Pizza Cat/Pizza Lion Ripped Off

Pizza Cat, a relatively new entry into the pizza market in Toledo, is unfortunately being mauled by a business with which they had an agreement. I would like to know the whole story, if anyone has it. BLUE AGAVE Margarita & Tequila Bar had Pizza Cat selling their wares occasionally (?) under the name Pizza Lion.

All of a sudden (9/7), they lock out the Pizza Cat team, and start using the Pizza Lion name themselves. They even parked the pizzaliontoledo.com domain name BEFORE the hostile takeover (8/25).

It's crazy. And if it really went down the way it appears to have gone down, they have a lot of 'splainin' to do.

Personally, I love Pizza Cat's unique style (you order via Facebook messaging), the pizza is great with interesting choices, and let's face it: It's pretty brave to open Yet-another-pizza-place in Toledo.

Anyone have the skinny on this? Sussing out the truth is right up TT's alley!

created by gamegrrl on Sep 12, 2017 at 09:20:04 pm     Food     Comments: 36

So weird-I spoke to a woman who said she was managing the "South location" while at Earnest Brew Works a couple of weeks ago. It may have been the beer, but I though she said they were going to fully take over that space and just use the "Pizzza Cat" name.

posted by ahmahler on Sep 12, 2017 at 09:34:47 pm     #

Same guy as Scrubs and Grubs, where it appeared as though members of M13 waited on you, made the food, and hung out in small groups talking quietly about things you would never understand.

Maybe the owner of Pizza Cat should go in witness protection for a while.

posted by justread on Sep 13, 2017 at 04:08:54 am     #   1 person liked this

That bar had some trouble a couple of years ago. Personally, I have never been in it. I read recently that Andrew Zepedas girlfirend just started working there, so is he involved? Or is this part of the group that owns multiple bar/restaurants in the Toledo area ?

posted by Hoops on Sep 13, 2017 at 07:43:43 am     #

Facebook and Yelp are blowing up over this. I didn't know that they were selling Pizza Cat out of the Blue Agave and it's only a mile from my house. Going to keep avoiding...

posted by SensorG on Sep 13, 2017 at 08:54:01 am     #   1 person liked this

Blue Agave is baaaad news. Trust me on this . I would avoid.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Sep 13, 2017 at 09:02:25 am     #   2 people liked this

Hoops posted at 08:43:43 AM on Sep 13, 2017:

Under the terms of his probation for prior incidents, he's not supposed to have any involvement with restaurants that serve alcohol.

Earlier this year, he was sentenced to 6 months in prison for violating that condition. He may still be in prison now - his sentencing was in April.

If he happened to be released before his 6 months were up, one would hope that he wasn't foolish enough to get involved in a restaurant/bar venture that quickly!

posted by mom2 on Sep 13, 2017 at 09:59:47 am     #

He didn't show up in an OTIS search, so maybe he was released early?

posted by mom2 on Sep 13, 2017 at 10:03:00 am     #

Where is this place????

posted by classylady on Sep 13, 2017 at 10:06:23 am     #

Are Pizza Cat & Pizza Lion code names for something or is this the strangest thread since someone was looking for a nude bartender for a party?

posted by Molsonator on Sep 13, 2017 at 10:08:02 am     #   6 people liked this

He is out, served his time per his FB page. I was curious if it is owned by the group that also owns Paddy Jacks, BackYard BBQ, Sunrise Skilet, etc

posted by Hoops on Sep 13, 2017 at 10:31:10 am     #

posted by Hoops on Sep 13, 2017 at 10:31:39 am     #

This needs to get on the news. People in Toledo may not care about elections for stupid stuff like mayor and city council, but once they hear about pizza being threatened...watch out.

posted by JoeyGee on Sep 13, 2017 at 11:42:15 am     #   7 people liked this

Hoops posted at 11:31:39 AM on Sep 13, 2017:

The group that owns(ed) So Sweet Pastries and Platinum Showgirls.

posted by justread on Sep 13, 2017 at 12:00:01 pm     #

yikes: https://www.yelp.com/biz/blue-agave-margarita-and-tequila-bar-toledo

posted by upso on Sep 13, 2017 at 02:37:15 pm     #

justread posted at 01:00:01 PM on Sep 13, 2017:
Hoops posted at 11:31:39 AM on Sep 13, 2017:

The group that owns(ed) So Sweet Pastries and Platinum Showgirls.

Hold up. Are you saying that the people who own So Sweet also own Platinum?

posted by dell_diva on Sep 13, 2017 at 03:18:01 pm     #   1 person liked this

My comment has two verb tenses. Yours has one.

posted by justread on Sep 13, 2017 at 05:48:22 pm     #   1 person liked this

Hey, this was just posted on Colleen's Facebook Page:
Hey guys
Just a quick note
Last week I helped a friend of mine who is a bartender at Blue Agave Bar on Reynolds.
They were short handed.
I wasn't running it
I don't own it
I was never even an employee
I was just helping out for a couple days
Andrew Z Zepeda was up there hanging out with me a couple days while I worked.
I'm no longer needed to fill in and will not be there this weekend for those asking
Thanks

posted by golddustwoman on Sep 14, 2017 at 12:13:50 pm     #

Ok- I think we need a scorecard to see who is playing the game-I am fairly confused.

