Any word on the half demo'd hotel at Jefferson and Summit?

last I heard about a month ago was that new news was pending.....havent heard anything since. Any whispers?

created by BulldogBuckeye on Sep 27, 2017 at 01:45:36 pm     Comments: 17

I could make something up, but that would be a Careless Whisper.

posted by JoeyGee on Sep 27, 2017 at 08:20:17 pm     #

It will be announced very soon, and if what I have heard is true, it's good news.

posted by upso on Sep 27, 2017 at 08:35:23 pm     #   1 person liked this

I guess I would be shocked if anyone would use that building. The layout is so strange. I have just been hoping they finish the job and demolish it.

posted by glasscityguy on Sep 28, 2017 at 07:46:30 am     #   1 person liked this

upso posted at 09:35:23 PM on Sep 27, 2017:

why post this and not share what you know it with the the forum? Its ok to use a caveat that its "just what I heard". My guess is that there is going to be a major overhaul of the convention center and that corner is part of it.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Sep 28, 2017 at 08:23:27 am     #

Strange that they started tearing down the building and stopped after it was halfway down before deciding to save it.

I always though it should have been turned into residential like the commodore perry. Great location and attached parking and had a pool

posted by classylady on Sep 28, 2017 at 08:39:36 am     #

upso posted at 09:35:23 PM on Sep 27, 2017:

Care to share?

posted by ckbeats21 on Sep 28, 2017 at 08:45:34 am     #

BulldogBuckeye posted at 09:23:27 AM on Sep 28, 2017:
upso posted at 09:35:23 PM on Sep 27, 2017:

I can only speak for myself, but I imagine upso is in a similar position: sometimes we're entrusted with information that isn't meant for public consumption yet. Part of it might be because it affects us in some way, part might just be because someone trusts us with the information. And in some of those cases, it's an issue of it being someone else's news to break. If your friend calls you and says he's having a baby, you don't go tell everyone. You let him do it.

posted by Johio83 on Sep 28, 2017 at 10:07:05 am     #   3 people liked this

Well we do know the three headed county cobra has to spend some mullah somewhere since they were not able to put a new jail together or else wind up with an obscene rainy day fund which would be embarrassing and also interrupt the flow of we need more.

posted by Mariner on Sep 28, 2017 at 10:18:33 am     #

yup!

posted by upso on Sep 28, 2017 at 10:21:49 am     #   1 person liked this

ok that yup was for johio :)

posted by upso on Sep 28, 2017 at 10:22:17 am     #

ok you don't have to give me a yup or an amen but the post was both accurate and true. The county government keeps making a strong case against unigov anytime soon.

posted by Mariner on Sep 28, 2017 at 10:27:32 am     #

They received proposals on it. The last I heard it was between Prater as a residential development and Steve Roumaya's group as a hotel.

The county was leaning towards Prater because he was bringing all the money himself and asking little of the county. Roumaya's required more funding or guarantees from the county.

The other rumor that I've heard has some real teeth is that they had a major bust during the abatement activities which resulted in a massive change order to the abatement contractor. The change order depleted their budget and didn't allow them to complete demolition. It was something along the lines of the ceilings in the building not shown as containing asbestos on the bid documents, but actually testing "hot" once the abatement started. After that, damage control began with the "we've got a developer that wants to buy it".

This would be a fairly easy thing for the Blade to look into with public information requests.

Just what I've heard.

posted by slowsol on Sep 28, 2017 at 04:01:33 pm     #

I've heard both of the two rumored groups you mentioned, but hadn't heard about the budgetary issue. I was told by two different well-connected people about a week apart that a deal would be announced back in mid August, but neither wanted to share info as to who the buyer was. One said "soon," and the other said "within a month." So, who knows.

posted by Johio83 on Sep 28, 2017 at 04:33:16 pm     #

I'm sure they just don't want to steal the city's thunder before they make that Southwyck announcement.

posted by JoeyGee on Sep 28, 2017 at 04:43:13 pm     #   1 person liked this

I heard today that title work has been ordered. Sounds like wheels are in motion.

posted by Johio83 on Sep 29, 2017 at 02:39:59 pm     #

Hope there is official news soon.......on a related note, when will the Tower on the Maumee (or whatever its called) have residents and when is the entire thing supposed to be done. Havent heard much o this lately. Any new commercial developments there?

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Oct 02, 2017 at 10:11:51 am     #

I believe Tower on the Maumee is slated for early 2018. They're still working on it daily. Directions Credit Union is also moving into 3 floors of it.

posted by idinspired on Oct 02, 2017 at 10:34:14 am     #