What is gong on on 75 in Michigan?

Just got on 75 at exit 9 traffic both directions is shut down and I saw a bomb squad truck. Any idea what is going on?

created by not_me on Aug 10, 2017 at 07:24:40 am     Comments: 14

Somebody is in a standoff with police around mile marker 9.

posted by In_vin_veritas on Aug 10, 2017 at 07:31:30 am     #

Hopefully it is cleared up by this afternoon, I got to head north to Canada !

posted by Hoops on Aug 10, 2017 at 07:45:03 am     #

I was heading north to work this morning and at 6:15 am I came to a dead stop about a half mile short of the Erie exit. It took me another hour and a half to make it to Luna Pier where they are forcing you to exit and head west towards Dixie and Telegraph. I said screw that and called work to have them put me in for a vacation day and I headed back south and came home. Telegraph and Dixie are both backed up and damn near standstills also. A guy I work with in Monroe lives on Erie Rd and he is still trying to get home for the last 3 hours.

posted by Erin on Aug 10, 2017 at 08:30:27 am     #

posted by Erin on Aug 10, 2017 at 08:30:28 am     #

posted by Erin on Aug 10, 2017 at 08:30:35 am     #

I was trying to head west towards Sylvania instead of south, so I was able to get past the backups for the most part, but it still added 15 minutes to my drive.

When I first saw the backup, I just figured it was an accident, but then I saw the bomb squad vehicles and got concerned. At this point I couldn't go home if I wanted to - there is only one road into my neighborhood and it's blocked off. You can get out but you can't get in.

posted by not_me on Aug 10, 2017 at 09:07:26 am     #

They had a sign posted on the electronic board that the freeway was closed at Exit 6. I just got off the exit before and avoided the mess and then got right back on. It was a 5 minute detour. Not sure why people drive all the way up the spot where the freeway is closed.

posted by toledoramblingman on Aug 10, 2017 at 10:26:04 am     #

Looks like they have the suspect in custody as of 11:30am or so

posted by ahmahler on Aug 10, 2017 at 11:02:11 am     #

toledoramblingman posted at 11:26:04 AM on Aug 10, 2017:

What way did you take from exit 5 that only took you five more minutes to get to exit 11?

posted by not_me on Aug 10, 2017 at 12:49:14 pm     #

Is I-75 reopened yet? I need to go to Detroit in about an hour

posted by jamesteroh on Aug 10, 2017 at 02:36:35 pm     #

jamesteroh posted at 03:36:35 PM on Aug 10, 2017:

Is I-75 reopened yet? I need to go to Detroit in about an hour

Standoff ended about 11:30, traffic was supposed to be reopened but I haven't driven it yet.

posted by not_me on Aug 10, 2017 at 02:44:41 pm     #

WJR reported that it has re-opened. The "suspect" who turned out to be someone who was suicidal, was taken into custody.

posted by Foodie on Aug 10, 2017 at 02:55:07 pm     #