Very impressed with Promenade Park

Glad the rain didn't happen tonight. Beautiful night for the Art Loop.

Boyfriend and I took a long walk tonight and walk by Promenade Park.

Very impressed. I don't understand why people complained about the change a few years ago. Huge improvement and concerts are coming back. I hope they are free and don't charge an entrance fee.

Even though a parking garage is taking up some of the green space it still looks a lot better than it did previously. The green space wasn't being used anyway and the parking garage looks good and the old Steam Plant looks great.

I'll take a parking garage with the improved landscaping over unused green space any day.

created by classylady on Jul 20, 2017 at 11:28:27 pm     Comments: 28

Very impressed. Something new happened pretty much daily there! :) Concerts start tonight!

posted by stooks on Jul 21, 2017 at 07:03:07 am     #

People in general are reluctant to accept change, and find it easier to complain than to give something a chance. I am down there very often thru the construction process and am continued to be impressed.

posted by Hoops on Jul 21, 2017 at 08:01:18 am     #

We're heading down there tonight. Can't wait!

posted by endcycle on Jul 21, 2017 at 09:30:29 am     #

Hoops posted at 08:01:18 AM on Jul 21, 2017:

Just imagine the outcry if they had added a roundabout to the mix!

posted by SensorG on Jul 21, 2017 at 01:44:07 pm     #   1 person liked this

They did an amazing job on the entire project.

Summit street northbound is temporarily fenced in between Jefferson and Adams and street traffic won't be able to get through for the food trucks so should be a great turn out.

I'm not a big Bowersox fan but will go down for a little bit to grab something to eat off the food trucks and catch a little bit of the opening act.

posted by jamesteroh on Jul 21, 2017 at 03:07:55 pm     #

The photos from tonight are infuckingcredible. http://www.toledoblade.com/Music-Theater-Dance/2017/07/21/GALLERY-Toledoans-flock-to-Promenade-Park-for-outdoor-concert.html

posted by upso on Jul 21, 2017 at 11:08:13 pm     #

I went for a little bit. Good time and lots of people despite the heat.

I like how they close off the east side of summit and put up the temporary fencing and having the food trucks there.

The screen on the garage is really cool.

posted by jamesteroh on Jul 22, 2017 at 12:19:35 am     #

I didn't make it out Friday night, but we stopped by the park Saturday morning. It's absolutely beautiful. Promedica nailed it.

posted by endcycle on Jul 24, 2017 at 09:34:08 am     #

Couple of questions.....

Isnt that blue echo sculpture right in the sight lines to the stage? Or is it far less intrusive than it looks?

Did they show the stage on the big screen during the concert?

As you are looking at the stage from Summit....what is still under construction to the left (and closer to Summit) ? Is that going to be fountains?

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:10:08 am     #

They are putting a permanent stage down there that will not be in that location.

Those are fountains.

posted by slowsol on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:11:09 am     #

They are installing fountains. They showed the concert on the screen during the concert. I'm hoping they'll do movie nights like they did at the small park by the Mudhens stadium.

The Barry Bagel looks like that will be ready to open very soon. Whilst I like PJ's Delis food I hate their hours. They close at 1:30 and sometimes I will skip my lunch and just want something like a bagel around 2 and they're already closed. Or there have been times where I have gotten over there at 1 and they were out of everything I wanted.

I wish Dunkin Donuts would open up downtown with the influx of people. There is an awesome bakeshop that opened up at One Seagate recently but no donuts.

posted by classylady on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:44:35 am     #

slowsol posted at 10:11:09 AM on Jul 24, 2017:

Those are fountains.

Do you happen to know where the permanent stage is going to be?

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jul 24, 2017 at 12:55:59 pm     #

Where is the Barry Bagel going?
I feel bad for PJs. It's going to totally destroy their business.
Wonder if Barry will continue to supply them their bagels?

posted by upso on Jul 24, 2017 at 01:07:54 pm     #

upso posted at 01:07:54 PM on Jul 24, 2017:

Where is the Barry Bagel going?
I feel bad for PJs. It's going to totally destroy their business.

Wonder if Barry will continue to supply them their bagels?

Isn't PJ's located where Barry's used to be located?

posted by clt212 on Jul 24, 2017 at 01:28:27 pm     #

Yes, they basically took over the business model including selling Barry Bagels.

posted by upso on Jul 24, 2017 at 01:35:20 pm     #

BB is going on the first floor of the Junction Bldg

posted by Hoops on Jul 24, 2017 at 01:58:35 pm     #

BulldogBuckeye posted at 12:55:59 PM on Jul 24, 2017:
slowsol posted at 10:11:09 AM on Jul 24, 2017:

Those are fountains.

