Toledo Blade Subscripton Renewal

Called this morning to cancel my subscription................renewal for one year $315.12 !!!! Very polite lady on the phone, processed my request to cancel. Did not even ask why I was cancelling (Not that it would of mattered). no attempt to keep me as a customer, was I dissatisfied ,etc...Glad I cut the cord, that price is just not reasonable IMO !

created by Hoops on Jun 26, 2017 at 08:10:07 am     Comments: 17

If it wasn't for Buckeye the Blade would have been history a while back.

I'm surprised they didn't offer to lower the price substantially Last few times I cancelled they dropped the price big time

posted by classylady on Jun 26, 2017 at 10:05:56 am     #

We've been getting Thursday and Sunday for free for a few years. We get a postcard every year telling us to enjoy the complimentary subscription numbers fluff. It's a PITA for me, but my wife likes the free coupons. I guess the occasional free spray paint cover helps.

Most of it goes straight to the recycle bin.

posted by JoeyGee on Jun 26, 2017 at 04:49:45 pm     #

I can hardly stop laughing - rec'd my Blade renewal - $585!!!!!

Bye, bye now Blade!

posted by Foodie on Jul 13, 2017 at 03:04:30 pm     #

Holy shit! $585!!!! Are you sure that wasn't for five years instead of one? You could probably buy a copy at the store every day for less than that.

posted by classylady on Jul 13, 2017 at 04:32:11 pm     #

If priced at it's true value, I could probably buy The Blade for $585.

posted by Foodie on Jul 14, 2017 at 09:11:53 am     #

You could buy it, hold it, and then sell it to someone who wants to develop it. Then you would be a health care company.

posted by justread on Jul 14, 2017 at 10:05:52 am     #   1 person liked this

Man, it's a good thing they moved away from the old afternoon delivery, young paperboy model. Talk about a moral hazard!

When I used to collect (I had a couple years before pay-by-mail was widespread, so we collected $ ourselves and paid The Blade for the papers) it was $7.60/month. There were times I was walking home with some serious cash. Multiplying that by 6+ would've been insane. I was 9.

Imagine them trying to collect from a bunch of kids who said screw em and kept the money, ha!

posted by Columbusguy on Jul 14, 2017 at 11:42:10 am     #

Columbusguy posted at 11:42:10 AM on Jul 14, 2017:

When I delivered The Blade, we had to pay Mr. Gans in that little building on Sylvania Avenue. He was kind of scary to an 11 year old. A bunch of customers stiffed me so I just delivered for free. I wasn't going to rip off old Mr. Gans.

I think my left shoulder is still lower than my right.

posted by justread on Jul 14, 2017 at 12:54:39 pm     #   1 person liked this

Did you have one of these?

My mom found mine while clearing out her attic recently, I can't wait to get it from her.

posted by Columbusguy on Jul 14, 2017 at 01:05:29 pm     #

Oh yeah.

When I opened the link, it kind of startled me. Like a ghost. :D

posted by justread on Jul 14, 2017 at 01:37:10 pm     #

I delivered for a small town paper in 6th and 7th grade and it was one of the biggest PITA jobs I ever had and I know I didn't even make minimum wage in the end. It was after schools Monday to Friday, Saturday morning and luckily we didn't publish on Sundays (can't remember if we did on holidays or not).

One of the biggest pains was collecting and then having the customers not be home. At least the paper I delivered for allowed you to fill out a form if they didn't pay after four weeks and they suspended the subscription and would credit it back on your bill if they didn't pay. The job would have been so much easier if people would have had to pay by mail. Other than the tips. Most people didn't tip but I had these two sweet old sisters on my route and they always gave me a $1 tip every week even though the subscription was 75 cents a week and I had a few people that would give me $1 and tell me to keep the quarter every week (that was another thing I hated we had to collect weekly but some people would pay every month).

I had a similar bag like that on ebay

posted by jamesteroh on Jul 14, 2017 at 01:47:47 pm     #

With the information I have received from Toledo Talk, I called the Blade about my renewal for a year. Invoice was $315.00. Told to pay $185 for 52 weeks. Thanks folks.

posted by Trilby on Jul 14, 2017 at 04:26:25 pm     #

I had one of those bags. I hated delivering the paper and hated collecting more. We had Mr Marion who would come to our house to pick up the payment for the papers. Being female was helpful at Christmas time, I did get good tips.

posted by trixanne on Jul 14, 2017 at 06:35:33 pm     #

I also had a bag that i put in the basket on the front of the bike so I could throw the papers to the porch. Ruined many tee shirts covering them with ink as i folded the papers to throw. Also hated the one sunday every February when the Scope insert was included that doubled the size of the paper. Also didn't like the special requests to put the paper between the storm and front doors or in the mailbox or the back door.

posted by Mike21 on Jul 14, 2017 at 08:13:01 pm     #

I never had a route of my own, but my older siblings did. I filled in on days they couldn't do it. The bag weighed more than I did most days. I also remember the little office in Sylvania. I think it's a plumbing company now.

posted by JoeyGee on Jul 14, 2017 at 09:42:37 pm     #

Had numerous special requests and usually remembered them all. For some reason the jack ass I have delivering my paper now can't figure out a start and stop date to save his life.
My favorite was Mr Dingley waiting in the driveway on the weekends at 6:30am asking me why are you so late.

posted by trixanne on Jul 15, 2017 at 01:47:49 pm     #

My route was in my neighborhood. Picked my papers up at the station on Gay St and could be done in a half an hour. I was lucky with collecting but I had a good neighborhood. Great tips at Christmas time.

posted by TrilbyGuy on Jul 15, 2017 at 02:12:22 pm     #