Pizza Cat-Had opened a satellite location inside Blue Agave called Pizza Lion, and that was subsequently, what, poached? Equipment stolen? Name Stolen? By some guy that owns Blue agave? And now there is a Pizza Kitten, inside the OT?

Side note-This is a good example of a seemingly good marketing concept going off the rails. Confusion by marketing and name variation is a sin. You leave yourself open to intellectual poaching.

Who is the guy that owns Blue Agave-What else does he own? Ahmed Dia?

How is Andrew Z involved? The above comment sounds like his girlfriend helped out, but didn't work there, that was the confusion?

BTW-Pizza Cat is usually available at Earnest Brew Works (Wed, Thurs & Sat)

posted by ahmahler on Sep 14, 2017 at 12:41:15 pm     #   1 person liked this

The only thing that could make this more interesting is if they served Mexican Pizza there.

posted by Molsonator on Sep 14, 2017 at 02:20:12 pm     #   4 people liked this

Need an air traffic controller in here to keep this story flying straight...

posted by oriontank on Sep 14, 2017 at 02:38:38 pm     #   1 person liked this

Every time I open this thread, it reminds me of the time Snoop Dogg tried changing his name to Snoop Lion.

posted by mom2 on Sep 14, 2017 at 04:01:36 pm     #   1 person liked this

That naked bartender thread must have been before my time here, so by default this is the weirdest thread I've read. I'm thoroughly confused, and I kinda like it.

posted by JoeyGee on Sep 14, 2017 at 04:44:17 pm     #

JoeyGee posted at 05:44:17 PM on Sep 14, 2017:

What? Naked Bartender? Someone help me out here...

posted by ahmahler on Sep 14, 2017 at 06:16:53 pm     #

It was awhile ago. I had almost forgotten about it.

Someone was looking to hire a bartender for a private party. The bartender was being hired to serve drinks sans clothing.

I'll see if I can find it in a search.

posted by mom2 on Sep 14, 2017 at 06:32:29 pm     #

Did you know that the founder of Domino' s Pizza titled his autobiography "Pizza Tiger" ?
I know that's because he also owned the Detroit Tigers for awhile, but I just thought that random fact about Pizza Tiger belonged in this strange yet fascinating Pizza Cat/Pizza Lion thread.

posted by foodie88 on Sep 14, 2017 at 08:01:27 pm     #   2 people liked this

Has anyone here commenting on this thread had Pizza Cat? At best, it's okay. Gino's without the sweet sauce. Can't even pick the size of your pie. Get it "Colony Style" for weird nostalgia that you don't understand! Hashtag #KeepColonyWeird

posted by TrilbyGuy on Sep 14, 2017 at 10:29:04 pm     #   2 people liked this

I think it's really good!

posted by upso on Sep 14, 2017 at 10:37:10 pm     #   1 person liked this

mom2 posted at 07:32:29 PM on Sep 14, 2017:

It was awhile ago. I had almost forgotten about it.

I'll see if I can find it in a search.

I think there was a Craig's List ad involved for an Old West End party, and this is the thread it was in.

Some of the jokes must have been based on current events, because they don't make sense now. Some are classic, like you suggesting that drinks be ordered shaken, not stirred. :)

posted by justread on Sep 15, 2017 at 04:15:33 am     #   1 person liked this

Didn't we find out later through the Police Blotter that it was upso's party?

posted by Molsonator on Sep 15, 2017 at 04:43:15 am     #

Ah, that's right. It stemmed from a Craigslist ad. That explains why I couldn't find it on a keyword search. Thanks for finding, justread.

I wish one of us had posted the text from the actual ad before it expired.

posted by mom2 on Sep 15, 2017 at 06:41:59 am     #

Memory is a tricky device. I just know in about three years' time, I'll type "remember that one thread about Andrew Z being a naked bar tender at Upso's party?".

You're welcome for that visual.

posted by JoeyGee on Sep 15, 2017 at 07:03:49 am     #   3 people liked this

JoeyGee, I agree memory is a tricky device, and some of our memories by then will also think there was pizza at the party and either a lion or a cat in the story too, but we won't remember exactly how or why.

Which just made me think of the movie Hangover, remember when the guys woke up the next morning and there was a tiger in their hotel room, and apparently they had stolen it from Mike Tyson ? Talk about random, haha.....

Just doing my part to keep this thread going in so many directions, while still keeping it a tiny bit on topic.

posted by foodie88 on Sep 15, 2017 at 07:46:45 am     #   2 people liked this

We really like Pizza Cat pizza, and are much more likely to drive to pick it up than to order Vito's with delivery. Our favorite so far is the 2X Pepperoni, and we also like the East Side Samoan a lot.

Oh, and I don't really care for pizza. To me, it's always been a desperation food: Nothing in the kitchen or no one in the house has the time/energy to actually make something for dinner.

posted by gamegrrl on Sep 15, 2017 at 02:58:54 pm     #

While they haven't updated their website yet... Pizza Cat now accepts phone orders! 419-359-5521

posted by upso on Oct 03, 2017 at 12:20:38 pm     #

We tried their pizza last week. It is very reminiscent of Gino's, although with much different toppings. I got the North End BBQ, which had BBQ sauce instead of crust, cheese, and BBQ brisket. It was very tasty, but super greasy. I had a hard time getting past the grease, TBH.

We also picked up a pepperoni, mushroom and banana pepper pizza. I like thick-cut, sauteed mushrooms. These were exceedingly thin, raw 'shrooms.

Probably won't be back.