Do you happen to know where the permanent stage is going to be?

I think it's still up for debate, but it looks like it's going to face perpendicular to the river. Probably behind the parking garage.

posted by slowsol on Jul 24, 2017 at 02:29:31 pm     #

At the substantial risk of being skewered, I can't help but have mixed feelings about this. Yes, I think it is great that Promedica is relocating to downtown and all of the additional economic activity that will attract. And, since Promenade Park had literally been abandoned by the city, it is great to see it come to life.

However, as nice as it all appears to be turning out, let's not forget what Promedica's primary purpose is (or is supposed to be): health care. The millions upon millions being spent all add to our health care costs. And that's just Promedica here in Toledo. Multiply such projects by who-knows-how-many more across the country - all adding to the cost of health care - without any actual health benefit - which affects all of us.

With health care costs constantly on the increase - often by double digits every year - I can't help but wonder just how much these grand projects add to those costs.

posted by Foodie on Jul 26, 2017 at 02:35:07 pm     #   5 people liked this

Foodie, I don't disagree with this. I have a slightly different perspective on it, but I think we're on the same page. I'm a breast cancer survivor and all of my imaging is done at Promedica facilities. I noticed a significant decline in customer service a couple of years ago, both with the breast care center and with the facility where I was sent to deal with edema complications. The people working directly with clients were great, but getting phone calls returned or even getting someone to answer the phone was damn near impossible. With all of the money they're sinking into development and these nice shiny buildings, I would hope they'd be beefing up front line employees as well.

And how about hiring some more doctors?? I'm dreading the day that my PCP retires, because I've been watching my son and daughter-in-law try to find a doctor that's taking new patients and pretty much no one is.

Combine that with the cost increases, and it makes it a little hard to swallow the idea of all those shiny buildings. (And just as an aside...I strongly dislike the new building on Monroe Street where one of my docs is now. I feel like I'm walking into a hospital every time I go for a checkup. Not the vibe I want!)

posted by valbee on Jul 26, 2017 at 04:01:30 pm     #   1 person liked this

I think the profitable players in the medical sector have decided to sink money into real estate and fabulous projects (like really swanky health/fitness clubs) because they can't be seen on paper to be making huge buckets of money.

It looks better if they can point to so many millions spent on community facilities ... buying land, building or rehabbing, and staffing the new facilities are all expenditures that would reduce the "profit" figure on their annual reports.

posted by viola on Jul 26, 2017 at 04:47:03 pm     #

Valbee, I could not agree more about the Monroe St facility. I really do not like going in there. Too big, too flashy.

posted by JoeyGee on Jul 26, 2017 at 05:12:59 pm     #

The good news for downtown is, given Toledo's place among the most obese cities, business will be booming for Promedica for a long time.

posted by JoeyGee on Jul 26, 2017 at 05:16:08 pm     #   2 people liked this

Agreed. It was a great night!

posted by AngieDackle on Aug 02, 2017 at 12:33:09 am     #

Did anybody see the "THAT MAN! GET HIM!" photo of Randy Oostra in The Blade? I think he might be pointing to UTMC and saying "I'll take that."

posted by justread on Aug 03, 2017 at 06:09:04 am     #   1 person liked this

I think the area is nice, I just wish they could have figured something else out with that parking garage. Every other major city seems to be tearing down waterfront structures and we decided to build a new building on the waterfront. I think in the end it will be better for the city, just wish we didn't have another building on the river.

posted by oriontank on Aug 03, 2017 at 08:53:46 am     #

i will be interested to see how the new garage affects the views and setting for Fort Industry Square... I believe the long length of the new parking garage should have gone parallel with Summit and not perpendicular so it crossed over and past Water Street ... thereby blocking views for Fort Industry. Sure it makes for a nice airy campus feeling for the power plant HQ for Promedica but at the expense of others... also, as a public park how much control and freedom to change things will Promedica have at Promenade ?! in the big picture my point is Toledo can have both good planning and new projects but the pols ignore their own Plan Commission and allow almost any developer investment to have free rein...

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Aug 03, 2017 at 10:30:27 am     #

Perhaps we should take a look at who's contributing to the pols war chests?

posted by Foodie on Aug 03, 2017 at 11:21:49 am     #