What local bars are showing the world series?

We have direct TV and they haven't carried Channel 36 in over a month. Boyfriend is getting irritated he can't watch the world series.

Are there any local bars that have Buckeye or DISH? No downtown bars have Buckeye, every bar has Direct. We were told that Buckeye has some agreement that in exchange for getting the feed to carry the Mudhen and Walleye's game they won't provide service to downtown bars. I wasn't sure if that extended to all the bars in the city or just downtown. We tried using an antenna and even though 36 is less than a mile from us we can't get a signal, I think it's due to the age of our building.

I'd love to cut the cable (or dish in this case) if we could get the local stations with an antenna or paying buckeye for the cheapest lineup they have. Seeing people can't watch the World Series or a lot of football games it seems like a valid excuse to get out of a contract. I'm going to call tomorrow and request a credit.

created by classylady on Oct 29, 2017 at 11:21:53 pm     Comments: 20

The WUPW antenna is broadcasting from a location just east of N. Lallendorf between Seaman and Corduroy, so probably 4-5 miles east northeast from you. If you have a river view, you should get a beautiful picture. You would essentially have line of sight. It is not a weak stick. They do not broadcast from the WTOL studios. Although I know they have microwave to/from there. As they did at Four Seagate when they were an actual station.

Perhaps you are on the other side of the building, or something isn't hooked up right.

posted by justread on Oct 30, 2017 at 05:27:32 am     #

I looked at a map. Almost due east from 43604. It's the closest antenna of all the local stations broadcasting from Oregon.

posted by justread on Oct 30, 2017 at 05:50:28 am     #

That's a bummer that you can't get a signal. I'm guessing it is something with your building.

When we had DirecTV, we didn't pay extra for the local channel packages, and we got a signal for 36 out in Sylvania. I'd think downtown would be fine.

I think possibly Sidelines has Buckeye, but you may want to call ahead to be sure. I'm pretty sure Ralphies has DirecTV. Not sure about Frickers or BW3.

posted by mom2 on Oct 30, 2017 at 06:36:59 am     #

Update - I checked with someone who works at Sidelines

The Telegraph Rd location has DirecTV, but there is 1 TV in the dining area and 1 TV at the bar that are on Buckeye. (Corner of Telegraph and Alexis - I think the location used to be the Ground Round.)

She suggested that someone who wants to see the World Series sit in the dining room near the wall with 4 big screens. One of those big screens is hooked up to Buckeye.

posted by mom2 on Oct 30, 2017 at 08:06:39 am     #

I also have Direct TV We've tried an antennae to get Channel 36 and cant get a signal. I'm in the Bancroft Reynolds area in a single family home. The most Direct TV would give us is a $5 monthly credit.

My negotiating skills were not up to par that day. I'd first find out what the cost is for the local channel package, then see what the average cost is for each channel. Something I should have done.

posted by holland on Oct 30, 2017 at 08:45:05 am     #

I also have DirecTV and it sucks not being able to watch the world series. The only time I watch Fox is for the Simpson's on Sunday nights and I wasn't going to buy an antenna to watch one show, and a lot of times I'm not home when it's on anyway and watch it on DVR later.

I did a google search for alternatives and DirecTV isn't carrying other cities FOX affiliates that are owned by Raycon as well. This site has some suggestions but not sure how well they will work:

If he wants to watch the game downtown I think Frickers and the Hensville bars have Buckeye.

posted by jamesteroh on Oct 30, 2017 at 08:54:09 am     #

In Sylvania, 36 and 11 have been the most problematic with over the air antenna signal. Always had issues with the inside set top antennas.

Once I mounted one on my roof, signal has been fantastic for both.

posted by JoeyGee on Oct 30, 2017 at 10:40:46 am     #

Unless something changed since the spring, Fricker's downtown has buckeye and I believe Fleetwood's does as well. I have direct TV and have been using an antenna and get good reception in west Toledo. Just like holland said above, I got a 5 dollar credit on my bill.

posted by TrilbyGuy on Oct 30, 2017 at 11:45:35 am     #

Real reason to have the penthouse has been exposed in this thread.

posted by justread on Oct 30, 2017 at 12:21:34 pm     #

I have UVerse and have same problem with FOX. I have antenna in the house in Monclova and am getting a nice signal for the World Series

posted by wahhutch9 on Oct 30, 2017 at 12:26:55 pm     #

Download the Fox Sports Go app - if you have a DirecTV account, you can log into Fox Sports Go and watch.

posted by odnation on Oct 30, 2017 at 01:58:31 pm     #

odnation posted at 02:58:31 PM on Oct 30, 2017:

Same for Uverse. This is also how I've had to watch most Lions games this season, however, NFL, for some reason, will only stream through a box like Roku, Fire or Apple TV (which we use).

Must see JV tonight!

posted by ahmahler on Oct 31, 2017 at 06:57:56 am     #

I don't understand Buckeye having the "buy local" advertising and then providing service to local bars.

If Buckeye isn't willing to serve the local establishments that Toledo residents frequent why should I be obligated to use a local cable company over a national company?

posted by classylady on Oct 31, 2017 at 10:09:04 am     #

classylady posted at 11:09:04 AM on Oct 31, 2017:

Also, "buy local" but print the paper in suburban Detroit and taking those jobs outside of Toledo.

posted by mom2 on Oct 31, 2017 at 10:22:25 am     #   1 person liked this

Good point about the Blade being printed in Michigan. And not to mention the payments for Buckeye go to a lockbox in Cleveland instead of going to Buckeye locally employing a couple people to process them or the huge Blade building I see everytime I drive Southbound on I-75 that is outside of the city limits.

posted by classylady on Oct 31, 2017 at 01:55:02 pm     #

The Blade building you see along I-75 is a distribution center for routes in S. Toledo, and southern and eastern suburbs. There are currently three distribution centers, which is where the paper is trucked after it is printed in Sterling Heights to be given to drivers to deliver. It's referred to internally as the Fairfield center, with ones on Hill and Lewis as well. Each are staffed by Guild district managers, who coordinate and manage the delivery routes in the circulation department.

posted by Nolan_Rosenkrans on Oct 31, 2017 at 03:02:25 pm     #

What is a "World Series"?

posted by JoeyGee on Oct 31, 2017 at 03:52:40 pm     #   1 person liked this

Ohio State Vs Michigan is on Fox 36 this year. Will Channel 36 or their corporate parent be motivated to get back on Direct TV/ Uverse? They would screw over every bar in the region. I know a few spots have an antenna and or Buckeye but most have all of their TV's on Direct TV.

posted by TrilbyGuy on Nov 02, 2017 at 01:09:09 pm     #

If they don't, there will be a run on antennas that will rival a good old fashioned Toledo bottled water hysteria.

I love seeing broadcasters holding out against the big providers. Something has got to stop them and their ridiculous current pricing model.

Easy for me to say. I already cut the cord.

posted by JoeyGee on Nov 02, 2017 at 02:39:24 pm     #   1 person liked this

It sounds like Raycom is the greedy one in this case.

Why isn't direct just making a deal with Channel 2 out of Detroit and telling Raycom to pound sand? Channel 2 is owned by Fox so I'm sure they want their programming televised in Toledo. As a subscriber I really don't care what affiliate they have. The only time it would make a difference is with the local news and seeing we don't have 36 anyway it won't make a difference.

Seeing how many people drive to Detroit to use their airport and attend sporting events and concerts the channel 2 advertisers would love it.

posted by jamesteroh on Nov 03, 2017 at 02:00:01 pm     #