Mama C's donut case made MSN/CBS news

How come every time Toledo makes national news it's usually something negative? I'm surprised this story was even worthy of any coverage outside the local area.

And they waited over an entire day to investigate: "I was texted Sunday morning about 2 a.m. or so that there was something going on. Monday morning, we came in and started the investigation and found out that at this point in time the investigation is looking to Mama C's," said Zgodinski.

They should have been investigating that Sunday morning not waiting until Monday

created by classylady on Aug 10, 2017 at 01:12:42 pm     Comments: 13

I don't believe the health department is open during the weekend.

posted by upso on Aug 10, 2017 at 02:53:50 pm     #

I don't think it really mattered that they waited until Monday, the damage was already done. When the owners let their little kids with grubby filthy hands serve the customers, this is what happens. I have no sympathy for them whatsoever.

posted by dell_diva on Aug 10, 2017 at 03:54:42 pm     #   1 person liked this

The Blade said they have a sign saying they were closed and ran out of donuts:) I guess that is the truth if they didn't make any donuts:)

posted by jamesteroh on Aug 10, 2017 at 04:44:55 pm     #

posted by jamesteroh on Aug 10, 2017 at 04:45:02 pm     #

Lots of trucks and cameras over their tonight. Any thoughts to whether they can survive this hit to their reputation? I give them 20% chance of survival through the end of the year.

posted by Molsonator on Aug 10, 2017 at 09:10:00 pm     #

Drove by tonight-had a full disaster cleanup company there. I don't think they're taking it lightly. This shit (no pun intended) could happen to anyone. I've heard the family that owns it are really good people. I suspect, this is a one time thing.

posted by ahmahler on Aug 10, 2017 at 10:14:39 pm     #

Chipotle survived though admittedly they have not seen a return to same sales level.

posted by not_me on Aug 11, 2017 at 12:52:48 pm     #

Chipotle is a national brand. Mama C's will lose most of the resell customers just from them ordering from different suppliers while they are shut down. Not to mention the cost if anyone decides to
sue.
I wonder if Grounds for Thought will lose customers because of it? Maybe.

posted by Molsonator on Aug 11, 2017 at 01:09:00 pm     #

Something to keep in mind - from what I hear, not a single employee at Mama C's was ill.

Know what that tells me?

It tells me some schmuck took a dump at home, played with some raw chicken, did some gardening, and then took another dump ALL WITHOUT WASHING his or her hands, then decided "oh hey, donuts sound good", at which point he or she walked into Mama Cs, touching every possible surface they could, and then hacked and sneezed a few times as well.

I don't know that I'd put any of this on the Mama Cs folks. Sounds like they're doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing, too.

posted by endcycle on Aug 11, 2017 at 02:52:48 pm     #

But what was it really?

posted by Molsonator on Aug 12, 2017 at 07:29:35 am     #

Or... the employees didn't eat any of the donuts? ;)

posted by wahhutch9 on Aug 12, 2017 at 08:41:09 am     #

Non-hand washing probably played a part but hacking and sneezing all over the food, most likely no. The Hub really likes the owners but he was a little put-off with the way the kids were involved in selling and how they were allowed to play in the front around teh counters. Norovirus runs rampant in day care and other small child confines, as well as cruise ships and any place else large groups of people gather. Its a shame, I hope they recover.

posted by nana on Aug 12, 2017 at 10:52:29 am     #

There was a donut vendor at the Maumee Summer Fair this morning. I heard several people walking buy say "no chance" when looking at them. It's going to leave a mark, folks.

posted by Molsonator on Aug 12, 2017 at 06:56:27 pm     #