 at 05:34:13 am     #

Shoulda said "synthetic " redwood

posted by gunz1 on Jun 22, 2017 at 06:55:40 am     #

Couple of thoughts. Sign companies have smaller cranes vs. big riggers like Jeffers. Possible lower cost to remove. HVAC contractors use sign shops regularly for lifting. Worth a call. Second, you mentioned "over the garage." If over the garage has pavement adjacent next to it (on the ground), a forklift with large pallet is a possibility. May have to remove a section of railing though. Just trying to be creative. Best of luck.

posted by RobRob on Jun 23, 2017 at 07:20:00 am     #

Were you there when it was put in? Do you know how it got there in the first place?

If you're just going to give it away, anyway, I'd just take it apart and scrap it or just part out the working parts (pumps, etc) and get some money out of it. If it were me, I'd do that before going through the hassle and expense of trying to get it down.

posted by JoeyGee on Jun 23, 2017 at 07:49:30 am     #

Joey's got the right idea. There are plenty of peeps running around with anger management issues today. Throw a sawzall and sledgehammer party. Don't serve the keg until the work is done.

posted by Mariner on Jun 23, 2017 at 07:58:58 am     #

I only put larger free items on Craigslist if I have it on the curb in front of my house. I don't trust anyone coming for a free item to respect my house and the free item if they're removing it.

That and you get the single moms showing up with their 8 year old son expecting to be able to load your hot tub into their 87 Honda Civic.

posted by JoeyGee on Jun 23, 2017 at 08:59:34 am     #